GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Entertainment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Entertainment TV, movies, music, books, sports, radio...

» GC Stats
Members: 326,145
Threads: 115,589
Welcome to our newest member, lopezsae
» Online Users: 1,401
1 members and 1,400 guests
JerricaB

Old 07-10-2010, 06:54 PM
GreekChat Member

The Voice of Faulkner

http://gardenandgun.com/newsletter/voice-faulkner

Quote:
Thanks to the University of Virginia, a new audio archive of the author reading, lecturing, and answering questions has recently been published online, accessible to the public for the first time. Nearly fifteen years in the works, the vast archive encompasses almost thirty hours of audio transferred from open-reel tapes.

Faulkner spent two years (1957 and 1958) at UVA as a writer-in-residence, speaking at classes and meetings with students, scholars, and Charlottesville townsfolk.

here are the recordings, courtesy of the University of Virginia.

http://faulkner.lib.virginia.edu/browse
Old 07-10-2010, 07:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Holy Cow! That is amazing and thank you for sharing this.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 07-29-2010, 08:41 PM
GreekChat Member

http://www.newsweek.com/2010/07/29/s...-him.html.html

not quite the same, but in the spirit of this thread. the link is to an article about an upcoming two hour documentary, Salinger, and an 800-page biography, The Private War of J. D. Salinger. there will be pictures that no one has seen, transcripts, and interviews with people that worked with him at The New Yorker.

Quote:
The Private War “will substantially rewrite the record of J. D. Salinger’s life, and correct many inaccurate stories that have been told for decades,” Salerno says.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Anyone else HATE Catcher in the Rye?

Just me?
Old 07-30-2010, 06:21 AM
GreekChat Member

why didn't you like it?
Old 07-30-2010, 09:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FHwku View Post
why didn't you like it?
It's been years now, but I didn't like Holden, I didn't find the writing all that spectacular, and I didn't really get the point. Then again, I didn't like The Light in August, Beloved, or The Great Gatsby either.

I don't like reading whole books in stream of consciousness, in dialect, and Gatsby was a book without a point.

(And I say this as an avid reader who likes all sorts of things.)
Old 07-30-2010, 10:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
Anyone else HATE Catcher in the Rye?

Quote:
Then again, I didn't like . . . The Great Gatsby either.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:30 AM
GreekChat Member

It's conceivable I'm just biased about things I was forced to read.

But I found both Catcher and Gatsby to be novels without purpose, with relatively unlikeable protagonists and Gatsby in particular was vapid as hell.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
It's conceivable I'm just biased about things I was forced to read.
Just giving you a hard time. That has certainly happened to all of us. I hated The Old Man and the Sea for that same reason, and I've had a hard time with Hemmingway ever since.

Quote:
But I found both Catcher and Gatsby to be novels without purpose, with relatively unlikeable protagonists and Gatsby in particular was vapid as hell.
You found Gatsby the book or Gatsby the character vapid? (Or both?) The character is supposed to be somewhat vapid.

As for Holden, I don't know that I ever liked him -- there were times I liked him, but I don't know that I'd want to spend too much time with him. But I did find him really interesting, and in some way, relatable. Part of what I found compelling about it was the realization that I was relating to a character I didn't necessarily like a lot.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
Just giving you a hard time. That has certainly happened to all of us. I hated The Old Man and the Sea for that same reason, and I've had a hard time with Hemmingway ever since.

You found Gatsby the book or Gatsby the character vapid? (Or both?) The character is supposed to be somewhat vapid.

As for Holden, I don't know that I ever liked him -- there were times I liked him, but I don't know that I'd want to spend too much time with him. But I did find him really interesting, and in some way, relatable. Part of what I found compelling about it was the realization that I was relating to a character I didn't necessarily like a lot.
Both Gatsby himself and the book in general. I didn't really feel like I could relate to Holden even when I was feeling some of the same things. He was entirely offputting. But then the only Jane Austen I've read was augmented by zombies and there were still moments where I was wondering WTF they were doing standing around talking and how in the world is there a plot without zombies.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:29 AM
GreekChat Member

i've been in the archive again seeing what all Faulkner had to say about what not. race relations (e.g. brown vs board of educ,) influences, character, and such. the most interesting bits, to me, are probably when Faulkner ends up touching on a lot of great authors. reading and hearing him touch briefly on Wolfe/Kerouac/Warren/Hemingway/Salinger/Joyce/Mann has been really cool. i wish there were more recordings of those guys or Twain or Alexander Graham Bell calling Thomas Edison and getting the first voice mail.

anyway, i just ran across one where he said something about Hemingway and Fitzgerald in an answer to a lady's question. it reminded me of MC's disdain for The Old Man and the Sea.http://faulkner.lib.virginia.edu/res...n&q=fitzgerald
Old 01-07-2011, 08:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Both Gatsby himself and the book in general. I didn't really feel like I could relate to Holden even when I was feeling some of the same things. He was entirely offputting. But then the only Jane Austen I've read was augmented by zombies and there were still moments where I was wondering WTF they were doing standing around talking and how in the world is there a plot without zombies.
Huh, I wondered why I felt like I'd written this before.
Old 08-10-2012, 05:14 PM
GreekChat Member

footage of Mark Twain, filmed by Thomas Edison. the 2nd half shows Twain and his daughters, Clara and Jean. it's short, but cool.

http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/smar...e-to-prove-it/