GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Chapter Operations
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chapter Operations Share plans, ideas, and brainstorm problems related to chapter operations. Topics also include parliamentary procedure, national programs, innovations & etc.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,155
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, luvdovemrh
» Online Users: 1,277
1 members and 1,276 guests
Cookiez17

Old 06-10-2011, 08:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Spirit Booster

Hello Everyone! I am Spirit Booster for my sorority. What we normally do is just give a bear to the person who stuck out this week in the sorority. I want to do more! Passing the bear is just getting old to me and I don't think it's lifting everyone's spirits. If you have any ideas for what I can do to improve my chair PLEASE POST! Any input will help! Thank you to all who respond!
Old 06-10-2011, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator

as spirit chair, you could read what was written for the winning sister's nomination(if you don't already do this).

the chapter i advise has passed a bra(never worn, of course!) to the sister that gave the most "support"-to her sisters, a friend in need, helping with a project, going beyond her duties as an officer, helping someone study, etc.- for that week. She keeps it for a week and brings it back to return to the chairperson at the next chapter. It helps that our philanthropy is breast cancer related.

You could also find a heart shaped box that you could fill with hershey's kisses, cookies, whatever, that you could pass to the winner. again, she returns it to use another time.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:22 AM

It often lifts spirits if you have both sister of the week and goof of the week - i.e. Jen ran across campus to get to her final and then walked into the wrong classroom and started taking the wrong test. Nothing but "you go girl!" positivity is boring.

We also didn't have pass around things, everyone who got either sister or boobie of the week got a paper paddle with their name and the date for their scrapbook. You could use paper cutouts of your mascot also. I think everyone liked that better than something they couldn't keep and had to remember to haul to the next meeting.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:44 PM
GreekChat Member

I love the bra idea! I am definitely going to do that! The bear just isn't doing it for my sorority anymore..even though a trisigma invented care bears. I am also thinking of finding a poem that kind of goes with what will be going on that week or finding something funny for everyone to think about that week.

I was thinking about making things throughout the week for people. I feel like my sorority doesn't give a lot of credit to people when they contribute. We also can't do the paper paddle thing because it is against the rules that nationals has laid out for us.

If you ladies come up with anything else I'd love to hear it!
Old 06-10-2011, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittanyhorwath View Post
We also can't do the paper paddle thing because it is against the rules that nationals has laid out for us.

If you ladies come up with anything else I'd love to hear it!
You could use a paper sailboat or something, or a paper care bear. It doesn't have to be a paddle. I stated that.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:39 PM
GreekChat Member

You're right! Thank you ladies for the help! Now I can get started early on things so I'm not scrambling every week!
Old 06-20-2011, 05:14 PM
Kaorin_Kanoe

Aw, I love bears! When my sisters do sister of the week we write down who we choose on a colorful square and write down why. The person who has the most gets them pasted on a larger and prettier scrapbooking square with all those positive comments on them. You also get a small gift.
Old 09-04-2011, 06:19 PM
GreekChat Member

I am my sorority's sunshine chair which sounds very similar to spirit chair!
Here are some of the things I do!
We have a sister of the month and girls in the house email me nominations
I also recognize all birthdays and give a little gift like a pencil and a birthday card to her
I also draw a girl's name at each chapter meeting and the girl gets to pick out a prize! The prizes are small and from the dollar section of Target but still it makes girls excited to come to chapter !
Good Luck!!
Old 09-04-2011, 06:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DGTess
My alumnae group gives out a pack of lifesavers to a sister who has been a "lifesaver" that month.

They've also done "A Coke and a Smile" for sisters who are nominated.

Both are tiny things, but can mean a lot.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Our chapter does a "praise box" where a box is passed around at the beginning of meeting and girls submit little notes of praise for another girl in the house. It's really fun because these notes can be anonymous (or not) notes of encouragement, sympathy, hilarious inside jokes, thinking-of-yous, etc. and it's always something we look forward to at the end of meeting when girls pick out notes and read them aloud.