Members: 326,172
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,399
5 members and 1,394 guests
chi-o_cat, indygphib, willTic

Old 06-28-2011, 12:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Every position I applied for in the past year only accepted online applications/resumes and you were required to put that information in. I would include the information in a cover letter or, if you have an objective, in the objective. (I know a lot of people are eliminating objectives these days).

I had my best responses when I selected specific companies that I wanted to work for and watched their individual web sites for postings that suited me. There were 4 or 5 companies that I really wanted to get into so I focused on those and checked them weekly, applying for anything that I thought I was qualified for which also sounded interesting. That's what worked for me.

Considering I originally interviewed in March and didn't start until June, I wouldn't worry about when you're available. Human Resources departments are notoriously slow. NOW would be the time to be looking for something to start in September.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
Every position I applied for in the past year only accepted online applications/resumes and you were required to put that information in. I would include the information in a cover letter or, if you have an objective, in the objective. (I know a lot of people are eliminating objectives these days).
All of the jobs I've applied for recently have all been online as well. You have to create a profile, log in, and "create" a resume. I was able to import my resume on one or two of the sites but I had to do a lot of cut and pasting on the others. I wasn't able to upload or create any cover letters either.

And I also haven't used an objective in my resume in quite some time.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
Not necessarily, I know several people who've been hired after multiple interviews via Skype. My sister among them. Yes, your paperwork will have your address on it, but not putting it on the resume ignores that companies do send paperwork all the time. And what are you going to do, avoid a return address and hide the postmark?
The point is not to hide your current address, it's to give the relevant information on the resume. The relevant information, at the time you are trying to secure an interview, is that you will be living in X city as of Y date.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
The point is not to hide your current address, it's to give the relevant information on the resume. The relevant information, at the time you are trying to secure an interview, is that you will be living in X city as of Y date.
Sorry, I fall squarely on 'provide all relevant contact information' even if it's 'just in case their HR dept head can't figure out his ass from an email and refuses to send out info packets that way.' I would far rather a potential employer have all my contact info, because I never know for sure how they'll respond. Rent a PO Box in the expected city and forward mail on or something if it's that concerning - and you're that certain of a destination - but don't hide it - both the intention (so one doesn't get discounted) and the result (so you're harder to contact.)

I mean sure if you're really really wanted they'll put the extra effort in, but if you're borderline... well that sounds familiar, right?
Old 06-28-2011, 04:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
I mean sure if you're really really wanted they'll put the extra effort in, but if you're borderline... well that sounds familiar, right?
I'm really really wanted.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
Quote:
Rereading her post, I know more about her situation than posted and she likely would be moving by a certain date to a specific location based on the way I understood things. If that's wrong then disregard.

Not just entry level.
You are correct, it would be a specific city by hopefully a certain date.

Thanks for the tips everyone!
Old 06-28-2011, 10:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovespink88 View Post
There's a chance I may be relocating and I am curious to know how one would go about applying for jobs in another city,

I've been poking around to see what's out there in this new city, but haven't found anything that's OMG MUST APPLY. But I just had a few concerns about what to do when I do find something I like.

When should I seriously start looking/applying to jobs? If I see a really awesome job but I'm still not sure if I'm moving, do I bother applying? Do you address that you will be moving in your cover letter? I figured you could since they will see that you are not from the area on your resume...but maybe I'm wrong.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!
I apply for jobs out of town. The applications are all on line. I use my current address on all my stuff. My belief is that I can go where ever I want, I have no family or any thing to keep me where I am. Good luck!
Old 06-29-2011, 12:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Considering many people move BECAUSE they get a great new job somewhere else, why not start looking now?
Old 06-29-2011, 05:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splash View Post
Considering many people move BECAUSE they get a great new job somewhere else, why not start looking now?
Unfortunately, that is not my situation. I am currently living in one of the top 3 cities for my industry. The specific city I would be moving to isn't very active in my industry...I mean, I know there's a few things here and there, but not to the magnitude of what it's like here.

The reason there is a specific city is because my fiance found a few prospects for his job there (he's been looking nationwide for over a year with no luck). And things just got interesting because he just got an offer.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: somewhere in an area where we usually get all four seasons :)
Send a message via AIM to sceniczip
I put my current address down and was applying out of state. In interviews I typically got asked about relocating and answered honestly that I was interested in the area. No one ever held it against me. Of course, this is education so start dates aren't until August.