GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Chapter Operations
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chapter Operations Share plans, ideas, and brainstorm problems related to chapter operations. Topics also include parliamentary procedure, national programs, innovations & etc.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,145
Threads: 115,589
Welcome to our newest member, lopezsae
» Online Users: 1,544
1 members and 1,543 guests
PGD-GRAD

Old 05-27-2011, 01:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Steps to re-colonizing

.My bad guys. Let me try this again.... I think I probably gave too many details in my op that weren't necessary and I didn't really get my question answered .... I mean, I really agree with the responses. I know its stupid to talk about recolonizing before even rushing... I know premature is an understatement. I'll most likely join an existing chapter anyway, but I'm just curious about the process. Is that okay?
I really just want to know:

Does anyone on here have experience re-recolonizing? Was it initiated by you? How did you and your brothers make it happen? I know its a huge task that requires lots time and hard work, but what advice would you give someone looking to recolonizing?

Last edited by Texastv3; 05-27-2011 at 11:23 AM. Reason: i sounded like a douche
Old 05-27-2011, 04:38 AM

Before you go any further, contact SAE and ask if they have any interest whatsoever in returning to your school. Sometimes groups leave and really don't ever want to come back.

That being said, I want to caution you about the foolhardiness of trying to operate a Big 12/SEC type chapter at a school that is definitely NOT that. If you think SAE has more to offer through their national programs etc, and has things in that arena that the other groups can't give you, that's fine, but DON'T think that a new chapter is going to automatically bring a radically new (and in your eyes, better) group of men into the Greek system. When it comes down to it, the students and the school are what they are and putting Greek letters on them just isn't going to transform them overnight.

By "familiarize" I don't know if you mean you met or corresponded with guys from those chapters or what, but again, they are not at your school. They are at their school.
Old 05-27-2011, 07:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texastv3 View Post
So i've been viewing threads for a while now, but finally made an account so I could ask this question... I know someone's probably already given a great answer somewhere, but I just can't find it. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Anyways,

I will be rushing at a school this fall that has, in my opinion, a sub par Greek system... I had a couple full ride scholarships to SEC and BIG 12 schools with great systems, but opted to stay local for academic and career reasons.

Simply put, of the 15-20 IFC chapters, only Sigma Chi is what many consider a real fraternity... I know that many of you will probably say I'm naive to form this conclusion before even rushing, but I do know a few guys in each of the top houses on campus and have gotten some exposure to the system already. I'm still open to explore the different chapters, but I'm also considering something else......

I would be interested in re-colonizing the school's Sigma Alpha Epsilon chapter that was put on probation about 10 years ago and never came back. I know this would be a colossal task that would take lots of time and hard work from many people to accomplish, but if both the University and SAE were interested and supportive, i would be absolutely thrilled to give it my best try. Through my college search, I was able to familiarize myself with 2 SAE chapters in my state and was very impressed with them. I would love to help restore the chapters tarnished legacy and get the experience of being a founder.

Is this something that I along with a group of friends could initiate by expressing interest to IFC and SAE or is it much more complicated? If it is possible to accomplish, who should i contact first?
QFP

And, regarding the highlighted portion- no, it doesn't make you sound naive, it just kind of makes you sound like a douche.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks 33girl, that's really good advice.

And KD I know it does and i'm sorry. I just didn't know how else to say it. I mean, I would never treat members of other GLOs as if I were better than them... that's just not who I am. However, I like to be the best and if I couldn't find an organization that offered me everything that I wanted, I would really consider investigating the possibility of helping to restore a fallen chapter and do my part in rebuilding it into a chapter that would better fit others like myself in the future.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Thanks 33girl, that's really good advice.

And KD I know it does and i'm sorry. I just didn't know how else to say it. I mean, I would never treat members of other GLOs as if I were better than them... that's just not who I am. However, I like to be the best and if I couldn't find an organization that offered me everything that I wanted, I would really consider investigating the possibility of helping to restore a fallen chapter and do my part in rebuilding it into a chapter that would better fit others like myself in the future.
Why not help a different fraternity along instead of trying to start something new? It seems that it would be a difficult thing to start up a new chapter and get it to where you want it to be by the time you've graduated. If you really put forth the effort, you can help a fraternity that is already on campus be even better and you will have much more time in which to enjoy being a part of the organization, rather than dealing with the bureaucratic steps of just trying to get a new one on campus.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:25 AM
GreekChat Member

This thread is just

What I read: "Despite not even attending the school yet or meeting all the chapters, I'm too good for for all the groups except for Sigma Chi. So I want to recolonize a chapter of SAE because the other groups are beneath me."

Easy there champ, you don't even know if any group on campus would even bid you yet.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Lucgreek To an extent that is how I feel, and I know that's the way it sounds If you read between the lines. But I would never treat others like they were beneath me & honestly I'm just curious about the process. I know its weird to think of re colonization before rushing (please read my edited post at the top.) Just curious.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Your question was answered at the very beginning:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Before you go any further, contact SAE and ask if they have any interest whatsoever in returning to your school. Sometimes groups leave and really don't ever want to come back.
SAE and the school need to be open to the idea. It's not going to happen just because you think the other fraternities are lacking.

And regarding that part of your original post -- what constitutes "real" in terms of Greek life?

Last edited by knight_shadow; 05-27-2011 at 02:12 PM. Reason: removed "don't"
Old 05-27-2011, 02:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Lucgreek To an extent that is how I feel, and I know that's the way it sounds If you read between the lines. But I would never treat others like they were beneath me & honestly I'm just curious about the process. I know its weird to think of re colonization before rushing (please read my edited post at the top.) Just curious.
So you think you're better than a bunch of people and organizations you've never met before or had any interactions with. But it's all good because you would never treat them like crap, you just think they are crap. Cool.

So why would you bringing a different the fraternity be any different than the current groups you look down on? Because everyone who joins can bask in your greatness? I mean, come on...

Kid, you're only (probably) 18. What have you done that makes you think you're better than those other groups? You're not even in greek life yet.

As for recolonization: It varies by how the national organization wants to do it. Sometimes a national organization sees an opportunity and will start recruiting guys. Other times an interest group forms on campus and tries to court a specific national organization. These interest groups are formed once people have, you know, actually set foot on campus.

And just a tip, going to a national group and saying "The rest of these fraternities are scrubs and I've met two of your members and they are awesome" isn't exactly a great way to sell yourself to them.

This also all depends on if your school wants to add another fraternity, whether the national fraternity wants to go to your campus, whether your campus can support another fraternity, whether you can find enough guys for an interest group, etc...