GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,145
Threads: 115,589
Welcome to our newest member, lopezsae
» Online Users: 1,305
0 members and 1,305 guests
No Members online

Old 03-26-2011, 09:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Preparing for Formal Recruitment?

Hi everyone,
This is my first year as recruitment director, and I'm somewhat at a loss of how to go about preparing for formal recruitment (I know, I'm planning way early). My chapter is rather small and made up mostly of new actives (including myself) who have not participated in formal recruitment as sorority sisters. I love my sisters, but I'm worried about how they'll do while dealing with PNM's during recruitment. When I visited the chapter while going through formal recruitment last year, my first impression was that I was less than impressed with the operation, the conversations, and the overall vibe I got. I don't want that to happen again this year.
What can I do to help prepare us for a successful recruitment? Should I hold "training" sessions before formal? And if so, how should I go about working on these problems my sisters? I know this is a lot, but I'm at a loss right now and really need some help.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:59 PM
GreekChat Member

1. DEFINITELY hold training sessions. We had one a month. If you have fall recruitment, you're actually planning a little late.

2. Other people on here are going to recommend the book "I heart recruitment." I've never read it, so can't speak personally, but it gets a lot of good rep on this site.

3. For any sisters who went through formal recruitment, have them talk about how they felt about your chapter's recruitment, and how they felt about other chapters' as well. This will be a good way to find out what PNMs like/dislike in formal recruitment (this can be an anonymous survey if you're worried about hurting actives' feelings, but know that a lot of people will express more verbally than they will writing on a survey).

These are just some starting ideas, I'm sure some of the other women on here will ahve more.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: The interwebs. I understand it's a "series of tubes."
2 words:
Contact [Inter]Nationals.
They will likely have updated manuals, contact alumnae, and leadership consultants ready to send out to you.
Then go from there.

TEII
Old 03-27-2011, 10:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Did your chapter sign up for recruitment boot camp that will be held at during the regional leadership workshops this summer? If so, that will be a great tool in helping you get ready. If not, I would definitely recommend asking nationals to send an EC your way to help prepare.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchaptergphib View Post
2 words:
They will likely have updated manuals, contact alumnae, and leadership consultants ready to send out to you.
Then go from there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchaptergphib View Post
2 words:
Then go from there.
Advice so nice, I quoted it twice.

This is what your HQ is there for. It is their responsibility to help you with things like this if they want you all to continue to bring members into the organization. If anything, exaggerate the problem and make it seem worse than it is. You should not be expected to know what to do anymore than a 6 year old should know how to drive a car. Emphasize that you need hands on training, not just manuals and emails. The ideal thing would be if you could practice with a nearby chapter who's more seasoned at rush.