» Online Users: 1,285
3 members and 1,282 guests
shadokat

Old 03-01-2011, 09:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveMaroon View Post
What I think is amazing about Greek Ritual in general is the relatively young age of the authors.

These were college-aged men and women who put together "the total package", while they were full-time students.

And without the modern conveniences of the interwebs, cell phones or even in a lot of cases, just plain telephones.

And, from my point of view, as a member of Sigma Kappa, I take pride in knowing that the women who founded my organization were the only women at Colby College at the time. That took guts back in 1874, and I respect that as much as any of the Double Secret Tickle Fight Ceremonies.

I've said too much...
That is one of the reasons why I have always been amazed by ritual because of the exact things you mentioned. I cannot imagine being 19 years old and crafting such intricate language and ideas. They were truly special young women, just as the other founders of the other NPC chapters.

And by the way, have I been sleeping through the sequined leg warmers part?? I can't believe I never got mine?!?

Last edited by IndianaSigKap; 03-01-2011 at 09:11 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-01-2011, 10:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
My other response would be that I have not encountered anyone in my organization who has expressed concerns like the ones you have. As Dr Phil (whose violins I choose to ignore ) said, this seems to be another instance of "speak for your own ritual."
I don't know your org or your ritual, obviously, but I'd also challenge many to think about who may not be joining their org because of such concerns. GLO's are still largely segregated, by race/ethnicity and by religion. Maybe the days of WASP clauses are over (and remember, that wasn't so long ago), but who are we unintentionally excluding?
Old 03-01-2011, 10:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaSigKap View Post
That is one of the reasons why I have always been amazed by ritual because of the exact things you mentioned. I cannot imagine being 19 years old and crafting such intricate language and ideas. They were truly special young women, just as the other founders of the other NPC chapters.

And by the way, have I been sleeping through the sequined leg warmers part?? I can't believe I never got mine?!?
You didn't get yours? Call HQ, they'll send it along!

I don't want to give the impression I don't love our ritual, because I do. I just acknowledge that some people could feel excluded by it.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
GLO's are still largely segregated, by race/ethnicity and by religion. Maybe the days of WASP clauses are over (and remember, that wasn't so long ago), but who are we unintentionally excluding?
Again, careful with the generalizations, please. Your description may fit some GLOs, perhaps largely the ones with which you are more familiar, but certainly not all.

Last edited by MysticCat; 03-02-2011 at 09:29 AM.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:52 PM
Super Moderator

This Alpha Delta Pi is amazed by our ritual, and especially the ages of the women who wrote it - one was all of 13 years old! For a ritual to remain constant (with the substitution of Alpha Delta Pi instead of Adelphean) for 160 years says more for its magnitude than for the nay-sayers.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:53 PM
Super Moderator

Oh, and Happy First Day of National Ritual Celebration Week to all!
Old 03-01-2011, 11:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post

I don't want to give the impression I don't love our ritual, because I do. I just acknowledge that some people could feel excluded by it.
Knowing what you and I both know, I agree with you.

But as a person with no religious affiliation, I never felt at odds with what our (Christian) founders intended, either in word or spirit. I may have internalized or reflected on it differently than the girls who went to Church every Sunday, and that's OK.

PS - I got my leg warmers yesterday and will be wearing them along with my badge next week. They're extra-sparkly!

Old 03-01-2011, 11:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveMaroon View Post
Knowing what you and I both know, I agree with you.

But as a person with no religious affiliation, I never felt at odds with what our (Christian) founders intended, either in word or spirit. I may have internalized or reflected on it differently than the girls who went to Church every Sunday, and that's OK.

PS - I got my leg warmers yesterday and will be wearing them along with my badge next week. They're extra-sparkly!
All this does, to me, is emphasize how this discussion does NOT work unless each person knows what the other is talking about

Thank goodness you got your leg warmers. Don't forget to start stretching for the compulsory splits.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
All this does, to me, is emphasize how this discussion does NOT work unless each person knows what the other is talking about

Which may be why Honeychile opened in the Alpha Delta Pi forum not in Greek Life.

Honeychile, Thank you for the kind wishes.

Quote:
This Alpha Delta Pi is amazed by our ritual, and especially the ages of the women who wrote it - one was all of 13 years old! For a ritual to remain constant (with the substitution of Alpha Delta Pi instead of Adelphean) for 160 years says more for its magnitude than for the nay-sayers.
Even after 30 years, when I pause to think about their young age and sheltered lives, I too am amazed. Which I suppose is the purpose of Ritual Week, to cause us to do just that.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by madoug View Post
Which may be why Honeychile opened in the Alpha Delta Pi forum not in Greek Life.
Your second attempt at whatever has also failed. Honeychile's first post mentions Phi Mu so "Celebration of Ritual" is not only an ADPi topic.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:53 PM
Super Moderator

Phi Mu started it; the rest who are celebrating jumped on their bandwagon.

As you know, being founded less than a year apart at the same school, we have a close bond with Phi Mu. Nobody's being forced to reflect on their ritual, or for that matter, reflect in a positive way. The idea is to reflect on your ritual to see how it best defines you.

Pardon my manners - thank you, madoug!

ADPis, for Day Two, the question is Alpha Delta Pi:
"I believe in Alpha Delta Pi, I believe in my sorority." Day two of National Ritual Celebartion Week. What are you and your chapter doing to celebrate? Tell us what you will do to to live your Ritual today? (Again, discretion, please!)

Last edited by honeychile; 03-02-2011 at 09:59 PM.