GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,153
Threads: 115,579
Welcome to our newest member, samthaswimmer
» Online Users: 1,568
0 members and 1,568 guests
No Members online

Old 07-01-2010, 07:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Rec quality v. quantity

This isn't specific to me (or anyone) but just as a general question, is quality of recs more important than quantity? For example, if I had one rec for sorority ABC from a cousin or close friend who knows me inside and out, and could write lots of specific, positive things about me, would that be better than lots of generic recs from the local Panhellenic? Obviously the ideal situation would be lots of specific recs from people who know you very well, but if you had to choose between the two?

(Sorry if this has been discussed before.)
Old 07-01-2010, 10:45 PM
Banned

This would depend on the individual chapter and the campus.
Old 07-02-2010, 07:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Why would you have to chose?

If you know women who can write you individual recs, certainly encourage them to do so. The advantage to the personal recs is they can give the chapter more concrete, insightful information.

You should of course sign up with your local alumnae panhellenic, which might result in more recs - but often the local alumnae chapters of the sororities coordinate their rec writing, so it is doubtful you'll end up with 20 XYZ recs, even if you have a relative or friend write one or two. Also, recs go missing, or in the case of the rec written by cousin for me, sent to the wrong school ().
Old 07-02-2010, 10:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Yes, I think so. It is much more meaningful to have a rec from someone who personally knows you then one that says I don't know this women personally, but she seems like she would be a good member? It is just not the same. I do, understand, that it can be difficult to get recommendations from some sororities. I have been doing volunteer work for years and there are some Chapters that I don't know any one who is a member.
Old 07-02-2010, 03:59 PM
GreekChat Member

SWTXBelle: For me personally I am trying to go both routes (some personal and fill in the gaps with ones from my local Panhellenic), so it doesn't really apply to me, I was just curious.
Old 07-02-2010, 04:15 PM
Super Moderator

if it is a choice between a recommendation written by someone who knows you vs. one by someone who doesn't, go with the one who knows you. if it is a question of having someone write you a rec. who doesn't know you versus not having a rec. to that chapter, go with the rec.