Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,524
3 members and 1,521 guests
Cookiez17, Happy Alum, John

Old 11-24-2001, 01:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Philanthropy

Hey ladies!
I was elected the new philanthropy chair for my chapter and would like to know of any ideas that you all have. We don't do many things I would like to see us do more in the spring than we have done in a while. Please send me any ideas you come up with or that you have done. Also if you have any philanthropy projects for recruitment that would be awesome. I also read of a fraternity that requires there members to do a certain amount of volunteer hours a semester, have any of you tried this and if so how did you organize it and keep track of it. thanks for your time.
Tau love,
Nicole
Old 02-11-2002, 01:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to amisAST
Thumbs up Philanthropy

Nicole,
About your philanthropy questions...I don't know anything about being in the chair position, but we do a few things in our chapter. One thing that we do is we go to a child care place called Liz's House. We more or less babysit for about an hour. We also have things that we do with some of the fraternities on campus. On our campus we have a huge blue sculpture that we call the Blue Link. One thing that we did with the Alpha Sigma Phi fraternity is we had to have one person at least chained to the link some how and students would pass by and give us donations.

We have to have at 6 philanthropy hours with at least 3 of those hours being within the sorority. Check with your chapter to see what things they allow as a philanthropy outside of the sorority. We can go to nursing homes, babysit, etc. Anything that can pretty much help out someone else.

If you have any questions though definitely contact someone in your chapter, but if you want to know more about what we do in our chapter for this, then feel free to contact me. Hope this helps Nicole!

Have a great day!
Amy
Old 02-26-2002, 12:49 PM

Send a message via AIM to ASTDM39 Send a message via Yahoo to ASTDM39
Talking philanthropy

I dont know anything about being in charge of philanthropy, however I had this idea so maybe you will like it. I thought that maybe for Easter you could make cards or little easter baskets ( you can probably make cute ones for not much money if you go to like the dollar tree or something) or even just get a little stuffed animal of some kind and take it to a childrens hospital and hand them out. Maybe if you asked Wal-Mart and told them what you were doing they would help and donate some things. I dont know if this would work but it was just an idea I had.
Old 03-06-2002, 12:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nyubrowny Send a message via Yahoo to nyubrowny
philanthropy

I was actually also just elected as my colony's (Delta Phi @ NYU, go us!!!) Philanthropy Chair. We were a local sorority for 23 years. In recent years we implimented a annual charity event for the American Cancer Society. We host a barbeque for all the students on campus. We get lots of co-sponsers from the other Greeks on campus, as well as some university organizations. It's a lot of fun, we get to use an actual bbq and have carnival type games and stuff. Last year we even had a cotton candy maker! It was great! I am actually the person who invented it on my campus, so if you have questions, please ask!

The whole Greek communty also hosts a Special Olympics basketball tournament, and participates in a NYC-wide event called New York Cares Day.

I have some other ideas too if you want...
Old 05-03-2002, 12:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Heya,
At Delta Nu, Beloit College, WI, we did something fun for philantrhopy and rush. We decorated flower pots and are donating them to a local homeless shelter. We called it a "Pot Party" it was pretty fun. You can get some cheap clay pots at Walmart or someplace, use acrylic paints, they work well! Anyhow they turned out really cute. Some where else to look for ideas is www.residentassistant.com it is for RA's but they have some activities that work well for Rush. Good Luck!
Lil E
Delta Nu
Beloit College