Threads: 115,578
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,276
0 members and 1,276 guests
No Members online

Old 07-01-2009, 04:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jitterbug13 Send a message via Yahoo to jitterbug13
I live in SC. I wish Sanford would STFU, resign and move to Argentina.

And he didn't have a chance to be president before this. People are still P.O. at him over the stimius (sp) fight. He probably wouldn't have won the primary here.

And Munchkin, I thought of Jimmy Swaggart too when he did that confession last week.

Jenny (his wife) deserves better.

"I'd rather be hated for what I am than loved for what I'm not."--Kanye West

"Black is the new President."--Tracey Morgan
Old 07-02-2009, 03:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppyGPhiB View Post
Don't most protestant denominations preach confession through prayer to God?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
Yes. I think it is something that the Anglicans got away from originally -- it started making a comeback with the Oxford/Anglo-Catholic Movement in the 19th Century.

So far as I know, Luther was the only one of the Reformers who advocated retaining personal confession to a member of the clergy, though I don't know that it has ever been widely practiced among Lutherans.

And shoot, these days even the Presbyterian Book of Common Worship has an order for what is essentially private confession, though I've never heard of anyone using it.
The way I was brought up and still practice/believe (though ELCA Lutherans aren't a monolith) is I don't have to confess because God already knows. I can talk to my pastor about my problems, but it isn't a confession that is done in the Catholic sense.

I realized the less a person pointed fingers at others and went on and on about morality and passing judgment, the less I care about their personal life and infidelity. I still make Larry Craig jokes and use him as an example since he was so self righteous and went after Clinton. What's that theory, they are so vehement about others because they are trying to deflect attention from what they are doing?
Old 07-02-2009, 03:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalSquirrel View Post
The way I was brought up and still practice/believe (though ELCA Lutherans aren't a monolith) is I don't have to confess because God already knows. I can talk to my pastor about my problems, but it isn't a confession that is done in the Catholic sense.
I don't doubt that at all -- it's consistent with the practices of all Lutherans I've known.

That said, Luther's Small Catechism describes confession in the same section as Baptism and Communion and provides a sample of how to make a personal confession, and Evangelical Lutheran Worship includes an order for Individual Confession and Absolution. I have read that the practice is a somewhat ethnic/national origin thing -- that Lutherans from some countries tended not to practice confession while those from other countries (Scandinavia, maybe?) tended to hold on to it. But take what I say with a grain of salt, given the whole I'm-not-Lutheran-myself aspect of it.

[/detour]
Old 07-02-2009, 05:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
I don't doubt that at all -- it's consistent with the practices of all Lutherans I've known.

That said, Luther's Small Catechism describes confession in the same section as Baptism and Communion and provides a sample of how to make a personal confession, and Evangelical Lutheran Worship includes an order for Individual Confession and Absolution. I have read that the practice is a somewhat ethnic/national origin thing -- that Lutherans from some countries tended not to practice confession while those from other countries (Scandinavia, maybe?) tended to hold on to it. But take what I say with a grain of salt, given the whole I'm-not-Lutheran-myself aspect of it.

[/detour]
We've had a lot of changes lately with worship styles, and last summer I was a Presbyterian half the time (the church was ELCA Lutheran one week, Presbyterian the next since it was in a rural Alaska Community) so I will admit I am still confused as to what we're doing at times

My general feeling/idea with confession is that we don't do it since Luther really wanted a break with all the (and I am not being flippant, this term works for me) "middle man" aspects that came up with the priests and the people in Catholicism of his time. We have similarities, but the areas we don't are due to making God more accessible and cutting out a lot of the extra stuff that got in the way of having a direct relationship with God. I grew up in Scandinavian founded Lutheran churches, but the ELCA came about when I was a child so the traditions were less in worship and more in architecture and the people.

So back to Sanford, I feel sorry for his wife and kids, I always feel bad for the spouses in public issues like this. I'll speak on Larry Craig since that's my state, I am sure his wife knew, hell maybe they had an arrangement, but that doesn't make up for all the choices he made and things he did while elected. I am all for privacy of two consenting adults and their own arrangements, but when the voting record and rhetoric don't allow that for others, it irritates me. Craig left office, we got rid of woman hating Bill Sali, and now we have Minnick who doesn't believe in evolution, so it is kind of a revolving door of "who has the least amount of BS I can live with" at the polls.
Old 07-02-2009, 05:47 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm from SC, too, and can't stand Sanford. I really didn't like the way he was grandstanding with the stimulus money. I have friends who are educators in the state who are worried about keeping their jobs. My MIL has to take furlough days because she works for the county. And he's playing politics.

His actions with the whole Argentina thing really bewilder me. I think it must be some kind of midlife crisis thing. And I believe he wanted to get caught. Having to 'fess up is very cathartic and freeing... it just makes everyone else have to deal with your s#&^%, which is pretty selfish. I do feel sorry for Jenny and the boys (how can you not take personally your dad not being around on Father's Day??). I also feel sorry for his staff. I went to school with his communications director and I can't imagine all the crap he's had to field because of Sanford's actions.

Old 07-04-2009, 04:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jitterbug13 Send a message via Yahoo to jitterbug13
^^^^
Did you go to Carolina too? I went to school with his spokesman.

I work at one of the colleges in the state (and attend another one for graduate school). I had to take 4 days off and risk the chance of my tuition being sky high because of Sanford's actions. I'm glad the state Supreme Court made him take that money. And my mom was also furloughed because she's a prinicpal at a public school district.

Palin resigns, but Sanford's still governor. I find no justice in that. I won't be shocked if another mistress comes out (and I hope she does).

"I'd rather be hated for what I am than loved for what I'm not."--Kanye West

"Black is the new President."--Tracey Morgan
Old 07-17-2009, 06:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaemonSeid View Post
I think one of my questions is getting answered....whose money he spent to go and this looks like this was for last year's trip:

COLUMBIA, S.C. — One day after admitting an affair, South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford reunited with his wife and sons and announced he will reimburse the state for a trip he took last year in which he met his Argentinean mistress.

Sanford said he "made a mistake" in seeing the woman last June during a trade mission to Brazil and Argentina. State records indicate he spent more than $8,000 in airfare, lodging and meals. The governor's spokesman, Joel Sawyer, said Thursday that Sanford will pay back the money spent in Argentina. Sawyer had said earlier that no state resources were used.

Republican state Sen. Jake Knotts called for an investigation. "That's like a bank robber getting caught and wanting to return the money," Knotts said. "He should strongly consider resigning."

Sanford resigned Wednesday as chairman of the Republican Governors Association but said he'd "let the chips fall where they may" otherwise. He spent Thursday at his family's beach house near Charleston after spending Father's Day weekend in Buenos Aires.

Knotts said the use of taxpayer money was too much to accept from a onetime presidential contender who made his name as a staunch fiscal conservative.

link
Now my question is answered...

Aside from the damage done to his standing as a social conservative, South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford’s recent admission of an extramarital affair may end up tarnishing another of his political credentials — his carefully honed reputation as a tightfisted steward of taxpayer money.

A POLITICO analysis of hundreds of pages of state travel records requested to explore the circumstances of his affair found that in his 6 1/2 years as governor, Sanford traveled frequently and in a style markedly at odds with his political persona.

The records detail more than $468,000 worth of state-funded travel for Sanford and show that he routinely billed taxpayers for high-end airline seats, racking up more than $44,000 on business- and first-class tickets. He often stayed in pricey hotels that far exceeded the rates he imposed on other state employees.

Link
Law and Order: Gotham - “In the Criminal Justice System of Gotham City the people are represented by three separate, yet equally important groups. The police who investigate crime, the District Attorneys who prosecute the offenders, and the Batman. These are their stories.”