Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,307
0 members and 1,307 guests
No Members online

Old 06-28-2009, 01:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthus View Post
We're going to be spreading ourselves way too thin if we get into a war with North Korea. If we do go to war with them, a draft would follow.
I have a feeling a war with North Korea would most likely be the following: bomb, bomb, bomb, bomb, bomb, bomb, bomb, bomb, bomb, bomb, bomb.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Evidently, North Korea test-fired 4 short-range missiles. At what point does this become a true cause for concern for our homeland's safety? Are they just flexing their muscles, or what? (I wish I weren't so ignorant about this. I've never been politically/militarily savvy.)
Old 07-02-2009, 11:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SydneyK View Post
Evidently, North Korea test-fired 4 short-range missiles. At what point does this become a true cause for concern for our homeland's safety? Are they just flexing their muscles, or what? (I wish I weren't so ignorant about this. I've never been politically/militarily savvy.)
I think it's a concern, to some level, right now - but I also think national leaders don't want to start some sort of "OMG WE'RE GOING TO GET BOMBED!" panic by the general population.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSigkid View Post
I think it's a concern, to some level, right now - but I also think national leaders don't want to start some sort of "OMG WE'RE GOING TO GET BOMBED!" panic by the general population.
I can see that. Still, if we're going to get bombed, I'd rather hear about it from our nation's leaders than from Matt Lauer, after the fact, on the Today show.
Old 07-02-2009, 12:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
One thing alot of people don't realize is that is very hard to construct a intercontinental ballistic missile. The only two countries that have ever managed it were the USA and the USSR. That being said I'm really worried about our troops in South Korea and Japan. Those are the two largest bases outside of the united states and iraq.
Old 07-02-2009, 01:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I can see that. Still, if we're going to get bombed, I'd rather hear about it from our nation's leaders than from Matt Lauer, after the fact, on the Today show.
Agreed, and not just because Matt Lauer annoys the heck out of me.

I think it's a difficult position for the government, and a difficult line to walk. They don't want to incite some sort of panic around the country, or have people ignoring heightened safety measures (the way people do when the terror level colors changes) but at the same time they don't want to keep things lax.

I'm certainly no expert in national security, but I'd assume we would notice some significant changes to public safety if there were an imminent threat of attack. We may not see all the changes (what with behind-the-scenes national security actions and confidential measures), but I think we'd see some differences.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by starang21 View Post
i thought a truce was called like 3 years later
Only an armistice... technically a state of war still exists between NoKo and SoKo.

Chonger must have a massive death wish or a severe case of 'Lackanukie' disease... he can vaporize Seoul and other major cities at the expense of rendering everything south of the Yalu river and north of the 38th parallel uninhabitable for the next million years. Well, maybe they'll build a Wal-Mart in what used to be Pyongyang!

Alpha Alpha (University of Oklahoma) Chapter, #814, 1984
Old 07-06-2009, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaSigOU View Post
Only an armistice... technically a state of war still exists between NoKo and SoKo.

Chonger must have a massive death wish or a severe case of 'Lackanukie' disease... he can vaporize Seoul and other major cities at the expense of rendering everything south of the Yalu river and north of the 38th parallel uninhabitable for the next million years. Well, maybe they'll build a Wal-Mart in what used to be Pyongyang!
And with the ensuing nuclear ice age, we'd have an instant cure for global warming.

Sounds like a win-win.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 07-06-2009, 10:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi U MC Vito View Post
One thing alot of people don't realize is that is very hard to construct a intercontinental ballistic missile. The only two countries that have ever managed it were the USA and the USSR. That being said I'm really worried about our troops in South Korea and Japan. Those are the two largest bases outside of the united states and iraq.
Don't forget the Chinese... the Froggies and Brits also have sub-launched nuke missiles as well.

The unfortunate thing is that until we counter with a massive buildup of troops (and we can't right now, especially with our commitments to Iraq and Afghanistan) to tell Da Chonger to take a flying f*** with a rolling doughnut I'm afraid our troops in Korea are relegated to 'speedbump' status. And the Japanese will really exercise their 'self-defense force' status if attacked.

Sounds like Da Chonger is suffering from cocaine-induced delusions of grandeur like Tony Montana...

Old 07-06-2009, 10:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
And with the ensuing nuclear ice age, we'd have an instant cure for global warming.

Sounds like a win-win.
Exactimundo... MAD (Mutually Assured Destruction) just doesn't work.

Old 07-06-2009, 01:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Exactimundo... MAD (Mutually Assured Destruction) just doesn't work.
Well, it can work if the parties involved are basically sane.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGAalum94 View Post
Well, it can work if the parties involved are basically sane.
which ones are you talking about? if not they are nuts/insane/wacko/dodo's/ or anything you wish to call them. it will take many countrys to put checks on them. the two main are china and russia and I hope obama can work things out with russia. I think the jewish state can take care of Iran when it comes to push and shove.
this little piss ant country one of the poorest is trying to dictate world policy and destruction. tell the peole to get out as the country will be annhiliated. america/usa cannot do it alone.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthus View Post
We're going to be spreading ourselves way too thin if we get into a war with North Korea. If we do go to war with them, a draft would follow.
ps, america is cutting back in Iraq. so there are more troops available!
Old 07-06-2009, 02:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Don't forget the Chinese... the Froggies and Brits also have sub-launched nuke missiles as well.

The unfortunate thing is that until we counter with a massive buildup of troops (and we can't right now, especially with our commitments to Iraq and Afghanistan) to tell Da Chonger to take a flying f*** with a rolling doughnut I'm afraid our troops in Korea are relegated to 'speedbump' status. And the Japanese will really exercise their 'self-defense force' status if attacked.

Sounds like Da Chonger is suffering from cocaine-induced delusions of grandeur like Tony Montana...
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdeason1 View Post
which ones are you talking about? if not they are nuts/insane/wacko/dodo's/ or anything you wish to call them. it will take many countrys to put checks on them. the two main are china and russia and I hope obama can work things out with russia. I think the jewish state can take care of Iran when it comes to push and shove.
this little piss ant country one of the poorest is trying to dictate world policy and destruction. tell the peole to get out as the country will be annhiliated. america/usa cannot do it alone.
I'm not counting on China or Russia doing ANYTHING about North Korea. Same goes for the French, who apparently have been hinting that they might strike first (hands in the air for those of you who will believe it when you see it!). They don't really *like* North Korea, but they don't really *hate* it either. I think Japan, if provoked more, could very well make a case for a preemptive strike if it felt it was needed to defend itself. Sound familiar?

It wasn't in the news much, but out here in Washington state an announcement was made a week or two ago that a second port is being built at our nuclear sub base, which is already home to half of our country's nuclear subs. Coincidence?