Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,101
0 members and 1,101 guests
No Members online

Old 05-26-2009, 12:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Summer Activity

What chapters do summer activities and how organized are they? I've seen everything from nothing at all to chapters that considered running pledge classes during the summer.

With the University of the District of Columbia as a Petitioning Group, I expect that due to the school schedule, they are likely to remain active at about the same level as they do during the "traditional" school year...
Old 05-26-2009, 04:36 PM
GreekChat Member

I know my home chapter never did anything big in the summer. Those of us who remained in the area would try and get together for an informal social/ fellowship event-especially if there were people staying on campus for summer classes but other than that it was a quiet time.

I would assume the only schools that could do summer activities on a formal basis are very large chapters where many members might stay around for summer class or schools that operate on a trimester system. But I could be wrong.

Old 05-27-2009, 06:56 AM
GreekChat Member

UDC remains active not because of the school schedule, but because they are all local. We have recently had conversations regarding whether they would attempt summer pledge classes down the road.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:43 AM
GreekChat Member

The issue could turn on the definition of Enrolled

I think some of the ability of the chapter to do a pledge class may depend on how the school defines enrolled. I went to Carnegie-Mellon University which had a fairly rigid semester system and which didn't offer that many summer classes (some weeks during the summer classes for gifted High School students brought more students to class than the summer classes.) If you had asked the administration whether a student who had attended freshman classes September 1986 to May 1987 and was signed up for classes in September 1987 whether they were an enrolled student in July 1987, I think they would have said yes.

OTOH, if you have a school with a true trimester system, a student who doesn't sign up for May to September classes could be counted as not enrolled.

Someone who isn't enrolled can't be active, which means they can't vote on the pledges, etc., etc...
Old 06-02-2009, 02:24 PM
GreekChat Member

My home chapter at UIUC elects a "summer chair" who acts as the president during the summer term and whose tasks include planning bi-weekly service projects, fellowships, and organizing the summer reunion. Since no business is actually conducted during the summer (every "meeting" begins with a motion to adjourn), they don't run a pledge class.

The interest group I'm sponsoring at Parkland College will be doing activities over the summer since they're all local anyway in an effort to get all of their paperwork, projects and plans done so they can hit the ground running in the fall with a solid recruitment and (knock on wood) the Petitioning Group Ceremony in the early part of the semester.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:26 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^ Good luck, Arvid!
Old 06-02-2009, 07:05 PM
GreekChat Member

yeah good luck. Taking care of the essential but more tedious work during the summer can definetly save time in the fall. I know from my experience that I just needed some time off and that was what the summer was for but if you can successfully run a full year program more power to you.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvid1978 View Post
My home chapter at UIUC elects a "summer chair" who acts as the president during the summer term and whose tasks include planning bi-weekly service projects, fellowships, and organizing the summer reunion. Since no business is actually conducted during the summer (every "meeting" begins with a motion to adjourn), they don't run a pledge class.

The interest group I'm sponsoring at Parkland College will be doing activities over the summer since they're all local anyway in an effort to get all of their paperwork, projects and plans done so they can hit the ground running in the fall with a solid recruitment and (knock on wood) the Petitioning Group Ceremony in the early part of the semester.
Sounds like a great way to run meetings.

Good luck with Parkland. The better they can stay organized over the summer, the better it will look when the Chartering Application is reviewed...

Good luck!