» Online Users: 1,440
0 members and 1,440 guests
No Members online

Old 05-06-2009, 10:53 PM
GreekChat Member

I've learned:

Frat always has your back even when it doesn't seem like it

And

Nupes never khill because there's always work to done for Kappa.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Kue 1911 View Post
Never try to explain to your pop's and uncles who are all Omega's why you chose Kappa...some people just don't get it....lol.
My dad is the one who has a lot of explaining to do (to his Kappa friends). Both of his sons went Kappa (not Alpha like he wanted), and some of my dad's closest friends he went to college with are all Nupes. They tease him everytime they see or talk to him.

But he's still my dad and I will always look up to him and respect him as such.
Old 05-07-2009, 04:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
For a split second, I thought you meant coworkers who are teachers, LOL..... when I was in the classroom, I either bonded with other greeks, gained favor with aspiring Greeks, or pure d hatred from anti-greeks. Never anything in the middle.

This too. But I am a hater myself and I am okay with this.

Your screen name/line name is the most clever Kappa name I have ever seen. And this says a lot because I never compliment Kappas. See above.

There are no two of the same in my family. Delta mother, Sigma cousin, AKA cousin, Omega cousin. My half brother is also an Alpha though. Yayyyy unknown legacies.

Here is my contribution:

Membership in a fraternity or sorority is voluntary. Treat your chapter members as though they don't have to be there -- they don't. Thank them for their presence and for paying their dues. Genuinely be happy that they are there. Do fun stuff, even if you don't necessarily like all of them. Remember their birthdays and stuff.

I say all of this because all of our fraternities are in crisis.... older brothers talk about OBLIGATION but that sort of rhetoric doesn't work on the younger generations. Our race could feel obligated to do the work of our organizations during the civil rights movement (and earlier) because we knew it would elevate us all. Now, all we see are expensive galas and conventions and not a lot of the ground level work, leading many of us to believe 'Heck, I am doing the work of my organization daily by living out the principles and ideals.'

Which by and large is true.

BUT.... in order to combat the reluctance to pay dues and participate, we need to treat our brothers (and sisters) as volunteers who deserve to be thanked, not cash cows who need to be brow-beat in order to support.

I hope that made sense, it's really really been on my heart lately to help my own brothers understand the key to reclamation.
Oh my goodness....soooo true. My alumnae chapter's Reactivation/Retention committee (of which I'm the Chair) focusses on this in all that we do. We also feel it's very important to guide, mentor, and be supportive of new members and reactivating members. The bottom line is that we can talk about obligation all we want, but no one has to pay dues and participate if they don't choose to.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyBoy View Post
My dad is the one who has a lot of explaining to do (to his Kappa friends). Both of his sons went Kappa (not Alpha like he wanted), and some of my dad's closest friends he went to college with are all Nupes. They tease him everytime they see or talk to him.

But he's still my dad and I will always look up to him and respect him as such.
Now that’s just kruel Nupe…no man should have to bare that burden….lol. But like I told my pops…”nothing personal"….it’s just KAPPA!

Richard L. Evans
Old 05-08-2009, 08:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Kal-El
Every month or so you should do a self or chapter evaluation to see if you/ you all have fulfilled the Fundamental Purposes of Kappa Alpha Psi.
If you haven't then you didn't have as much fun as you should have had in the previous month. Special attention should be paid to promoting the Spiritual, Social, Intellectual, and Moral welfare of members.
Everybody may not be of the same faith, doesn't mean we can't pray together.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Kappachino3Klub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post
Every month or so you should do a self or chapter evaluation to see if you/ you all have fulfilled the Fundamental Purposes of Kappa Alpha Psi.
If you haven't then you didn't have as much fun as you should have had in the previous month. Special attention should be paid to promoting the Spiritual, Social, Intellectual, and Moral welfare of members.
Everybody may not be of the same faith, doesn't mean we can't pray together.

I agree. One of my bigs and I get together twice a month for goal setting. Not only does it give us both the opportunity to map out short term goals, but it also gives us the opportunity to BOND and "keep it live" with one another.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Kue 1911 View Post
Now that’s just kruel Nupe…no man should have to bare that burden….lol. But like I told my pops…”nothing personal"….it’s just KAPPA!
LOL. When I called my mom for Mothers Day today, I heard my dad in the background talking his usual trash about Kappa.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
LOL. When I called my mom for Mothers Day today, I heard my dad in the background talking his usual trash about Kappa.
My uncle tried that today. He is a Que, and we go through this at EVERY family function. He tends to talk a lot, and we usually tune him out, but today I had enough and said, "you know what happened to the DAWG in Old Yellar, right?" Lol!
Old 05-11-2009, 12:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAPPAtivating View Post
My uncle tried that today. He is a Que, and we go through this at EVERY family function. He tends to talk a lot, and we usually tune him out, but today I had enough and said, "you know what happened to the DAWG in Old Yellar, right?" Lol!
LOL.

I love it when my brother and I team up on my dad. An Alpha against two Nupes. He loses everytime.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
LOL.

I love it when my brother and I team up on my dad. An Alpha against two Nupes. He loses everytime.
I DIGGS the siggy too...lol!
Old 05-11-2009, 12:35 AM
GreekChat Member

One thing that I realized as a NUPE is that this FRAT will be around long after I am gone, so while I am here, I need to do everything I can to advance it to the next level.

I also thought about this the other morning when I was running and it started raining. One individual raindrop doesn't have a major effect on anyone, but when those raindrops are a combined force of other tiny drops, it proves to be powerful!
Old 05-11-2009, 12:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAPPAtivating View Post
I DIGGS the siggy too...lol!
Thanks, Phi. I'm just trying to keep up with yours.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:39 AM
GreekChat Member

[QUOTE=KAPPAtivating;1807988]One thing that I realized as a NUPE is that this FRAT will be around long after I am gone, so while I am here, I need to do everything I can to advance it to the next level.

I also thought about this the other morning when I was running and it started raining. One individual raindrop doesn't have a major effect on anyone, but when those raindrops are a combined force of other tiny drops, it proves to be powerful![/QUOTE]

That is such a true and powerful statement.....

Richard L. Evans