Threads: 115,581
Welcome to our newest member, Candida
» Online Users: 1,507
0 members and 1,507 guests
No Members online

Old 08-21-2008, 04:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Wanting more AXO chapters in Georgia!

Why is it that we have so few AXO chapters in the state of Georgia? University of Georgia and Georgia Tech are, of course, the largest, with Brenau being a strong chapter. Emory closed some time back, as did Georgia Southwestern.

I'm almost-a-baby-boomer and would love for my DDs to have AXO love, but, as Georgia has added the Hope Scholarship, and as it becomes more and more difficult to get into UGA and Tech, more students in the state are turning to smaller coleges and universities. Greek life is strong on campuses such as Georgia Southern, University of West Georgia, Georgia College and University in Milledgeville, Valdosta State and others. Typically southern sororities such as Phi Mu, ADPi and others are located at most every school in Georgia where Greek communities exist.

I'm just feeling a little left out. As we toured various schools a couple of years ago when my oldest was selecting her college, I was sad knowing that if she picked one of the schools listed above, she'd miss out on ever being exposed to Alpha Chi. Ultimately, she enrolled at UGA and is now a member of another GLO, loving her sisterhood, but still.....I'd love to see us stronger.

I"ve been involved as a volunteer at UGA off and on in the past, and most recently started a geographic group of our Alumni association here in our area where I've got lots of e-mail contact going with the women in our area - seems like we'd have enough support to help work with UWG or GC&SU if they wanted to colonize.

Can anyone enlighten me?
Go Greek!
Old 08-21-2008, 05:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Ultimately, it is up to the schools to open for expansion, and even then the school might find it fits better with another sorority. If these schools open for expansion, AXO HQ will decide whether or not to submit the application packet to be in the running.

I'm glad your daughter found a Greek home, even if it's not with Alpha Chi.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks. I'm thrilled, too. I love buying her greek letters, jerseys, etc. But, do you know how the process starts? Does it come from the college to the national chapter? Or, do alums in the area see a need and start it from there? Or, do students approach the college administration to add another?
Go Greek!
Old 08-21-2008, 09:11 PM
GreekChat Member

It really depends. I know some groups form on campus as interest groups, but usually the school does a lot of research to determine whether there is a need for another sorority. The campus I work at is in the process now, but the research phase can take a few years. After that they would announce they were open for expansion, groups would submit packets, a few would be chosen to present on campus, and then one would be selected. National groups will look at alumnae support in the area to determine whether there is enough support to sustain a chapter needing many volunteers to begin and succeed.
Old 08-23-2008, 05:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Depending on how things go, WGa could add a new group in 2009 or 2010 when the new Greek village opens if Panhellenic approves expansion.