Threads: 115,581
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,231
3 members and 1,228 guests
Xidelt

Old 08-07-2008, 04:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Arrow Ole Miss

So I have been looking at greek systems throughout the US and I have to say I am very sad that we no longer have a chapter at Ole Miss! It has an incredible sorority environment...some chapters are over 250 members. I really wish I could see our chapter return there, and I was wondering if there was any possibility that it will.

It closed in 95 so it has been over a decade since we left. I also wouldn't be too surprised if Ole Miss opened for expasion in the next few years. I think we are a strong Southern sorority that belongs there (and OU too!).
Old 08-07-2008, 11:03 PM
Super Moderator

Much as I would love to see ADPi at Ole Miss, the sororities there are SO well entrenched, it would really take an incredible amount of work and desire to see it happen. Their Panhellenic Council would have to want another sorority there, we would have to be selected, we would have to have a house (no two ways about it, and antebellum at that!), and a medium sized army of alumnae and legacies would have to jump into action.

But wouldn't it be great?!
Old 08-07-2008, 11:11 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
Much as I would love to see ADPi at Ole Miss, the sororities there are SO well entrenched, it would really take an incredible amount of work and desire to see it happen. Their Panhellenic Council would have to want another sorority there, we would have to be selected, we would have to have a house (no two ways about it, and antebellum at that!), and a medium sized army of alumnae and legacies would have to jump into action.

Pardon the crash, but I imagine a campus like that (and LSU!) would intimidate many a sorority HQ.

It seems that the sororities at Ole Miss are bursting at the seams, and one can only wonder when their Panhellenic will vote to allow one more group on campus.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post
Pardon the crash, but I imagine a campus like that (and LSU!) would intimidate many a sorority HQ.

It seems that the sororities at Ole Miss are bursting at the seams, and one can only wonder when their Panhellenic will vote to allow one more group on campus.
Pardon my crash as well

I think once all of the chapters are at total or above total that might happen. But as we have said in some other threads before, land is a big issue. The nearest land to Sorority Row has the new Residential College Halls being built on it as I type, so it might be a while before we see a new chapter. Other land available are some parking lots near Sorority Row and Rebel Drive where the current houses reside.

Trust me, another NPC group or even 2 more, would be nice but I don't think the time is right just yet. Plus, financially it would cost a new NPC group big bucks. A new house at Ole Miss would probably cost around 5 million I would think.

I think once the time is right on campus a new group would be embraced by the other NPC groups.
Old 08-10-2008, 09:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post

The same things were said about Bama just a few years ago. There had been talk for ages about needing to expand due to chapter size and ever growing PNM Recruitment class sizes. Lot's of speculation that it would be too intimidating and expensive to return/come on this campus due to the strong traditions, housing required, etc.

Yet when the time came to expand almost every missing group expressed strong interest in being considered. It was decided to look first to those groups who had chartered here in the past. While I'm sure they thought long and hard about it, especially given the cost of building comparable housing, they all ended up jumping at the chance.

Point being, with a strong Greek campus like Bama or in this case Ole Mis the opportunity to expand/return only comes about once in a blue moon. If a group has that chance they really need to take it because who knows when it will happen again?