Threads: 115,579
Welcome to our newest member, samthaswimmer
» Online Users: 1,309
2 members and 1,307 guests
LaneSig, Titchou

Old 11-03-2006, 05:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Health Science vs Biology/Micro

Which one do you think is better for going med school and what do you think are the advantages of one over the other?
Old 01-03-2007, 08:36 PM
Guest1

as a major? or as a class?
Old 01-06-2007, 02:11 PM
GreekChat Member

The statistics from the American Association of Medical Colleges show that major does not matter in regards to be "better" for medical school admission. The ratios of matriculants majors are nearly identicle to the ratio of applicants' majors.

That said, there are some schools (at least 2) that have come out publicly and said they prefer science majors. There are likely others that feel the opposite way, and certainly plenty that don't publicly announce their preferences. However, on the whole, major does not matter.

Also, be aware that "specialized health sciences" majors have the lowest average MCAT score of any of the macroscopic major categories defined by the AAMC. source: http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/2006/mcatgpabymaj1.htm

Finally, the advice I give to most pre-meds is that you should major in something you can be passionate about, something you'll enjoy. That's the most important thing since it doesn't matter to the medical schools.

- Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-06-2007, 10:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggroll View Post
Which one do you think is better for going med school and what do you think are the advantages of one over the other?
Health Science might be a little easier..class wise, but if you really want to get into medical school, you need to go the biology/micro...or even better--Chemistry.

At my old university, all freshmen were advised that you could realistically be ANY major and get into medical school, but it was much harder for health science majors to do well on the MCAT...thus being harder to get into medical school. We were also told that Chemistry majors had an easier time on the MCAT, and of course Physics majors probably had it the easiest.

If you really want to stay in the science field, i'd stay a bio or chem major.

Would you like a Cleveland Steamer or Alabama Hot Pocket with your Blumpkin?
Old 01-09-2007, 02:19 AM
GreekChat Member

It's not a great idea to study something just because you think it will help you get into medical school. That can be a formula for a lot of unhappiness and may ultimately cause one to abandon their medical school dreams...

- Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-13-2008, 02:36 AM
lalana2

Greetings,

Well i am a double major in health education and promotion and biology and i find they both go hand in hand docters are not really taught people skills when it comes to working with people when on my health side i learn how to teach people to prevent disease. doctors just focus on treatment. It your choice major in what makes you happen dear.