GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,186
Threads: 115,581
Welcome to our newest member, Candida
» Online Users: 1,530
0 members and 1,530 guests
No Members online

Old 03-28-2008, 07:10 PM
GreekChat Member

The Science and Technology Thread

Most of us are working on a college degree, masters, or doctorate degree. Since most of us are educated, I thought this would be an interesting thread to start.

In this thread we chit chat about science or inventions you may have heard about and new technology that's being used today. If it's something you've read, heard on the news or something that you are already familiar with, post it here so we can discuss it. I'm into astronomy, new medical technology, ecology and paleontology, but it can be about anything related to science. I'll start.

Do you think there's life in our solar system or maybe even outside of our solar system? What about UFOs? Are they real or just a hoax?

Your thoughts?
HARRIS/WALZ 2024
Old 03-28-2008, 07:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Scandia
There IS life in other planets in our solar system. Bacteria have been found in Mars.

Intelligent life is another question.

Regarding UFOs- how come the pilots and crew of those UFOs have not decided to descend on Earth if they have come close enough to be observed and discerned.

Theta Phi Alpha
Old 03-28-2008, 10:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Wink

How come none of the UFO's land in the ghetto? What's up with that? The little aliens can't hang out with the pimps, hoes, hustlers, gangsters, thugs, criminals or drunks, etc.?

Why they always stealing cows on the farm and taking the farmer for butt probes?

"Yo soy una mujer negra" ~Zoe Saldana
Old 03-28-2008, 10:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Nanotechnology is not a major for the faint of heart...or bad math skills.

Bring on the UFOs. UFOs bring out Fox Mulder, and I love me some Fox Mulder.
Old 03-29-2008, 10:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Regarding the UFOs landing in farms and not in urban areas, guess they simply want a larger space for landing and a place less populated by humans and buildings. Maybe they want to be discrete and not cause a fuss. Maybe they find humans intimidating already.

Theta Phi Alpha
Old 03-29-2008, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scandia View Post
There IS life in other planets in our solar system. Bacteria have been found in Mars.

Intelligent life is another question.

Regarding UFOs- how come the pilots and crew of those UFOs have not decided to descend on Earth if they have come close enough to be observed and discerned.
Intelligent life on this planet is another question.

Maybe the folks in those UFOs can't breathe our air?
Old 03-29-2008, 11:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Possible, but wouldn't they be bringing breathing tanks like we did when we went to the Moon?

If they are intelligent enough to design, build, and travel a spaceship that far away, they are also intelligent enough to realize that a different planet may not have a similar atmosphere to the one they reside in.

Theta Phi Alpha
Old 03-29-2008, 11:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Maybe they're really intelligent life forms and just don't want to talk to us.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 03-30-2008, 05:51 AM
GreekChat Member

lol lol at some of the posts I read.

At one time I thought their may have been UFOs visiting Earth, but now I'm not so sure. I think if ETs were visiting our planet, they would have made an appearance by now. However, I do believe there's life somewhere out there. The universe is forever expanding, so how could there not be intelligent life forms out there?

Scania, as far as I know, there is no life on Mars and there never was bacteria found there. I think what you may be referring to, and I may be wrong, but you're thinking of the fossilized bacteria found on Mars. At least that's what scientists think it is. That's what they found, not actual living bacteria. I do think at one time Mars was more than likely a warmer climate with water in it's distant past, so there may have been some kind of primitive life there.

While we're on the subject of Mars, I wonder if we're running low on resourses here on Earth. We want to colonize Mars and turn it green, so it can support life. Why the need? Astronauts went to the moon nearly 40 years ago, and decades later it's still the furthest human beings have gone. The next obvious place to go is of course Mars. I think the discoveries we make on Mars could reshape the way we think about our place in the universe.

The money we're spending in Iraq which is a total waste, we could be using to do further research on Mars. I'd say going to Mars could range from tens to hundreds of billions of dollars. Now that I think about it, to put this in perspective, it's considerably less than what the United States has spent in Iraq.
HARRIS/WALZ 2024

Last edited by cheerfulgreek; 03-30-2008 at 05:53 AM.
Old 03-30-2008, 02:09 PM
GreekChat Member

On the subject of UFOs, I think there is most likely intelligent life out there, but that Earth hasn't experienced other intelligent beings at all.
The aliens always described are too similar to creatures on Earth. Central spine, usually bipedal organisms with a head on top with faces similar to ours...There would be so many other paths for evolution to take on other planets, so I doubt they'd be so similar.
Old 03-31-2008, 08:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjsoffer View Post
On the subject of UFOs, I think there is most likely intelligent life out there, but that Earth hasn't experienced other intelligent beings at all.
The aliens always described are too similar to creatures on Earth. Central spine, usually bipedal organisms with a head on top with faces similar to ours...There would be so many other paths for evolution to take on other planets, so I doubt they'd be so similar.
I can agree with this. I really never looked at it like that, but I do believe with us and any other life forms in the universe (if there are other life forms) is it has to be within the habitable zone of a star, like we are to our star (the Sun). Also, circular orbits within that particular habitable zone, I think would offer the most stable planetary climates where life could exist. I also think it has to be within the range where the temperatures are right for liquid water to exist on a planets surface.
HARRIS/WALZ 2024