GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,152
Threads: 115,579
Welcome to our newest member, horsearcher
» Online Users: 1,403
1 members and 1,402 guests
flirt5721

Old 11-21-2007, 01:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Teacher gifts are definitely not just an East Coast or Southern thing. I think it is an elementary school thing though. That elementary teacher spends more time in direct contact with my child than I do a lot of the time. The teachers and I are working together to raise independent, intelligent, and responsible children, so of course I will get them a gift! I really appreciated all they did and that they dedicated their career to bettering our world by choosing to teach our kids.
Old 11-21-2007, 05:37 PM
GreekChat Member

I teach second grade in Illinois, and this year our PTO has requested that each teacher create a "wish list" which can be shared with parents who indicate an interest.

I felt very awkward creating a wish list because I felt like I was begging for a gift.

My favorite gifts have always been when a parent (or student) sits down and writes a heartfelt card. I have a collection of these in my desk drawer that I will often pull out when I am having a bad day
Old 11-21-2007, 10:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KappaKittyCat
I think it's definitely an elementary school thing. And I also vote for a bookstore gift card. And I second the notion of putting it inside a sweet card with a note.
Old 11-22-2007, 01:31 AM
GreekChat Member

The parents of one of my students run a local restaurant and today, they brought me a homemade pumpkin pie as a Thanksgiving gift. It was really sweet they thought enough of me to make me one and it was delicious. Mike & I enjoyed it. Now I have to write them a Thank You card.
Old 11-24-2007, 12:22 PM
GreekChat Member

I taught high school at a private school, and gifts were a big thing there - but remember, I had senior classes of 20 - 40, so I knew these students REALLY well (and loved them lots!)
My favorite class gifts (from the whole senior class - I was their homeroom teacher) - black leather motorcycle jacket
-original French Casablanca movie poster
- Disney snowglobes
and each class got me a charm for a charm bracelet the first graduating class I had gave me.
Old 11-24-2007, 09:04 PM
GreekChat Member

My mom used to be a teacher. The best gifts were gift cards, because she could buy something that was in her taste. The parents would go in together and give her one large Visa gift card. She didn't expect any gifts, but it was nice to receive them if the children and their parents wanted to give them.

She also really appreciated when her kids took the time to write her a holiday greeting card.