GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,161
Threads: 115,586
Welcome to our newest member, BillWitt27
» Online Users: 1,076
0 members and 1,076 guests
No Members online

Old 02-13-2006, 10:31 AM
GreekChat Member

I got pulled over for 10 mph over the limit. The officer pulled my (then) boyfriend (who was Mexican) out of the car and searched him. Pulled his cousin (also Mexican) out of the car and searched him. Pulled me out of the car (didn't search me) and gave me a WARNING and then asked to search the car. Searched the car, and then left. A WARNING for 10 over! I'm greatful I didn't get a ticket, but HELLO could you make it a little more obivious that your only intention was to search the Mexicans??
Old 02-13-2006, 02:03 PM
GreekChat Member

My 21st birthday. There was a cop in the downstairs area of the club we were at. I was drunk, and my sisters and I were on our way out. I'd already made a fool of myself too many times and they just wanted to get me home.

So we're getting our coats and things, when I just wander over to the cop and start telling hiom how much the club sucks. I thought I was speaking in a normal voice, but apparently I was screaming. The cop was like "Hey calm down ma'am or we will take you downtown for public intox" My sisters immediately run over to the cop and BEG for him not to arrest me because I just turned 21 and I don't even drink all the time.

He just said "Get her out of here". And with that, we went home. It was just funny because anyone who knows me knows that i'm just not the kind of person to even come CLOSE to getting arrested.

Lakers Nation.
Old 02-13-2006, 07:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Wink

Cant relate all of the times!

But, I was a Good Boy!

Ask My Mama!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 02-13-2006, 07:35 PM
GreekChat Member

I haven't had many run-ins w/ the law.

I think the most entertaining one was when I was on a road trip w/ 3 friends to Six Flags. The friend who said she'd drive apparently had expired registration & inspection stickers so we got pulled over by an old cop who just seemed VERY grumpy.

As he was writing out a ticket for my friend, we asked for directions to the mall b/c we weren't from the area. Then we asked the cop to take a picture with us for our scrapbook
Old 09-29-2007, 11:51 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to moe.ron
Breaking the Law, Breaking the Law
Old 09-30-2007, 09:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Making the mistake of being absolutely honest - while coming back from Mexico I declared a small bottle of brandy. And that was it. The Customs Agent thought that couldn't be right, so unpacked ALL my suitcases and went through everything. YIKES.
Old 09-30-2007, 10:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
Making the mistake of being absolutely honest - while coming back from Mexico I declared a small bottle of brandy. And that was it. The Customs Agent thought that couldn't be right, so unpacked ALL my suitcases and went through everything. YIKES.
That's actually surprising. During my ONE trip to Mexico I found it was easier to come back to the U.S. than it was to get into Mexico.

I went with a big group and we didn't get back to the border until maybe 11 PM. Maybe the Border Guy was tired or something, but he honestly didn't even look at our passports/birth certs.

When I was going through (we had to go through on foot because our U.S. transportation was waiting on the other side) the Agent didn't not even glance at my birth certificate all he asked in a tired voice was "did you bring anything?" I said no and that was it.
Old 09-30-2007, 02:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Mine was in high school, almost 30 years ago.

It was the week prior to graduation and the senior class always got together at midnight for a Senior Prank. Typically, it involved something traditional like toilet papering the school or painting the bell.

Well....we had to be different. We all got together and decided to hang as many pairs of very large underware outside the school. Everyone hit K-Mart and bought those 3-pack of the cheapest we could find.

Most people took the easy route and hung their pairs in the courtyard trees or dangling from the school sign, and left. After all, it was a school night and after midnight.

Six guys and myself (I was the ring-leader) decided to tie all of our pairs together and run them up the flagpole. We were all laughing so hard that one of the neighbors heard us and called the police since they thought we were breaking into the school.

Here comes the police, and haul all of us to the station -- which was only a few blocks away. It turned out that not only was I the only girl, I was the only one that was 18. So as the police were calling the parents of the minors for curfew violations, they were contemplating vandalism charges against me. I don't remember caring that much.

I'm not sure why they called my parents since I was not a minor, but my dad told me he started to laugh as they told him that I was being held for running women's underware up the flag pole. I then saw the officer get a strange look on his face. When he put my dad on hold, he said, "Your dad wants to know if any of the pairs were your mother's".

My sarcastic response, "No, they are not her size".

Someone was on the phone with the principal. Not sure what all was discussed but we were all told that everything needed to be cleaned up by 6:00 am or we would be charged. So, we grabbed trash bags from the police station and cleaned up over 500 pairs of underware and piled them into my Chevette (it was 1980, ok!).

Being 18 and never cleaning up my car, I carried the trashbags full of underware around all summer. Finally, at an end of the summer party, I emptied the bags into the Junior Class President's car (he was a good friend). I never found out if he passed them on.
Old 09-30-2007, 11:11 PM
Super Moderator

I've told my story here, post #55. It's one of the best I have.
Old 09-30-2007, 11:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
I've told my story here, post #55. It's one of the best I have.
HC - thank you so much for repointing me to that post! Everytime I read it, I get this dorky smile on my face!

I sooooooooo want to visit Georgia Wesleyan!
Old 09-30-2007, 11:53 PM
GreekChat Member

I DID have one problem when I was about 16 years old. This was around the time that my cousin's adoption (my aunt adopted her from the city right across the border--Juarez) wasn't finalized, so we had to cross the border to try and get it finalized. When we were crossing back over (to the U.S. side), we had to go through the "checkpoint" and everything. This was my first time crossing on foot, so I didn't know you had to show anything.

The guy who was directing us through the checkpoint and asked me for my ID. I told him that I had barely turned 16 and didn't have an ID. So he asked me for my birth certificate. I sarcastically told him, "yeah let me pull that out of my back pocket for you" and then i rolled my eyes. Obviously that pissed him off. He told me he was going to detain me, search me and then arrest me. I gave him the WTF look and then told him, "Well sir, since you OBVIOUSLY aren't from the U.S., I'll let you in on this little thing we call our constitution. If you even TRY to search me, that constitutes an 'illegal search and seizure' because 1. You have no warrant to search my person and 2. you have no reason to search me. So, you can go ahead and do all you want, but be sure that i WILL sue your pants off."

OMG, my aunt took a few steps back and acted like she didn't know me. I gave this half-ass smile back to the guy and all he said was "well young lady, if I ever see cross again without any identification, I will detain you, and if I can't verify your citizenship you will be sent back to Mexico."

Now, I've learned not to be a smartass to policemen. Plus, I think everything I told him was wrong anyways! (well according to my government teacher)

Would you like a Cleveland Steamer or Alabama Hot Pocket with your Blumpkin?
Old 10-01-2007, 10:56 AM
GreekChat Member

This isn't dramatic so much as funny miscommunication. Last summer, my husband and I were living in Nashville for 3 months during his internship. We lived near a college and graduation had happened the week before. I was driving to do some errands when a cop waves me over.

Cop: Do you know why I pulled you over?

Me: No, sir

Cop: You didn't come to a complete stop at that stop sign.

Me: I didn't?

Cop: Are you student here?

Me: No

Cop: (unbelieving look) Were you a student here?

Me: No

Cop: (confused look) Let me see your ID. (which is an IN license) How long have you been in Tennessee?

Me: Three weeks.

Cop: You have 30 days.

Me: To do what? (thinking - to contest this stupid ticket!)

Cop: To get a Tennessee license

Me: What if my primary residence is in Indiana?

Cop: (tired look) Have a nice day, ma'am.
Old 10-02-2007, 03:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Hmm.....as far as entertaining, I'd go with my first time driving by myself. I took my dad's Volvo to school one night to meet the Science Club for our trip to the planetarium (yes, I was a certified geek, right down to my braces--no, I did not grow out of it). So we go, have fun, and come back. Now, I just need to drive home. My dad had absolutely forbade me to drive on the freeway, so I had to take the sidestreets home. No problem, right? Wrong. I went to the hoity-toity private school across town, about a 45 minute drive with no freeway. I'd only ever taken sidestreets TO school, going home I'd always taken the bus and train, so I never noticed one of those streets was one way. I had no idea how to get home without that street, so I ended up getting lost. Well, when you're 16 and lost, you tend to not notice the little things...like being in a right turn lane. There was no cement island that forced you to turn, so I just kept going straight until I noticed blue and red lights were following me. As I pulled over, I started sweating bullets and hyperventilating. My first time out and I was going to be arrested. My dad was going to kill me if I didn't get knifed down in prison first. It was going to be just like on TV and before I lived to see 17, I'd have been traded for a pack of cigarette's and nicknamed Tiny. This really tall cop gets out of his car and starts to lumber toward my car looking like John Wayne coming off a horse. My dad's Volvo was a very business-y type of car--very impressive looking with the little wipers for the headlights and everything. It just screamed powerful, middle-aged businessman. So the cop puts on his baddest game face and comes up to the huge, box-shaped Volvo and knocked on the window. The window rolled down and I swear his whole face scrunched into confusion when he realized he'd done all that tough guy action for a girl, barely over 5 feet with overalls, pigtails, and braces who looked like she was 13 and about to pee in her pants any second. I literally expected him to scratch his head, he looked that confused.

First, he checked my license for a full 5 minutes, making sure the holograms and everything were there (in 11th grade, I could've easily passed for junior high.) Then, he gave me a ticket for failure to obey traffic signs or something. If I'd thought of it, I'm sure I could have cried about how lost I was to get out of it, but I was too nervous at the time. Finally, he let me go and I found my way back to school, took the freeway from there, and was home in 15 minutes. I gave my dad the ticket and said, "Don't even try to make me pay for it because you're then one who said I couldn't take the freeway, which I had to do anyway. Plus, I'm 16, I'd just borrow the money from you anyway." My parents fussed for awhile, then the whole thing just became one of those family stories that were so not funny, we silently agreed to just never bring it up again. I like it that way.

"My dreams have become letters." ~christiangirl

Last edited by christiangirl; 10-02-2007 at 03:34 AM.
Old 10-02-2007, 05:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas*princess View Post
That's actually surprising. During my ONE trip to Mexico I found it was easier to come back to the U.S. than it was to get into Mexico.

I went with a big group and we didn't get back to the border until maybe 11 PM. Maybe the Border Guy was tired or something, but he honestly didn't even look at our passports/birth certs.

When I was going through (we had to go through on foot because our U.S. transportation was waiting on the other side) the Agent didn't not even glance at my birth certificate all he asked in a tired voice was "did you bring anything?" I said no and that was it.
What is it about customs agents and border patrol? Both of my stories have to do with customs agents at the same friggin' airport (Charlotte). When I was a senior in college, I took a special topics class on Cuba. Part of the class was to go on a trip to Cuba during Spring Break (which was AWESOME, btw). Everything there was so cheap, and the rum and cigars were, of course, two of the items I wanted to definitely bring back with me. So I bought about 8 bottles of rum (they were probably $6 each) and three boxes of cigars. When we came back to the states via Charlotte, I had my bottles of rum in a carry-on with me. When I sat my bag down to show the agent my passport and documentation, he heard the clink from the bottles. He said, "Ma'am, what's in your bag?" I told him I had rum. He asked me, "Ma'am, are you 21?" I told him that he had my passport, he could see that I was. Then he let me go without searching me. *whew* A friend of mine in the class wasn't so lucky. She wasn't 21, so they confiscated everything she had brought back. It sucked for her.

Last edited by scbelle; 10-02-2007 at 10:45 AM.