GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,151
Threads: 115,578
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,114
2 members and 1,112 guests
LaneSig

Old 01-14-2002, 11:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Changes! (i.e. more Tiffany bracelets)

Ok, So just when I was beginning to think that I went to a normal-not to rich/just right $$wise school, I get to my first class and 3 girls are wearing that Tiffany charm bracelet. In my next class, another two girls! And it's not like they were lecture classes, they were like 15-25 ppl per class. I wouldn't think too much of it normally, but I have NEVER seen anyone wearing one at my school before today. It's like I've suddenly been transported to an east coast school where people can afford stuff like that!

Anyone else notice changes since school started again??
Old 01-15-2002, 01:55 PM
GreekChat Member

It may not have actually been the "Tiffany" bracelet. There are lots of knockoffs out there for $30 or so. I've seen them in the Victoria's Secret catalog, and on various websites while looking for bridesmaid jewelry. I've even seen them from street vendors in New York and Atlanta.
Old 01-15-2002, 05:13 PM
GreekChat Member

how can you tell what store it comes from?? And what exactly is a charm bracelet? I've always heard that but never knew. Do they have them for guys?
Old 01-15-2002, 05:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Legally Blonde made the bracelets 10xs more popular than before.

You can tell if its a real Tiffany's if you know what you're looking for:

1.) Tiffany's bracelet does NOT have the toggle bar closure. Only the necklace does. If doesn't have a claw clasp, it might be a fake.

2.) Look at the shape of the heart. Tiffany's heart is not perfectly heart shaped. Its heart shaped with a piece at a top that kinda arches over the heart and serves as the loop that connects the bracelet to the charm.

3.) If you get close enough, or have really good eyes, you can see that the bracelet is stamped "Tiffany and Co" near the top of the heart.

There are some pretty good fakes out there, but they usually mess up either the clasp or the shape of the heart. Its kinda like the Kate Spades. An untrained eye would see a black boxy purse with the label and go "oh that's a Sam" but if you know what a real Sam looks like, you know it doesn't have feet, doesn't have gingham or animal print lining, etc

Speaking of Tiffany fakes, Ann Taylor has a pretty good copy of the small Elsa Peretti open heart. Kinda ticked me off - I thought I had a piece that hadn't been copied a million times over yet. Oh well, I know its real
Old 01-16-2002, 12:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Yea, so I am not feeling the east coast remark in the least bit, but anyways, not everyone on the East Coast has those , really they aren't even that big of a deal in a lot of "East Coast " States. But like someone mentioned earlier there are many knock offs, anything from the Victoria Secret Ones, to the cheaper ones at Claires or Accessory stores. I mean which ever ones you get or wear for those who wear them, they are cute bracelets.
DGP~Honey~
Old 01-16-2002, 12:45 AM
GreekChat Member

DGPhoney- I'm sorry about the est coast remark, I was generalizing. I just mean money schools (private) more than the public U I go to. And I never realized that there were so many knock offs!
Old 01-16-2002, 01:06 AM

Yeah, all of that trendy stuff is big at the U of Az too. Kate Spade, Tiffany bracelets, etc.
Old 01-16-2002, 01:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to dzsaigirl
Real ones are rampant on the U of H campus and we are a commuter school...so it doesn't really matter where you go.
Old 01-16-2002, 01:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via AIM to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via Yahoo to AchtungBaby80
I have one of the "fake" bracelets, actually...my roommate gave it to me for my 21st birthday, and I love it!

And yes, I wear toe rings. They feel weird the first time you put one on, but it's like a bra--once you get used to it, you don't even feel it.
Old 01-16-2002, 03:06 PM

I bet some of them were the knockoff versions.....there are some pretty good ones out there. However.....maybe I am totally out of touch with reality here but I don't think those bracelets are so expensive. I have the set that is really similar, the "Return To Tiffany's" set with the round tags (I'm not really into the whole heart thing) and even with both pieces it wasn't that bad. I do think that the Tiffany gold pieces are overpriced, but then it is usually 18k and their stuff tends to be heavy. But for the quality I don't think the silver is bad.
Old 01-16-2002, 03:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Be careful with toe rings. I wore a real gold one for 5 years. I switched to white gold and had a ring sized to the same size as the one I'd been wearing for years. The first night I had it on something happened and my toe swelled and the ring wouldn't come off. I elevated my foot for four hours and iced it and tried everything from windex to soap. My roomies were about to take me to the hospital in the middle of the night to get it removed and I stuck my foot in a tub of cold water with ice and tried soap one last time and it finally came off. Now I only wear the kind that open in the back.
Old 01-16-2002, 06:44 PM
GreekChat Member

I wish when I was in school the Greeks did change more like that. I think it is pretty cute when you can go to a school and pick out the sorority girls, call me crazy!

Erica, I just got that "return to tiffany & co" set this Xmas! Isn't it great! I am not a fan of hearts unless it's Valentines!

I think you find more of those type schools in the south, at leats from what I have seen!
Old 01-16-2002, 09:27 PM
GreekChat Member

I dunno about Bama, Ole Miss, etc, but at LSU Tiffany's isn't a big deal. People only started wearing the heart bracelets after the fakes made it big.

Mignon Faget is the big deal down here. I like to mix and match
Old 01-16-2002, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by LexiKD
I wish when I was in school the Greeks did change more like that. I think it is pretty cute when you can go to a school and pick out the sorority girls, call me crazy!

Erica, I just got that "return to tiffany & co" set this Xmas! Isn't it great! I am not a fan of hearts unless it's Valentines!

I think you find more of those type schools in the south, at leats from what I have seen!
Lexi, if you're still speaking to me after my reply to your post in the Wild Girls thread, I totally agree.....I wish we had done the "sorority girl" thing more......we all just had our bags and shirts pretty much to distinguish us. I don't have a problem with hearts per se, but I just think they're a little cutesy. To me, the "return to Tiffany" set is a little more versatile and it is a bit unique considering everyone else wants the heart set. We may not agree on posing and flashing, but we seem to have the same impeccable fashion sense!!!!