GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,153
Threads: 115,579
Welcome to our newest member, samthaswimmer
» Online Users: 1,499
0 members and 1,499 guests
No Members online

Old 12-13-2006, 02:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Who you calling "boy"? The name's Hand Banana . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSigkid View Post
For me, it's been a way to get back into touch with some friends, and an easier way to keep in touch with others. Also, I've had some friends track me down. Of course, they can't see my information unless I "friend" them, and the only picture I have are ones that aren't embarassing. Additionally, I don't have any of my contact info on my page. People would have to message me, and would have to have my email address through other means to even email me.
Yeah, exactly - the beauty of myspace is that superficial or simple messages can be shipped instantly, and conveniently. Instead of calling ksigkid to go "OH GOD I HATE THE YANKEES WHY DID THEY HAVE TO GET ABREU FOR DICK" I can drop him a message. It's not very personal, but then again we can discuss personal issues via personal means - I can always email him if I have something important to say. I almost never have anything important to say, so the superficial messages can be passed along much more easily.

However, as a buddy of mine put it, it is truly the forum for the self-absorbed - just read this thread, it's hilarious, and it's from people in the top 15% or so of educational strata.

My page can't be found by searching for my name - it's not listed under my real name, and I have a different email address for use w/ clients and employers. There are enough identifying details that anyone who knows me can find me, but not enough to locate me if you're trying to "fight, yo" . . . however, I've seen people list their kids' names, schools, etc - it's just like life: there are varying degrees of both stupidity, and risk tolerance, but most people don't know the difference between the two.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSig RC View Post
My page can't be found by searching for my name - it's not listed under my real name, and I have a different email address for use w/ clients and employers. There are enough identifying details that anyone who knows me can find me, but not enough to locate me if you're trying to "fight, yo" . . . however, I've seen people list their kids' names, schools, etc - it's just like life: there are varying degrees of both stupidity, and risk tolerance, but most people don't know the difference between the two.
And I've also seen people link to their employers in the profiles, and then post blogs about "OMG I HATE WORK" postings. I question the wisdom of venting about personal things through a semi-public page, except for, of course, venting about ones favorite sports teams.
Old 12-13-2006, 03:13 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by EE-BO View Post

Purely out of curiosity- what is the real benefit of being out there on MySpace? Do people really meet that many new real life friends or make connections for work? I just ask because the potential downsides seem so great. Maybe in certain lines of work it is more helpful than in others?
When I joined MySpace over three years ago, I joined because everyone was doing it. It was a way to keep up with current friends.

Since then it's been a tremendous help in locating high school classmates, and that's important because my 10 year reunion's next year.

I don't use it to make new friends. I'm quite content with those I know now, and when I get friend requests from someone I don't know...it's just easy to hit that reject button. I know 99.9% of those friends I have saved IRL. The other 0.9% are individuals I met via GC.
Old 12-13-2006, 05:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Outside of a few girls from GC, I only add people I know.

I don't use MySpace to meet people. It has been great in helping me keep in touch with people from high school and such.

Lakers Nation.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:58 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't look for people on Myspace. I use it to look for music/DJs/local events/sports-related stuff and to send messages -- for whatever reason, I seem to use Myspace over email/IM to get in touch with a few people.

I've been trying to get all the irrelevant shit off my page, which is more of a pain in the ass than I ever imagined. I also don't put much of my business out there because, well, why?
Old 12-13-2006, 09:33 PM
Super Moderator

I work in a law office which does a substantial amount of family law.

You'd be surprised what adverse parties put on their myspace pages.. hilarious..

E.g., "OMG Last night, I was SOOOOooo High!!!"

3 postings later...

"I love my little girl."

-- People on that site have a touch of the downs I think.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 12-14-2006, 11:03 AM

If you have big giant flashy graphics which mean I can't see your whole page at once on my computer screen, you probably suck. Unless you're 16. Then you get a pass. If you are 35 you do not.

Oh, and when you're describing yourself, your life philosophy or your favorite movies, it's good to SPELL CORRECTLY. If you really have seen "Appocalpys Now" 45 times, I would think the spelling on the titles would have sunk into your brain.
Old 03-22-2007, 12:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ziasha07 Send a message via Yahoo to ziasha07
I use myspace to find out more about certain people, to keep in contact with those I don't see that much or don't have classes with and things like that. Of course my profile is set on private and if I don't know you I won't add you. Also it's great for staying in the know about church events in my area.

Pet peeves ~ People with ridculous amounts of friends, fake celebrity profiles, people with so much on their page that it takes twenty years to load, and profile hackers. CHANGE YOUR PASSWORD!
Spring 2009 #5 1000 Words Spring 2010 Beta Class

*Miss Nikon* Colors so vivid, you pose like *click, click*
Old 03-22-2007, 12:16 AM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziasha07 View Post
CHANGE YOUR PASSWORD!
Sometimes changing your password isn't enough.

People are so desperate to pimp out their profiles that they don't pay attention to what they're putting in their "About Me" (etc) sections. If a file ends in .swf and you don't think it's supposed to be there, it's not supposed to be there.

It'll phish your information as well as those who visit your page.

And pay attention to the damn login page. If you get a login redirect, login again at www.myspace.com and not the page you got.
Old 03-22-2007, 12:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
How do they find them (employers)? People don't put their real, full names on there do they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSigkid View Post
They should be, but they aren't. I know there are employers/grad schools that look online at candidates, and that includes MySpace pages, Facebook pages, etc. I mean, you can obviously make your page private, but people are judged on first impressions. If the job or scholastic position is high-competition, anything unprofessional or questionable about the applicant will be a detriment. Maybe it's not fair, but that's life.

As for me, I never really think of anything when I look at pages. The only friends I have are people who I'm actually friends with, so the pages don't matter much to me. The high graphic pages bug me sometimes, but besides that, no other thoughts really cross my mind.
Old 03-22-2007, 12:37 AM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
How do they find them (employers)? People don't put their real, full names on there do they?
First and last names aren't published, but if you type it into their search engine, it'll bring up your profile. It's used for search purposes only.
Old 03-22-2007, 12:55 AM
GreekChat Member

I look at other people's pictures and then mock them relentlessly. Sometimes I send fake messages pretending to be nice so I can get on their friend list and then I can view their pictures that way. Then I mock them some more.

Myspace is evil but provides endless amounts of entertainment for forum threads like 'Trolls of Myspace'.

And Jesus speaketh, "do unto others as they did unto you because the bitches deserve it".

Old 03-22-2007, 11:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
Ahh . . thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post
First and last names aren't published, but if you type it into their search engine, it'll bring up your profile. It's used for search purposes only.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Thank you. This thread just made me change my settings.

I use a my .edu address for my resumes (not my regular email), and I just removed my first name from my information so it wouldnt show up in a search. Initially, I had removed my last name, but realized that...people need either last name or email to add to my friends list.

I wanted to leave it public, not like I really have anything to hide, but hopesully it makes it harder to search for me now - now that I'm 6 weeks shy of graduating and finally getting job interviews.

Last edited by amanda6035; 03-23-2007 at 12:16 AM.