GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Gamma Delta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,154
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,457
2 members and 1,455 guests
Cookiez17

Old 01-08-2002, 11:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to winnieb
What do you expect in an advisor?

I am now the scholarship advisor for the Epsilon Beta (Univ. of Kansas). I had my official meeting with the chapter meeting tonight. She brought me up to speed on the chapter, gave me E.C. dates, etc. I am so excited!!!

What do you expect out of your advisors? And what makes a good advisor?

Thanks!!!

Loyally--
Old 01-09-2002, 12:07 AM
GreekChat Member

I think dependability is a good trait to have as an advisor. If a sister calls and leaves a message, call them back when you can. If you set up a meeting with an undergrad, show up. Sounds so basic...but you'd be SURPRISED at some advisors out there that can't even handle that the basics.

I am glad you are excited about helping out the chapter! Your attitude shows and it is greatly appreciated by the chapter
Old 01-09-2002, 02:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

One thing that is very important in being an advisor is respect for the officer(s) that you are advising.

It is very important to understand that the other sister is indeed the officer and that your role is really to serve as an advisor.

Advisors are not officers, and they need to understand that and realize that ultimately the officers are the ones that need to make decisions, advisors are there to guide but are not necessarily the ones that need to make decisions.

I as an advisor feel that sometimes other advisors forget this, that they are not the 'boss' and that age or experience does not necesarily amount to being the 'boss'.

Advisors are not as attached to a Chapter as the Officers, Officers' choices directly affect the Chapter and they are a part of that Chapter. As an Advisor, a sister needs to remember to not 'take over' and be 'bossy' to the sister that one advises.
One reason why there is that thought about having Advisors be sisters that have not recently graduated from that specific Chapter. I know that if I were a new advisor that was a recent senior, then I might be more wrapped up into the problems and issues. By being an 'outsider' in some ways, it becomes easier to look at issues in a more objective matter and this helps in being fair when decisions are being made.

One important trait that all leaders should have. . .
fairness, consistency, and accuracy.
(Among many, of course, LOL!)
Old 01-09-2002, 07:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Great post, Jeannine!!

I would like to add...if others didn't..come to the events you are supposed to unless there is an emergency or unavoidable problem.

Nina, I agree about phone calls..same with emails, no matter who it is..especially if I needed information!!!
Gotta go...email bell

This is from my sister-in-law...sorry, I couldn't resist...

A study in Scotland showed that the kind of male face a woman finds attractive can differ depending on the hormone cycle. For instance, if she is ovulating she is attracted to men with rugged, masculine features and if she is menopausal she is more prone to be attracted to a man with scissors shoved in his temple.

Last edited by AGDLynn; 01-10-2002 at 11:01 PM.
Old 01-11-2002, 01:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to JenAGD Send a message via Yahoo to JenAGD
Wendy,

Congrats on your new advisor status! As the past year's VP Scholarship of my chapter, I feel I can give you some good advice regarding your new position.

I will reemphasize the points the other girls have made...keep in touch with your officer. Call/email her back promptly when she tries to contact you. Also, it's a good idea to contact her every week or so even if she hasn't attempted to contact you. I think a good relationship between an officer and her advisor makes for a way more productive and successful team. Also, let her know that you are on her side and are there for her support. In Scholarship, there can often be debates, arguments, etc. about study rules, study hours, and the basic strictness of the office. It is a stressful office to have and knowing that you have the support of your advisor is a much needed comfort.

Hope I've been somewhat helpful!

LIEP
Jen