GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,186
Threads: 115,581
Welcome to our newest member, Candida
» Online Users: 1,480
0 members and 1,480 guests
No Members online
Closed Thread

Old 11-18-2003, 01:56 AM

Angry

Like Stan says this really sucks now that our fraternity is in a rebuilding stage. Hopefully something like this never happens again, (urine and vinegar) come on now.....have some respect dear lord.
Old 11-22-2003, 12:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Update: Delta Sigma Phi National Council Action

According to an Associated Press article Novemeber 21, Delta Sigma Phi HQ has suspended the U. of Virginia chapter. The chapter will be reorganized. The fraternity may expel or suspend some of the members. At this point the timeline for the suspension and reorganization is indefinite.

The fairly short article can be found at

http://www.wjla.com/news/stories/1103/111235.html

or by doing a Google News search.

Seems like reasonable action, assuming that the Delta Sigma Phi inquiry into the allegations came up with indications of serious problems.
Old 11-22-2003, 01:32 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by exlurker
What I wonder is whether there are communicable diseases that can be transmitted in urine? Are there any medical doctors or epidemiologists on GC who know? If there's a chance of transmission (and if the allegations are true), the guys who were doused should probably get tested or get info on warning signs.
Well, see... Here's where they were smart. Yeah, there was urine in there that *normally* would be transmitting disease. BUT! They added vinegar and now all is well. See how smart these guys were?
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 11-22-2003, 02:08 PM
GreekChat Member

"hazing"

"hazing" is supose to make you want it more, and not make the voyage to membership an easy path that anyone could make. but not anything like this, it shouldnt be anything that degrating or destructive. why would you want to be hateful and cruel to the people you are considering to call your brother.
Old 11-22-2003, 02:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
Urine is supposed to be pretty sterile. Some people recomend you drink urine for certain health problems.

Fecs on the other hand is not so sterile lol.
Old 11-22-2003, 02:46 PM
GreekChat Member

I dont understand how urine is considered to be sterile...........its' a waste product of the body. If left in the body as in if the kidneys are unable to filter it out of the blood and what not, you would die, plain and simple. It is also deadly to sperm. Thats why men secrete what is commonly referred to as "pre-cum" before actually ejaculating because it neutralizes any urine that may be left in the urethra that would kill the sperm.

sorry hijack the post

Quote:
Originally posted by James
Urine is supposed to be pretty sterile. Some people recomend you drink urine for certain health problems.

Old 11-22-2003, 03:23 PM
GreekChat Member

I also feel awful for all the other chapters of other GLOs at UVa. Not only is Delta Sig being put in a bad light, but this reflects poorly on all of the other chapters in the Greek system at UVa and beyond. A chapter should realize their actions are far-reaching in this kind of situation. What a sad day for the greek community.
Old 11-22-2003, 06:56 PM
Banned

Quote:

Actually you're wrong. Those people that recommend it are idiots and had their governments interfere to tell them they were being foolish. It is not sterile at all. It has a higher acidity however.

-Rudey
--And I know of one house at my alma mater which doused their pledges in urine.
Old 11-22-2003, 07:26 PM

Quote:

Urine is far from sterile. I watching on the Discovery channel (yes, I'm a dork) that if you're stranded somewhere without water it is better to go without any water than to drink you're urine. Feces happens to be the more sterile one. Either way, it's gross.
Old 01-24-2007, 07:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Basseq
For those who visit this page looking for information on the Alpha Mu chapter of Delta Sigma Phi at the University of Virginia, please note that while this unfortunate incident did happen, most public accounts are exaggerated. (I am currently a brother in good standing at this chapter, and have had extensive conversations with brothers and alumni who were pledges during this period.) I'm not trying to downplay the situation or the severity of hazing: things were still out of control.

Regardless, know that in 2003, all but eight brothers left the house, either voluntarily or through Nationals intervention (some brothers left while still in good standing and were not involved in the situation). The house has been rebuilt since then, and currently consists of a strong brotherhood of men who understand that hazing is not what one does to one's brothers. There are no active brothers who were in the fraternity at the time of these events.

In other words, it's a completely different house.

For more information, please visit Delta Sig at UVA.
Old 01-24-2007, 07:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Ok, that's great and all, but why on earth would you bump a negative thread about your chapter where the last post was over 3 years ago? I'd bet most forgot about it, now you're refreshing people's minds.
Old 01-24-2007, 07:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Basseq
Merely because this is the third or fourth result in a Google search for "UVA Delta Sig" and I'd rather address the issue than let it lie, unanswered, for potential brothers and/or their parents to find and misinterpret.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basseq View Post
Merely because this is the third or fourth result in a Google search for "UVA Delta Sig" and I'd rather address the issue than let it lie, unanswered, for potential brothers and/or their parents to find and misinterpret.
Perhaps they could question you rather than use a messageboard for information. Just a thought.

What is it with these new people and digging up old threads?

And Jesus speaketh, "do unto others as they did unto you because the bitches deserve it".

Old 01-24-2007, 11:08 PM
Super Moderator

His bump was certainly warranted in that regard.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Closed Thread