Welcome to our newest member, luvdovemrh
» Online Users: 1,642
1 members and 1,641 guests
luvdovemrh

Old 08-08-2006, 07:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Alumni & 5013C Status

Hi All,

I have deleted this posting regarding our upcoming book on Foundations and Greeks. Our assistant mistakenly made a typo in the title, but thank you SmartBlonde for pointing it out. It was posted on several boards because we truly wanted to give as many people as possible an opportunity to contribute to the book. As greeks ourselves for over 15 years, we are taken aback by the negative feedback on this posting. Thank you Heather for your thoughtful posting, but I must disagree, if anywhere this should be a place where others would want to learn more and contribute to helping others learn more about the proper set up and running of foundations.

Through other channels we have been able to secure all of the interviews we need, so thanks again to those who contributed.

T Garnes
Vice President, NMG

Last edited by razzledazzle91; 08-14-2006 at 12:48 PM.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:01 PM
GreekChat Member

How many of these are you planning on posting???

And it's 501(c)3 (not the way you have it titled).
Old 08-09-2006, 01:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyPenguin
California Lutheran doesn't have a law school.
LOL, you obviously read the post better than I did.
Old 08-13-2006, 05:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Response

I just saw all these posts and I will have my office remove this posting as it appears to be completely misunderstood and not applicable to those posting remarks.

1. Yes it's 501(c)(3). My office made a mistake. I have dedicated my professional life to helping small nonprofit organizations and have chaired a probono program specifically on 501(c)(3)s (so yes, I do know what it means). The materials are through the American Bar Association Tax Section and are free to the public - called the Tax Exempt Toolkit (google it, surprise it does exist).

Not sure why I got nasty comments about my assistant's typo, but hey people are cruel. In any event, I try and help charities and that is really what this is about.

2. Cal Lutheran does not have a law school. I taught Nonprofit Law to undergrads and in the Maters program. Yes, you can take Law classes outside of Law School.

3. 501(c)(3) foundations that are linked to 501(c)(7) organizations is the focus of the book and has been a source of confusion for some organizations (hence the point of the book).

I sincerely hope that this clarifies matters and we will be removing all postings.

Sincerely,

Shannon King Nash, Esq., CPA
Old 08-13-2006, 07:36 PM
GreekChat Member

As an international foundation officer and a past sorority officer, I would say that more information on this topic would be helpful to many organizations....but this is not the place to go about collecting the information you seek. Contact the inter/national HQs/foundation individually, and they may be willing to share info.