GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,153
Threads: 115,579
Welcome to our newest member, samthaswimmer
» Online Users: 1,548
0 members and 1,548 guests
No Members online

Old 08-04-2006, 08:03 AM
Super Moderator

you are right zillini-our chapter at u of illinois is closed.
Old 08-05-2006, 12:28 AM
GreekChat Member

At Orientation Night 2006, Thursday, Sept 7th the PNM's will receive a t-shirt and tote bag. In the tote bag will be their spiral bound Panhellenic notebook that has a page for each sorority along with addtional Panhellenic information. Some years the PNM's also get lip gloss, or pen/pencil, an extra blank little notebook.
The T-shirt is worn Friday and Saturday for the Open Houses. In the tote bag the PNM's usually carry gum, mints, water bottle, lipstick, brush, etc. It's a great bag for holding the high heels for pref night (or any other party) while walking in their flip flops.
The PNM's are encouraged to write in their notebook or Panhellenic book something about the houses. The first 2 day open house is exhausting. With 19 chapters, not only is that confusing, but the campus has 6 chapters that start with Alpha!
Over the past two years, enrollment has increased. 2004---a little over 1,200 PNM's and in 2005---a little over 1,400 PNM's were registered.
So, as with any campus, including the University of Illinois---get your resume and picture to those 19 chapters. Letters of recommendation are great too!
Old 08-05-2006, 03:00 PM
GreekChat Member

1400!!

Holy shit! That's alot of PNM's! How do you all keep it straight? How does Panhel keep it straight? Wow its amazing to see the Greek system there so strong in numbers. Do they use Release Figures to help the chapters? What's the normal NM class size? I don't even want to think what kind of budget you would be under.

The most I saw at syracuse was a little over 600pnm's, that UIUC figure just caught me by surprise.
Old 08-05-2006, 04:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Keeping everything going in recruitment at Illinois is a well orchestrated dance for the collegians and advisors. Just like it is at other campuses across the country. Just a VERY long two days of open houses. Plus, this is a challenging university academically and all this takes place in the 2nd and 3rd week of the new school year!
The new--now old, NPC release figures are and have been in use. Quota last year if I remember was 52 or 53.

Panhellenic Council is comprised of 24 chapters, 19 are NPC. Interfraternity Council has 46 chapters, Black Greek Council 8 fraternities and 4 sororities, United Greek Council 7 fraternities and 10 sororities. Total of 99 fraternities and sororites on campus with approximately 6,200 +/- campus members being members of a greek organization on campus.
Old 08-05-2006, 05:35 PM
GreekChat Member

When I rushed in 1987, we were told that it was the largest ever with 2000 rushees. (I think that number had to have been exaggerated.) We had more sororities then (ZTA, AZD, ASA, and DPE have since closed, but DZ has since re-colonized) and quota was mid-50s. I believe all but 5 chapters made quota that year. I think back then a lot more rushees dropped during rush, and also rush was the week before classes started. I can't imagine having it after classes have begun, considering how many chapters there are on campus.

My biggest complaint about rush/recruitment at UIUC is that there is too big of a cut from Open House to 1st invitational. When I went through we cut from 24 chapters down to 8. That was ridiculous. I think this year the cut is from 19 to 10? The really great thing about Greek life at UIUC is that we had a chapter of almost every NPC and IFC group, so it was a really well-rounded experience. It was also great that almost every chapter was really strong and historic and was usually an award-winning chapter for their GLO.
Old 08-05-2006, 09:02 PM
GreekChat Member

I remember being so physically worn out after 1st round visiting all those Chapters with the houses spread out all over campus. Plus my mind was a blur of sorority girls and door songs. (LOL! I still remember KKG's & Pi Phi's songs and it's been more than 20 years.) I had a terrible time trying to keep everyone straight. I can't imagine doing it during the school year.
Old 08-06-2006, 04:41 PM
GreekChat Member

And Zillini, for me, one of the hardest things was that our particular houses were right behind each other. Now, was that ADII or AOII?
Old 08-06-2006, 06:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes, you are correct.
19 chapters over 2 days for Open House (Friday and Saturday).
10 chapters on Sunday, 1st Invite.
5 chapters on Friday, 2nd Invite.
3 chapters on Saturday, Pref