GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,153
Threads: 115,579
Welcome to our newest member, samthaswimmer
» Online Users: 1,677
0 members and 1,677 guests
No Members online

Old 08-03-2006, 07:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JocelynC
On my campus, the sororities like to call their new members "baby turtles/fuzzies/hooties/etc". So our VP cut out these big construction paper violets that said "Look who's a baby violet!" with the new members' name written in purple glitter underneath it. Since the RA's don't let you put stuff on your doors, they had to put them on the wall underneath the room number.

Our PHC decided that calling new members "Baby Turtles/Hooties/Ladybugs/etc" was demeaning and therefore, hazing.
Old 08-03-2006, 07:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Whatever you do, make them sturdy. At several colleges where we toured the freshman dorms in April, the women had door signs still posted from their Bid Days in January or even September. The posterboard holds up much better than construction paper in terms of color retention and durability
Old 08-03-2006, 11:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jadis96 Send a message via Yahoo to jadis96
We did a combination of things... We would do posterboard signs each year which related to our theme for that year. For example one year we had a movie theme and each NM got a posterboard with "You're a new Sigma Star" on a dressing room type of star on their door. Every year we would do basic construction paper letters that every initate signs to welcome them and during the bid day activity (normally a picnic or dinner or something) a few of us would sneak out and put the letters of NM's doors so when they got home they already had a set of letters on their door.

I think in the long run something that is personalized and done with love is always great. I love the idea of putting a fresh flower on the sign, but does it stay up until the NM sees it?
Old 08-03-2006, 05:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to rosypanda28
We do door decks and each member is require to make a certain number of signs (but they are small) and if they live in the doors we find out there room numbers and decorate the doors for them! It's really fun and looks so cute! We get all sorts of creative sayings like "You picked the right one baby" with letters all around, "Home Sweet ______", "There's no place like _________,"
and all sorts of stuff! If they don't want to keep the door decks on the door, the girls normally take them off and hang them in their rooms! Hope that helps!
Old 08-03-2006, 05:25 PM
GreekChat Member

We use foam shaped into flowers & then used glitter pens to put their name on them!
Old 08-05-2006, 06:20 PM
GreekChat Member

another idea is to find wrapping paper that has a trendy pattern or something related to your sorority (teddy bears, etc). cut out posterboard letters and then spray glue the wrapping paper to them and trim.
Old 08-06-2006, 05:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
We always do a Hawaiian theme for our poster-boards (sort of tradition/symbol associated with my chapter)...I've become an expert at drawing hibiscus and siamese cats with hula skirts. I still have my door sign from my bid day...3 years later! And those girls must be QUICK man...there's only like an hour between bids going out and reception of NM's, NMs go back to their dorms and POOF! There's their door decorated with posters/streamers.
Old 08-06-2006, 02:05 PM
GreekChat Member

My last year at school we gave out Diamond boards to all our New members. They were painted blue with stars in the corners (like our pin) and had the letters on them.

I can't remember how we got the names of our Alphas on them? That year was such a blur and it's been awhile...

All of the active sisters also made one to make all their own. Mine was painted bright blue and had a design similar to our pin with my initiation year and name in small letters on it.