GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Entertainment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Entertainment TV, movies, music, books, sports, radio...

» GC Stats
Members: 326,186
Threads: 115,581
Welcome to our newest member, Candida
» Online Users: 1,589
1 members and 1,588 guests
No Members online

Old 06-27-2006, 10:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Gammons Suffers Brain Aneurysm

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=2502295

This is awful news; I hope he pulls through this ok. Gammons is the best baseball writer of the past half century, and maybe the best ever. He's also been an extremely nice guy on the few chances I've had to meet and speak with him (he worked out at my old gym, and just started working out at my new gym).
Old 06-27-2006, 10:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Who you calling "boy"? The name's Hand Banana . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSigkid
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=2502295

This is awful news; I hope he pulls through this ok. Gammons is the best baseball writer of the past half century, and maybe the best ever. He's also been an extremely nice guy on the few chances I've had to meet and speak with him (he worked out at my old gym, and just started working out at my new gym).
Seriously - best wishes PG.
Old 06-27-2006, 11:24 PM
GreekChat Member

I just read this on BDD.

Here's hoping all gets better.
Old 06-28-2006, 04:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSigkid
Gammons is the best baseball writer of the past half century, and maybe the best ever.
Best baseball writer of the past half century? Probably not even close but I hope he pulls through this okay.
Old 06-28-2006, 05:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Who you calling "boy"? The name's Hand Banana . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrillhouse
Best baseball writer of the past half century? Probably not even close . . .
Gotta say you're way off here, Scotty - his old columns for the Globe (which all came before we were born) are pretty much universally considered great, among the top ever if not the best. His current writing in the Globe is still excellent, if infrequent, and his trade-deadline work on ESPN makes paying for insider worth it. He makes Mitch Albom and Peter King look like Mike Lupica and Peter Pasquerelli.

If you're going only off his BBTN work, you're barely scratching the surface. Here's a great link for an example: Gammons Hall of Fame Speech
Old 06-28-2006, 06:17 PM
GreekChat Member

I always liked Gammons. I hope he does better.

I wonder if David Justice sent him a get well card?
Old 06-28-2006, 06:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSig RC
Gotta say you're way off here, Scotty - his old columns for the Globe (which all came before we were born) are pretty much universally considered great, among the top ever if not the best. His current writing in the Globe is still excellent, if infrequent, and his trade-deadline work on ESPN makes paying for insider worth it. He makes Mitch Albom and Peter King look like Mike Lupica and Peter Pasquerelli.

If you're going only off his BBTN work, you're barely scratching the surface. Here's a great link for an example: Gammons Hall of Fame Speech
Gammons trade deadline work is pretty ass. I know he gets used often by certain front offices but its no different then going to a message board and reading bs rumors from a fifteen year old kid at his computer.
His print work was good to great but I wouldn't say its any better or worse from other good writers.

The tv work now seems to be name recognition more than anything else.
I can't really put a finger on what or why but I seem to tune him (along with a few others) out when he is speaking.
Old 06-28-2006, 08:22 PM
GreekChat Member

So who would you say completely trumps Gammons in baseball writing......since you obviously think he is mediocre.

....allthough he has been praised for years and years and is already in the hall of fame.
Old 06-29-2006, 12:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macallan25
So who would you say completely trumps Gammons in baseball writing......since you obviously think he is mediocre.

....allthough he has been praised for years and years and is already in the hall of fame.
I said it already, his quality of writing is good.... not great. I can't put a finger on why I don't like him as a journalist, I just don't. The red sox homerism, trade rumors preached as the truth because of "name value", and reports that are "mailed in" due to name recogintion. It seems as if he is put out there by ESPN to speak the truth like Moses speaking the ten commandments. "When Gammons speaks, you will listen and take as the truth because he has credibiltiy....."

Great writer in the past? Yeah, absolutely but the television era has put the "media" out there more and he hasn't been good for awhile now.

Yeah, I might be one of the few that don't care for his style, oh well.

Last edited by Thrillhouse; 06-29-2006 at 12:09 AM.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrillhouse
Best baseball writer of the past half century? Probably not even close but I hope he pulls through this okay.
I don't know dude - I know there are those out there who don't like him, and writing can be a very subjective thing. He did pioneer the "notes" style of column with his first ones in the Globe, and his he's still the first writer people (and other journalists) turn to for the big baseball news.

His reporting ability is out of control - the guy still spends long nights talking to GMs, players, and others connected with the game when there is a big story. I've heard stories from other sportswriters of the work he still puts in to get scoops for ESPN. A few of my journalism professors even used him as an example in non-sports related classes.

Even more than that, he inspired the current generation of baseball writers. If you read most of the comments from others in the industry, the vast majority credit Gammons with inspiring their careers. That's guys like Jayson Stark, Tim Kurkjian, and other big-time journalists.

Again, I realize journalism is subjective, and you're definitely entitled to your opinion.