Threads: 115,583
Welcome to our newest member, LynchMob66
» Online Users: 1,354
0 members and 1,354 guests
No Members online

Old 05-01-2006, 04:28 PM
GreekChat Member

"w-tv"

Politicians such as the President are quick to point fingers at "the media" and claim bias, but when they need communications help, who do you suppose they turn to?

President Bush's new Press Secretary is Tony Snow -- formerly of FOX News.

Karen Hughes, the originator of the phrase "Compassionate Conservatism" was a reporter for NBC affiliate KXAS-TV in Ft. Worth.

The new Asst. Secretary of Defense for public affairs, J. Dorrance Smith was executive producer of Nightline and This Week With David Brinkley on ABC.

A former Good Morning America producer, Scott Sforza choreographed Bush's aircraft carrier landing among other stunts. He also helped design the Central Command media set in Qatar.

Former NBC News cameraman Bob DeServi and ex-FOX News producer Greg Jenkins are other broadcast veterans have also been on the team.

Patrick Rhode, chief of staff for former FEMA boss Michael Brown was a news anchor in Arkansas and Alabama.

--The above information from Broadcasting and Cable Magazine, 5/1/06
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 05-01-2006, 04:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: "w-tv"

Quote:
Originally posted by DeltAlum
President Bush's new Press Secretary is Tony Snow -- formerly of FOX News.

Just to clarify, Snow was also a frequent critic of the President, a fact both men acknowledged when he was introduced. People who know nothing about Snow are quick to assume that Snow was a friendly journalist to the administration, when it's actually just the opposite.
Old 05-01-2006, 04:33 PM
Banned

It would be wise to refer to studies of bias in the media as opposed to information from the Broadcasting and Cable Magazine.

-Rudey
--Sadly those studies show the bias is there
Old 05-01-2006, 05:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: "w-tv"

Quote:
Originally posted by KSigkid
Just to clarify, Snow was also a frequent critic of the President, a fact both men acknowledged when he was introduced. People who know nothing about Snow are quick to assume that Snow was a friendly journalist to the administration, when it's actually just the opposite.
That's true, which in my mind, makes it even more interesting that he would be chosen.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 05-01-2006, 05:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rudey
It would be wise to refer to studies of bias in the media as opposed to information from the Broadcasting and Cable Magazine.
If you want to look up studies, go ahead. I doubt that the President did when making his choices, so I'm not sure the studies are important in this case.

Maybe it's a case of feeding the hand that bites you. Allegedly.
Old 05-01-2006, 05:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by DeltAlum
If you want to look up studies, go ahead. I doubt that the President did when making his choices, so I'm not sure the studies are important in this case.

Maybe it's a case of feeding the hand that bites you. Allegedly.
Whether or not a president picks someone from the media does not make them biased or non-biased. That's a separate issue.

And the studies are out there. It's biased. We understand you're a part of the media, and some of us think you're biased as well. It's OK because nobody is saying journalists should die and I think you're taking this too personally. If any profession is hated, it's lawyers. I have yet to meet a person that liked them.

-Rudey
Old 05-01-2006, 05:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey...

Both of my Brothers-in-law are highly accomplished attorneys and I get along very well with them.

We're all biased about something.

The point is that the President (and others before him) complain about the media (whether the term bias is used or not), but then turn around and hire them for their professional knowledge and skill.
Old 05-02-2006, 01:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Suppose I say, "Most fraternity and sorority members like wearing T-shirts with their letters on them."

Then you do a study, and find out that 90% of Greeks like wearing T-shirts with their letters on them, is it accurate to point at the other 10% and say, "See, Greeks don't really like wearing T-shirts with their letters on them" ???

I'm just sayin', if you look hard enough you can find a few exceptions to almost any general rule or trend. That doesn't make the basic statement inaccurate.

Generally, Greeks like wearing the frickin' T-shirts.
Old 05-02-2006, 08:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by G8Ralphaxi
Suppose I say, "Most fraternity and sorority members like wearing T-shirts with their letters on them."

Then you do a study, and find out that 90% of Greeks like wearing T-shirts with their letters on them, is it accurate to point at the other 10% and say, "See, Greeks don't really like wearing T-shirts with their letters on them" ???

I'm just sayin', if you look hard enough you can find a few exceptions to almost any general rule or trend. That doesn't make the basic statement inaccurate.

Generally, Greeks like wearing the frickin' T-shirts.
I love those shirts. My favorite was the one with black letters on red background with black shirt. The nickname on the back says *blaze*