Welcome to our newest member, craig171
» Online Users: 1,065
0 members and 1,065 guests
No Members online

Old 08-29-2005, 12:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Hurricane Katrina

Ole Miss Glitter (Katherine)-
I hope you all are OK in the wake of Katrina. I have been watching the coverage all day, and I hope that everyone is safe. I don't know how far Ole Miss is located from the coast, and I know you said your family is from New Orleans. Ironically, Katrina hit south Florida dead on in the place that I lived up until 2 weeks ago(Hallandale Beach). I was very lucky to have missed this one. I have been through these storms myself and my prayers go out to your and your family.
Old 08-29-2005, 09:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Thank you so much! My parents and sister and family cat are with me in Oxford all safe. Oxford is about 324 miles northeast of the MS Gulf Coast and so we should just get some bad rain and high winds of about 35 mph tonight. The storm should be in Jackson, MS around noon today. We are pretty sure my parent's house is without electricity because we called there this morning before I came to work and the phone just rang and rang, the answering machine never picked up. My parents actually live in Pass Christian, MS which is east of New Orleans. They moved there about 2 years ago from NOLA and they built their "dream" house. Fun times. Anyway, my Nana in New Orleans did not want to leave so she is with some friends in her neighborhood in Old Metairie. They might get some flooding but they are on the old bayou ridge so they are higher up and her townhouse is 3 stories so they are going to keep on moving up if flooding should occur. Other than that hopefully everything will be okay.

Thanks for asking
Old 08-29-2005, 01:40 PM
GreekChat Member

HUGS!!!! Be safe, everyone!!!
Old 08-31-2005, 12:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Some bad news. My parents house is gone in Pass Christian. My parents have filed the insurance claim. We are safe and so is everyone in my family so that's all that matters. For now they will stay with me in Oxford, MS until they can go back to see where the house use to be. We have lots of support from friends around the country and of course, my lovely AOII sisters, so I know we can get through this.
This was posted today by Katherine (Ole Miss Glitter). Her parents' town was one that was cited by Governor Barbour as one that was totally destroyed. Please let's all pray for them. Thank God they were in Oxford when Katrina hit.
Old 08-31-2005, 03:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you everyone. I'm truly blessed to have such wonderful friends/sisters like you all.

Just so you know, AOII Foundation has set up a special designation through the Ruby Fund and it is called Katrina. If you are interested in donating, I think it would be highly appreciated. I know we probably have about 500 or more sisters (alumnae/collegians) in the New Orleans area, Gulf Coast area, and AL Coast areas that were hit hard. Some of my collegiate members lost everything as well who lives in NOLA or the MS Gulf Coast. We are working with them to get them everything they need up here and of course we are not recommending that they leave to go and pick up the pieces until they are allowed to go back down there. Ole Miss has issued a statement that any students who need to leave be/c of Katrina they can but they have to tell the Dean of Students first.
Old 08-31-2005, 05:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Glitter, My heart and prayers go out to you and everyone else that has been affected by this.

I am so thankful that I am not trapped there. We (hubby, my mom, and myself) were in NOLA over the weekend and scheduled to fly back at 5:58 on Sunday night. Needless to say our flight was cancelled and we were not able to get a rental car. We left for the airport at 7:30am Sunday morning and got there at 9:00 to get on stand-by. We had to make the decision of who would go and who would stay if we could not all get out (we decided all or nothing). AirTran ended up with 2 last flights out that left about 2:00 and we all 3 luckily got on the same flight.

I do want to put in a good word for AirTran because they made the best out of a horrible situation. I can truthfully say there was no one at our gate that was unhappy with the way we were treated, or that felt the airline was not doing everything in their power to get us all out of the New Orleans airport alive.
Old 08-31-2005, 06:10 PM

Brandi, so thankful you are safe.

K, THANK YOU for the Foundation info. My heart goes out to your family and all those affected by this nightmare named Katrina.
Old 08-31-2005, 08:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Glitter,
Did your grandmother's home survive or is it underwater?
Silver
Old 09-01-2005, 10:27 AM
GreekChat Member

My grandmother left with some family friends and was in Baton Rouge and now she has made it to Mandeville. Her house is most likely flooded a little bit. She lives on an old bayou ridge area so it is much higher than other areas. It is a 3 story townhouse so I'm sure the first floor is ruined. She is actually having trouble right now and she just doesn't want to go back to see it. So we are working with other family members to bring her up here or to my aunt & uncle's second house in NC or to my aunt's house in CO. She is 78 and this is just so much for her.

Thanks everyone for your kind words and remembering my family during this tough time.
Old 09-01-2005, 03:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Anyone hear from aoiirose and if she's had the baby yet? I know she's been affected, too.
Old 09-01-2005, 04:21 PM

Edited

rose is all right as of 8/30!!! She sent an email and it's posted on the Louisiana alumnae section of the private site boards. Check out the message boards for updates and if anyone actually talks with Tania PLEASE let us know here on GC. Thanks ladies.

PS--check the front page of the AOII website for info on the message boards and how to donate to the Ruby Fund for Disaster Relief. If you can afford to donate, please consider doing so.

Roses to you all--and please stay safe!
Christin

Last edited by AOIIalum; 09-01-2005 at 04:34 PM.
Old 09-01-2005, 04:40 PM
GreekChat Member

For whatever reason I cannot get into that "new" message board. I've gone onto every link.
Old 09-01-2005, 05:04 PM

Call me, I'm home and will read it all to you if you want.
Old 09-01-2005, 07:58 PM
Banned

I know this is a little round about, but I am having a Longaberger Open House the weekend of Sept 17-18. I will be donating 20% of the total sales to the AOII Foundation (for AOIIs) and the Red Cross (for non-AOIIs). If anyone is interested in doing a little Christmas shopping as well as helping out, please feel free to call, e-mail, check out my website, etc.

Everyone is in my thoughts and prayers.

Sarah

My Longaberger Site