GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,151
Threads: 115,578
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,456
1 members and 1,455 guests
shadokat

Old 08-01-2005, 11:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to kayla0deegee
Just a little update....still a little confused and I'm still pretty for sure our PH advisor has no clue what she is doing. BUT I did figure this out...each week we have two parties. First week is an info day, then a philanthropy day. Second week is a skit day and then pref day.
But they still have not made it clear how the girls will be split up. THey are still saying they will be split up into two groups. Also they have decided that the girls going through are not required to go any parties....even the first day. I think that idea is so silly. There will be several chapters that are going to be hurt severely from this process, or at least i think they will. Not trying to be rude or cocky but I'm glad that my chapter has a good reputation on campus. I mean we went from having a very structured and strict recruitment to having no restrictions what so ever. Not to mention there are a couple chapters that are known for well im not even going to sugar coat it...dirty rushing....
This process kinda worries me...not even gonna lie.
Does anyone else go by this process?
Old 08-01-2005, 12:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
You seriously need to get your chapter's Recruitment Advisor and possibly your national NPC Delegate involved. What you describe is a complete mess and only people directly invovled can help you. Good luck.
Old 08-01-2005, 01:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Absolutely contact (or have the appropriate officer from your chapter contact) DG's NPC delegate and your campus's NPC College Panhel Adviser. (Contact info can be found here.)

In contacting them, you don't have to take the approach that your Panhel adviser is clueless. No need at this point to be accusatory (it might do more harm than good), but plead confusion and ask assistance. Your adviser might be feeling helpless, too.

Good luck and keep us posted!
Old 08-01-2005, 01:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
Oww, I think my head is going to explode...

Although almost every year my sorority has more PNM's at our parties than we do active members..usually exponentialy more PNMs. I'm not quite sure how this works in the NPC world, but our alumn help us out with talking to girls and organizing the different stuff they do at parties. And while they have no voting rights, they can say, "Oh Pam PNM was very nice, animated, and is very involved on campus, did anyone else interact with her or know her?". It can be a big help to let your alumn spot new girls too. Especially if you have 45 sisters, assuming that everyone is there, healthy, and working...you may need to call in reinforcements! (just thinking of the Delta Nu's in Legally Blonde 2, hehe).
Old 08-10-2005, 12:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Kaguya Send a message via Yahoo to Kaguya
Quote:
Originally posted by PenguinTrax
I don't see how lengthening the recruitment period will increase quota. If PHC is trying to get more girls into the system, they need to do work up front to increase registration.

As far as splitting the PNMs into two large groups - that's just not a feasible way to go. Too many PNMs will be left hanging around during parties, with noone to talk to but themselves. The number of PNM groups should be equal to the number of groups on campus - it makes it easier to schedule the events and makes the PNM groups more manageable.

If I were you, I would contact your Panhellenic representative and voice your concerns. She will advocate for you.
I agree. At my school, rush is pretty small, with each sorority having a cap of fifty girls, and it's really easy to be overwhelmed by sheer numbers. Maybe, if there are that many girls you might want to try dividing the girls a set of groups that's double the amount of chapters you have, that way each group can adequately manage the PNMs without too much trouble.

Good luck!
Old 08-13-2005, 11:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PhoenixAzul
Oww, I think my head is going to explode...

Although almost every year my sorority has more PNM's at our parties than we do active members..usually exponentialy more PNMs. I'm not quite sure how this works in the NPC world, but our alumn help us out with talking to girls and organizing the different stuff they do at parties. And while they have no voting rights, they can say, "Oh Pam PNM was very nice, animated, and is very involved on campus, did anyone else interact with her or know her?". It can be a big help to let your alumn spot new girls too. Especially if you have 45 sisters, assuming that everyone is there, healthy, and working...you may need to call in reinforcements! (just thinking of the Delta Nu's in Legally Blonde 2, hehe).

Alums in Gamma Phi Beta cannot help out with rush except behind the scenes...we can be seen but not heard at rush events - last year myself and another alum attended all the pref parties at UGA and waved goodbye as they all left but we cannot talk to the rushees at all...I am not sure, but I think this may be the case with other sororities as well?
Old 08-14-2005, 12:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GPhiBLtColonel
Alums in Gamma Phi Beta cannot help out with rush except behind the scenes...we can be seen but not heard at rush events - last year myself and another alum attended all the pref parties at UGA and waved goodbye as they all left but we cannot talk to the rushees at all...I am not sure, but I think this may be the case with other sororities as well?
Same for Sigma as well.

Lakers Nation.
Old 08-14-2005, 12:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kayla0deegee
Just a little update....still a little confused and I'm still pretty for sure our PH advisor has no clue what she is doing. BUT I did figure this out...each week we have two parties. First week is an info day, then a philanthropy day. Second week is a skit day and then pref day.
But they still have not made it clear how the girls will be split up. THey are still saying they will be split up into two groups. Also they have decided that the girls going through are not required to go any parties....even the first day. I think that idea is so silly. There will be several chapters that are going to be hurt severely from this process, or at least i think they will. Not trying to be rude or cocky but I'm glad that my chapter has a good reputation on campus. I mean we went from having a very structured and strict recruitment to having no restrictions what so ever. Not to mention there are a couple chapters that are known for well im not even going to sugar coat it...dirty rushing....
This process kinda worries me...not even gonna lie.
Does anyone else go by this process?
Okay I don't normally look at these threads, and then lo and behold 33girl mentions something about us!

To me it sounds like you are doing partially structured recruitment. NPC has a definition but to me it seemed fairly loose. Basically, what I am getting is that women will be split into two groups - we did this too, they were split with the first half of the alphabet and the second. Sororities had parties at different times, but we had at the time 12 sororities so some parties overlapped but the first half of PNM's with last names A-M would be able to go to 6 sororities one day and the other 6 the next, ie DPhiE, AEPhi, KD, KKG, TPA, and DZ would have A-M tuesday and then N-Z on wednesday. PNM's weren't required to attend all or any parties (but obviously you aren't going to get a bid if no one knows you).

Obviously houses that normally have very good retention rates during fully structured recruitment will attract more PNM's and there is a possibility of having quite a lot of PNM's at your parties. For a chapter that maybe isn't as well known or visible you really have to get out there and be SEEN and HEARD, prior to recruitment.

Recruitment Counselor's were used but they basically were there to answer women's questions and keep them informed, not so much assist them with schedules. In this case it would be prudent for them to remind women that each house only has so many spots available and to visit as many sororities as possible - not to discourage them but to be fair - and even that doesn't always work.

Once we got to preference that is when we basically "cut women". It was an invitation only event and this is where you invite only women who could potentially get a bid.

Some drawbacks/and advantages to this: chapters CAN have a lot of women return to their parties, but the other end of the spectrum applies as well - there's nothing worse than only getting 30 some women and not being close to ceiling and then the chapter next door has 70 plus women and only able to take quota. On the other end, women are free to choose where they go, so people who are only seriously willing to take a look at your sorority or who are ONLY interested in one sorority don't have to go through all the rigamarole to see them. And in our instance some houses got HUGE while others shrunk.

IMO, and I'm not sure how kddani feels about it - it was NOT the system for our campus, we also tried having an open house (basically 12 rounds) for the first night and having all PNM's go to it, but it didn't help much. While they were struggling before, we definitely lost a sorority under this system. HOWEVER, I can say that every campus is different so you might want to give it a shot and see if it works - especially if your campus has been losing PNM's.

Cosign on what others said - your campus definitely should not be switching styles of recruitment without the recommendation from your NPC area advisor and a vote by the panhellenic. The other women on here were correct in pointing you to your National Panhellenic Delegate!

One last thing - dirty rushing is going to happen if it happened before - it won't be any worse or better!
Old 08-14-2005, 01:58 PM
GreekChat Member

I know at my school if we kept people for two weeks, and only had two events per week (which seems to be what you're describing) we'd lose people.
Increasing quota has to do with 1 getting more people out to recruitment, and 2 making those that go through stay with the process untiol bid day (retention) I don't see how this new system you're going to use is going to do that. Especially if there is soo many PMNs for fairly smallish chapters. I also don't understand how they don't HAVE to go to the parties, fi this is the case then you're doing a partailly structured as others have mentioned, and you don't really need "PMN Groups" per se.
It seems to me you need more information because you need to know how to prepare your chapter, and its' not fair that they're making these changes and not letting you in on the decision making about it and explaining the changes properly.