Threads: 115,589
Welcome to our newest member, lopezsae
» Online Users: 1,211
0 members and 1,211 guests
No Members online

Old 08-02-2005, 11:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Online Class Survival

In this thread we share tips on how to excel in online courses.

I took two as an undergrad and I'm taking one this fall. The material itself in those classes were'nt so difficult, but keeping up was! They require mucho self discipline.

^^^

Can't you tell I'm a procrastinator?

Last edited by Dionysus; 08-02-2005 at 12:16 PM.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Great topic!

As to online courses...before class starts contact the prof to get a copy of the syllabus. You don't want to end up in a class that's going to be really complex or work with a professor who seems hard to understand. The syllabus will be a really good way to see what you should or shouldn't take on-line.

From experience, classes that you know tend to be a bit easier are probably the better ones to take online. Save the harder ones for in-person classes.

Last edited by anaballerina; 08-02-2005 at 12:57 PM.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to BirthaBlue4
Well, for me, I LOVE them, because I don't have to leave the house, and I can work at my own pace.

But you HAVE to have self discipline in order to do it. I've seen people fail for no reason, all because they didn't follow directions or have self-discipline. And don't be afraid to email a question to the professor. You're not there in person, so its better to ask then look stupid later.

And if you can, get contact info for others taking the course. You all can help each other.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:28 PM
GreekChat Member

The last few online classes I've had weren't self paced: an assignment was due each week otherwise you were penalized. This was different from the last few classes I took online in my 4 year college. The earth science class was self paced and you could turn in a semester's worth of work in a week if you wanted to.

I'm wondering if teachers are catching on to the trend that some students wait until the last minute to do all this stuff. And I could understand. The classes I took were Microsoft Office courses to refresh. I could see how grading 50 million Excel documents can make anyone go nuts.

But online classes are good for stuff like this. Especially if they are pre-recs, program review classes or just GE that you don't want to sit through... or if you don't want to go to school every day or have time except for 6 am in the morning.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:36 PM
GreekChat Member

I taught an online course, and my best advice from the teacher's point of view is to not let questions or confusion keep you from moving forward. Ask for help immediately. It is so easy to get behind in online courses. I had a number of students fail because they hoped that their problems (several were simply technical difficulties) would "clear up." Ask the teacher or moderator for clarification as soon as a problem arises!! Communicate with your "classmates," but don't take their word as law.

LM

Be a Volunteer!