Welcome to our newest member, LynchMob66
» Online Users: 1,259
0 members and 1,259 guests
No Members online

Old 11-13-2004, 03:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Alumni Involvement through cool activities

Hello Fellow Alum
I am trying to come up with new ideas for the Alums in the area, anyone have really cool ideas for activites/get togethers??
Thanks for your help!
Old 11-13-2004, 05:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Are there any cool museums in your area? There's a pearls exhibit in Toronto right now, and next Friday, alumnae from several sororities are going to go.
Old 11-13-2004, 05:21 PM
Unregistered-

The Hawaii Junior Circle just had a Wine Bottling Party last weekend at the Diamond Head Winery. I couldn't go, but I hear those in attendance had a great time!
Old 11-14-2004, 06:21 PM
GreekChat Member

We've had several different functions including:

Wine Tasting (favorite annual event!)
Karaoke Bar
Museum visits
Aquarium visits
Semi-formal dinner for Holiday season
Brunches

Almost all of them are well-attended...
Old 11-14-2004, 06:56 PM
GreekChat Member

We have a dinner every month and it's pretty well-attended. We have a brunch planned for next Sunday which should be fun too, and a great way to see our lovely ladies who have difficulty making it out during the week. One of my sister's who has a house (rare for NYC) has us over once in awhile for a potluck or some kind of theme party (last was Halloween that I unfortunately couldn't attend). We did the Making Strides Breast Cancer Walk in Central Park last month, and even though only 4 of us attended, we had a blast, and also met up with the Alpha Chapter of DPhiE from NYU. Most sisters in my AA have commented that they enjoy the monthly dinners, given there is enough notice, and we choose places that are generally affordable for everyone. We also are in contact with other GLO's to stay involved with their events. The Alpha Xi Delta AA is having a networking event this Tuesday that is also a fundraiser that looks like it will be lots of fun. We also try to plan lots of informal things too, that may not necessarily be a "DPhiE" event, but, are still a good way to get people out.
Old 11-14-2004, 09:38 PM
GreekChat Member

We have Happy Hour once a month. The wonderful person that puts them together just sends out evites. We usually have about 10 or so people come. Some are in Alum Groups, some aren't but it's a good recruiting tool to bring in younger alums in your area!
Old 11-14-2004, 11:01 PM
GreekChat Member

We have some meetings that have become tradition and others that we change each year... this is what our schedule looks like:

September: Alpha Gam Always.. we have an ice cream sundae social with everybody bringing a favorite topping! We bring photos from summer vacations, etc. to share and just talk, talk, talk.

October: Philanthropy... This varies. This year, we had reps from Cookie Lee Jewelry, Discovery Toys, Mary Kay cosmetics and Tastefully simple .. something for everybody! All the reps agreed to donate their profits to our Foundation.

November: Dinner/dessert.. we pick a different restaurant each year. This year was dinner at a fairly nice restaurant. We sometimes do dessert at one of the most exclusive restaurants in Detroit.

December (my fave!): Ornament exchange.. everybody brings a Christmas ornament, usually with an AGD theme for an exchange. We bring a dessert to pass.

January: Chic Flick night: We vote on a chick movie to watch.. not much else that people want to do in Michigan in January!

Feb: Usually some kind of outing. We've done self defense classes, CPR classes, Paint your own pottery, decorating cookies with seniors at a nursing home... it varies every year

March: This year we're trying a new one for March... we're having a Master Gardener come to answer our gardening questions. This was traditionally games night, where we brought different board games or learned Bunko.

April: Our version of Founder's Day is in April so that is our focus t hat month.

May: Picnic/barbecue (yay! It's finally nice outside!)

Dee
Old 11-19-2004, 12:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Dee - thats an awesome list. You guys have some great activities.
Old 12-15-2004, 05:54 PM
GreekChat Member

We have alumni/undergrad group clean up day where we focus mostly on landscaping. Its very successful.
Old 02-11-2005, 08:54 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm planning an event for my chapter!!!

April, as you may or may not know, contains Earth Day!!!! So I just ran the idea past my pres and vp to celebrate Earth Day with my chapter.

Basically, I'm going to run the event, do a little presentation about watershed and non-point source pollutants, then we are going to do storm drain markings! Most people don't know that storm drains (also mis-named sewers) drain directly into the nearest stream/river/ocean/lake whatever body of water is closest. In NJ, there are new laws that make labeling storm drains neccessary, so cities love when groups volunteer to mark drains.So, I'm arraing for a storm drain marking too!!

I'm sooo excited about all this!! Yay!
Old 05-27-2005, 08:09 AM
Banned

How about a "self defense" workshop? You might get a local judo or karate school to give an introductory lesson.
Old 05-27-2005, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator

self defense is good-in addition to a local instructor from a martial arts school, the local police might have an instructor,

other ideas:

tai chi session

yoga session

financial planning

broadway (touring co. for us) or local dramatic or musical production

travel agent

high tea

making care packages for our troops, or a collegiate chapter of your sorority(or both!)
Old 06-21-2005, 03:18 PM
GreekChat Member

We've done some fun things this year (if I dont' say so myself)

Sisters Nite Out
Each month on a rotating day and a different resturant each month we have drinks and dinner

Third Thirsty Thursday
We have a designated bar that we go to for happy hour each month.

Wine Tasting

Holiday Cookie Exchange

Education Meeting - our philanthropy or other women's centered program

Mixer with the collegiates

Card Night