Members: 326,159
Threads: 115,583
Welcome to our newest member, LynchMob66
» Online Users: 1,448
0 members and 1,448 guests
No Members online

Old 05-18-2005, 10:11 AM
GreekChat Member

What is the Definition of Alumni verses Inactive?

How do you distinguish alumni from inactives?

Do members need to apply to the alumni society (at the chapter level) or is their admission automatic?

What status is given to those who do not graduate?

I am not so much interested in the answers to these questions in terms of the fraternity as a whole, but rather as it involves the local chapter.
Old 05-18-2005, 11:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Phi Sigma Sigma calls it "chapter status" (for people who aren't going to have the time because they are seniors, taking lots of classes etc) or "Limited Stats" (for people who are abroad, or leaving school for just a semester) Members on a status still pay partial dues and remain on the roster. Alumni members get alum status atutomatically when they graduate, or transfer to a school with no chapter.

Last edited by Glitter650; 05-18-2005 at 11:54 PM.
Old 05-18-2005, 09:35 PM
Unregistered-

Our chapter follows the policies regarding inactive status and alumnae status as set forth by the Fraternity.

Change in membership status (as it's officially called) is initiated by the chapter and the paperwork is done by Executive Council. Once a member informs us when she expects to graduate, she's getting married/is pregnant, transferring to a campus with no chapter, withdrawing from school completely, or if she wishes to take alumna status early because she's a 5th year student...our EC does the paperwork necessary to take her off the roster.

Inactive status is only granted to those who are temporarily unable to attend meetings and functions (study abroad, LofA from school, or other circumstances) as long as they have the full intention of returning. They still pay dues, but it is at a reduced rate from the regular dues.

I *THINK* this is an NPC rule, but in AGD, we don't refer to our collegiate members as "actives". They are simply "collegians". I think that term replaced "undergrads" a few years ago.

Members who are not in good standing are still considered collegians, but they are indicated as "not in good standing" on the roster. This can lead to membership suspension, but I know AGD's terminology has since changed as it's been a while since I last served as an EC advisor.

Finally, once you become an alum -- you are not permitted to revert back to collegian status.