GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,155
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, luvdovemrh
» Online Users: 1,369
2 members and 1,367 guests
amIblue?, luvdovemrh

Old 01-18-2001, 03:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to IotaNet
Thumbs up BGLO Founder's Day Love!

What wonder is this?

What is it about the cold winter months that makes us feel renewed enough to create history? What is it about the bleakest days that makes us reach the noblest heights? How is it that when the elements chill our bodies that Heaven sends that which warms our souls? Whatever that thing may be is something that we must honor, cherish, and celebrate because the days between December 4 and January 16 are truly are truly a time for rejoicing!

I would like to send my personal best wishes and profound thanks to the members of Alpha Phi Alpha (December 4, 1906), Alpha Kappa Alpha (January 15, 1908), Kappa Alpha Psi (January 5, 1911), Phi Beta Sigma (January 9, 1914), Delta Sigma Theta (January, 13, 1913), and Zeta Phi Beta (January 16, 1920) during this, the season of your founding!

The world of Black Greekdom owes each of you a profound debt for your continued great works and tireless leadership. From this Iota Man to all of you, please know that "I am because you are." May the Lord continue to bless, touch, and keep you one and all!

------------------
IotaNet
Iota Phi Theta Fraternity, Inc.
Alpha Eta Chapter, Spring, 1980

Kappa Kappa Psi Honorary Band Fraternity
Zeta Nu Chapter, Spring, 1979
Old 01-18-2001, 04:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

Thanks!

But you know, I was speaking to another Greekchat Soror about this, why is it that SOME want BGLO AND GLO to "unite" and such, but I think I can count on ONE (I know not on both) hand how many GLO members posted to wish the BGLOs "Happy Founder's Day".

Isn't that something....

That was just my OBSERVATION!
Old 01-18-2001, 05:53 PM
GreekChat Member

I second that Iota Net! (I'm on a few different chat boards and its hard tryna remember who I gave congrats to and who I didnt!) So happy founders day to you all! We as Black Greeks have done so much for our communities this past century and I know there will be great work done by us in the future!

To AKA2D91, I noticed that too! I really think that there is only a small percentage of us who are REALLY gungho on the whole idea of a "melting pot" or "no color lines", but the majority of us recognize our differences and realize that ITS OK! We ARE different.... we operate differently, our target communities are different...-AND THAT'S OK!

------------------

[This message has been edited by prettypoodle6 (edited January 18, 2001).]
Old 01-18-2001, 06:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to equeen
Best wishes to the Divine Nine on their respective Founders' Days. IotaNet, as always, I like reading your eloquent words.

If anyone's on the OU campus tonight, there's a speaker who will talk about the history of NPHC organizations. It will be held in Dale Hall 211, at 7PM. See you there!

------------------
Always
Seek
Knowledge

Alpha Sigma Kappa - Women in Technical Studies
Old 01-18-2001, 08:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you IotaNet for your warm wishes to all us greeks celebrating foundings in January.

------------------
KAPPA ALPHA PSI FRATERNITY, INC.
SPR 97
XI LAMBDA
Old 01-18-2001, 11:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AKA2D '91:
Thanks!

But you know, I was speaking to another Greekchat Soror about this, why is it that SOME want BGLO AND GLO to "unite" and such, but I think I can count on ONE (I know not on both) hand how many GLO members posted to wish the BGLOs "Happy Founder's Day".

Isn't that something....

That was just my OBSERVATION!
ok, so i'm sitting here bored and guess what? i went back and counted the wishes for this month because i did not want to believe that some of the people hollering about UNITY and complaining about making a distinction among organizations based on race/ethnic origin on this board had made such an oversight. i found SIX known members of non-NPHC organizations who sent happy founders' day wishes, only 4 sent wishes to more than one organization.

i also noticed something else which didn't suprise me. a topic asking if npc and nphc sororities did anything together had a whopping 4 replies. i agree with prettypoodle, we recognize the differences, we (hopefully) respect them and THAT'S OK (why do i feel like stuart smalley all of a sudden). but regardless, if we can participate in the "which organizations are best on your campus" and the "rush advice" posts, they can certainly take the time to recognize our foundings. it's not like the posts were off in our respective forums, they're on the greek life board for all to see when the first get to the site.

**packing up my soapbox and going home**

[This message has been edited by 12dn94dst (edited January 18, 2001).]
Old 01-18-2001, 11:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 12dn94dst:
ok, so i'm sitting here bored and guess what? i went back and counted the wishes for this month because i did not want to believe that some of the people hollering about UNITY and complaining about making a distinction among organizations based on race/ethnic origin on this board had made such an oversight. i found SIX known members of non-NPHC organizations who sent happy founders' day wishes, only 4 sent wishes to more than one organization.

i also noticed something else which didn't suprise me. a topic asking if npc and nphc sororities did anything together had a whopping 4 replies. i agree with prettypoodle, we recognize the differences, we (hopefully) respect them and THAT'S OK (why do i feel like stuart smalley all of a sudden). but regardless, if we can participate in the "which organizations are best on your campus" and the "rush advice" posts, they can certainly take the time to recognize our foundings. it's not like the posts were off in our respective forums, they're on the greek life board for all to see when the first get to the site.

**packing up my soapbox and going home**

[This message has been edited by 12dn94dst (edited January 18, 2001).]
12dn94dst:

I'll say this and you CAN GO HOME

Many NON-BGLO members do come in our forums and post on topics being discussed, so that too IS NOT AN EXCUSE!

Aight, you may leave....
Old 01-18-2001, 11:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation

Okay...in response to this "NPC/NIC members don't wish NPHC groups 'Happy Founders' Day" thread: when I posted, congratulating the men on KAPsi for 90 years of Greekdom, I received multiple emails informing me that, as a member of a non-NPHC group, I had no right to congratulate NPHC groups. I wasn't sure how accurate this was, since I'm new to some of the protocol of NPHC groups. I congratulated my friends and relatives in NPHC groups, however.

With that out of the way, congratulations to ALL existing groups for all your accomplishments.
Old 01-19-2001, 02:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking

I second the kind and eloquent words of my frat Brother. God bless all the member organizations of the NPHC and all Greeks.

------------------
Suntzu 1963
Member of Iota Phi Theta Fraternity, Inc.
4-FALL-99
UVA Colony
OW OW
LIPTTDID
W.W.N.O.R.T.

http://www.angelfire.com/va2/suntzuipt4uva

-"Nineteen sixty-three is not an end, but a beginning. And those who hope that the Negro needed to blow off steam and will now be content, will have a rude awakening if the nation returns to business as usual."

-Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Old 01-19-2001, 04:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Japera1920
Once again Iotanet, you have grace the board with your words. If I have missed anyone, Happy Founder's Day to all. Let's take a moment and reflect on what our founder's want us to do.

They would want our respective organizations to grow and serve.

Happy Founder's Day to all.
Old 01-19-2001, 10:14 AM
GreekChat Member

While I definately agree that there are distinct differences between BGLOs and GLOs, I don't think that there should be hostility becuase someone wants to wish someone a happy founders day.

I don't realy anticipate us doing very much community service or other activities together, but if a person wants to wish another organization a happy founders day, I see no problem with that.

AlphaChiGirl, thank you once again for wishing my Fraternity a happy founders day. If someone sent you a message that you have no right to send us congratualtions, then they were speaking for themselves. They definately were not speaking for the men of Kappa Alpha Psi, Fraternity.

MN

Old 01-19-2001, 10:18 AM
GreekChat Member

You know what y'all, I believe AlphaChiGirl when she says she received messages saying she has "no right" to give happy founders day greetings to NPHC groups because there are some folks who would say something stupid like that. But that's not true. If we didn't want wishes from non-NPHC members, we wouldn't have let y'all know it was our Founders' Days at all. There is nothing that says a non-NPHC org member cannot wish an NPHC org member Happy Founders' Day.

Or you can look at it this way: you're with people you know and a couple you don't know. Some are in your family and some are not. In the conversation, 5 of the people you don't know and aren't in your family, mention it's their birthday. Do you not wish them a happy birthday just because you don't know them and they're not in your family? Everybody has a birthday and I'm sure everyone like to hear "happy birthday" on or around that day. That's all this is about to me. If you truly want all greeks, regardless of umbrella orgainzation, to be unified or at least cordial, you have to start somewhere. Saying "Happy Founders' Day" is a good place.

This little discussion say a lot about NPHC/IFC/NPC relations. I mean, what happened to "if you want to know something, ask"? Granted, we NPHC folks don't give up a whole lot of information, but, GENERALLY, if we feel you're asking out of "I truly want to know" and not "I want to be a member but I don't want to do any reseach" (believe me, we know the difference) we'll answer.

AlphaChiGirl, I am truly sorry you were told you cannot give founders day wishes if you're not in the NPHC. THANK YOU and others (I won't call them out but they know who they are) for being among the few who did send greetings.

AKA2D'91, you are SILLY

Happy Friday!!

[This message has been edited by 12dn94dst (edited January 19, 2001).]
Old 01-19-2001, 03:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AlphaChiGirl:
Okay...in response to this "NPC/NIC members don't wish NPHC groups 'Happy Founders' Day" thread: when I posted, congratulating the men on KAPsi for 90 years of Greekdom, I received multiple emails informing me that, as a member of a non-NPHC group, I had no right to congratulate NPHC groups. I wasn't sure how accurate this was, since I'm new to some of the protocol of NPHC groups. I congratulated my friends and relatives in NPHC groups, however.

With that out of the way, congratulations to ALL existing groups for all your accomplishments.

That's not surprising!

Thank You for you gestsure!

hmmmmmmmm, I wonder are they "silent observers?" (UN)registered posters? or Greek? hhhhhmmmmmmmm

[This message has been edited by AKA2D '91 (edited January 19, 2001).]
Old 01-19-2001, 09:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Let me also say "Happy Founders Day to ALL".

Oh yea, AlphaChiGirl, don't worry about what other people say or think.
Just shake them haters off. LOL

Ignorance is BLISS!

[This message has been edited by Bobby Earl (edited January 19, 2001).]
Old 01-19-2001, 09:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AlphaChiGirl:
when I posted, congratulating the men on KAPsi for 90 years of Greekdom, I received multiple emails informing me that, as a member of a non-NPHC group, I had no right to congratulate NPHC groups.
What kind of s**t is that?

While we are on the subject of who doesn't congratulate whom.......I have noticed that some neos get all kinds of love when they announce that they have become members. Members of most of the 9 NPHC organizations take time out of their day to congratulate them. But some don't get any love from anyone outside of their own organization.

------------------
"In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: It goes on." ~Robert Frost