Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,553
0 members and 1,553 guests
No Members online

Old 10-19-2006, 08:38 AM
GreekChat Member

The Deal with Do Rags

I was on an HBCU last week to do a presentation with the president of the college. The president stopped a student and asked him to take his “do rag” off. I was very surprised. She stated men are not allowed to sport “do rags” on her campus. Later, I began to think does it really matter. Would this have happened at a non-HBCU? What’s your take?
Old 10-19-2006, 09:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor View Post
I was on an HBCU last week to do a presentation with the president of the college. The president stopped a student and asked him to take his “do rag” off. I was very surprised. She stated men are not allowed to sport “do rags” on her campus. Later, I began to think does it really matter. Would this have happened at a non-HBCU? What’s your take?
I don't believe this would have happened at a non-HBCU.

Firstly, do-rags don't offend me in most academic circumstances. In the classroom is fine with me.... in church, chapter meeting, formals, etc., it's a problem. I think what's most irksome is when people where do-rags with no do! I mean, you have a haircut homie! If you're trying to preserve your cornrows, then have at it.

I think what's happening on HBCU campuses is the clash between the black upper class and hip-hop/urban style. White administrators are either accepting of the style difference because they've seen everything from lip rings to mohawks, or they are too afraid to say anything for fear of violating peoples civil rights and liberties and having it called racism.
Old 10-19-2006, 09:40 AM
GreekChat Member

We must also remember that College is supposed to prepare young adults not only academically, but also socially. There was a time when college trained individuals stood out from the crowd because they were dressed in accordance to the schools dress policy. Many HBCU's had these dress policies and enforced them until the late 60s. I think more schools should implimate dress policies when attending class. This will put more focus on the business at hand...education. Therefore I believe that when a student is attending classes, he/she should be dressed appropriately...no do-rags, scarfs, hats, pajamas, slippers, stripper clothes etc. in the lecture hall. But when someone is on their own free time they should be able to dress how they wish.

Last edited by Sophist08edLady; 10-19-2006 at 09:50 AM.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:06 PM
GreekChat Member

I support the president's move 100 percent. Look like the professional you're studying/training to be.
~ Luke 19:10
Old 10-19-2006, 11:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Then how do you reconcile those that do not attend HBCUs and are not subjected to dress codes with the success they still achieve in life?

At my school we were allowed to be comfortable in our dress. That did not affect what we learned about life after college. Nor did it negatively affect our academic prowess. Not to mention that in corporate America today, many industries have relaxed dress codes anyway. For example, my daught who is a senior brand manager for Frito-Lay does not wear suits to work.

I see dress codes at HBCUs as being rather pretentious and separating the haves from the have nots.

Now if that do rag was covering up a conk, then that is a whole 'nother issue - LOL.
Reaffirmed: Glen Ellyn Area Alumnae
All in the MIGHTY MIDWEST REGION!
Old 10-20-2006, 01:15 AM
GreekChat Member

I see that some of you have never been on the Souhtern University campus on "Pretty Wednesday" LOL!!

I SWEAR that I have seen more breasts, butt, legs and thighs on a COLLEGE CAMPUS than I would see in a strip club! I have seen guys walking around with their pants to their knees. It's utterly ridiculous!

While I don't agree with a dress code, per se, I do believe there should be some sort of regulation. Though everyone should be able to express themselves freely through their dress, some folks take things too far. If you are "evolved" enough to be attending college, it's about time to modify your dress to match your vocational aspirations. One should not come to class like they have just finished their shift at the Nasty Kitty Gentlemen's Club, nor as if you and your homies are "riding dirty."

Tighten up that appearance!!!
Old 10-20-2006, 09:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophist08edLady View Post
We must also remember that College is supposed to prepare young adults not only academically, but also socially. There was a time when college trained individuals stood out from the crowd because they were dressed in accordance to the schools dress policy. Many HBCU's had these dress policies and enforced them until the late 60s. I think more schools should implimate dress policies when attending class. This will put more focus on the business at hand...education. Therefore I believe that when a student is attending classes, he/she should be dressed appropriately...no do-rags, scarfs, hats, pajamas, slippers, stripper clothes etc. in the lecture hall. But when someone is on their own free time they should be able to dress how they wish.
When I was in school my freshman/soph year 89-90 it seemed that Mon/Wed/Fri was the unofficial dress up days. The Jrs/Srs wore shirts with ties, skirts or dress slacks, all had a coach briefcases and not too many backpacks etc. They looked like they were stepping off the campus and into the real world. You felt out of place if you were bummy on those days. Tues/Thurs were lab days mainly and not too many folks had a full day of classes so it wasn't as much. But it was nice to see college kids of all economic backgrounds try to care about their apperance w/o administration telling them to do so.

Old 10-20-2006, 10:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladygreek View Post
Then how do you reconcile those that do not attend HBCUs and are not subjected to dress codes with the success they still achieve in life?
Actually dress codes originated at Ivy League Schools. Hence the "Oxford" shirt. It was once common practive for students at Yale, Harvard and Princeton to be required to wear a collard shirt, tie and jacket to classes. I don't beleive that everyone should be dresses in 3-piece suits to go to class, but businees casual attire is appropriate. Club-wear should def not be in class rooms. I also don't believe that this should be just at HBCUs, but in all places of higher education.
Old 10-20-2006, 12:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor View Post
Would this have happened at a non-HBCU? What’s your take?
No.

(doorags aren't a new phenom. but now more than ever bruthas are trying to incorporate doorags with regular attire and thinking it's cute)

HBCUs have "always" had either formal or informal dress codes and codes of conduct that non-HBCUs have not had. I can think of Hampton as a prime example where students in the early '90s weren't allowed to wear jeans with holes in them, even it that was once the fad.

This dresscode and code of conduct was especially salient in the early to mid-1900s because HBCUs were the center of black higher learning and young adult socialization. Therefore, the institutions made it a point to prepare students for the "real world" both intellectually and culturally--even when many of these students did not have families who were well-versed in intellectual and cultural matters. Now, some HBCUs are still fighting the good fight but I find that some HBCUs look like they've been overtaken by a less desirable element, even those insitutions that explicitly state their founding as religious institutions.
Old 10-20-2006, 12:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

At my school we were allowed to be comfortable in our dress. That did not affect what we learned about life after college. Nor did it negatively affect our academic prowess. Not to mention that in corporate America today, many industries have relaxed dress codes anyway. For example, my daught who is a senior brand manager for Frito-Lay does not wear suits to work.

I see dress codes at HBCUs as being rather pretentious and separating the haves from the have nots.

Now if that do rag was covering up a conk, then that is a whole 'nother issue - LOL.
I'm not really bothered by doorags but I wouldn't date a man who still wears one out the house. And you're WRONNNNGGGG for the conk joke.

I rarely see bruthas wearing doorags around PWI college campuses. It happens but these were usually 1) underclassmen and/or 2) student athletes. Similarly, I didn't see too many girls walking around with scarves on their heads or looking like they are going to the club.

Relaxed/comfortable/casual dress code isn't the same thing as people walking around looking like "hoochies and hoodlums." You won't see a doorag or a hiked up skirt with stilettos at most jobs. And, no, I don't think that every dude in hip hop gear or a doorag looks like a hoodlum...nor does every girl with a short skirt and stilettos look like a hoochie (I wear short skirts and stilettos when the occasion sees fit ).
Old 10-20-2006, 12:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophist08edLady View Post
Actually dress codes originated at Ivy League Schools. Hence the "Oxford" shirt. It was once common practive for students at Yale, Harvard and Princeton to be required to wear a collard shirt, tie and jacket to classes.
I understand that and to me it was pretentious and used to separate the "elite."
Old 10-20-2006, 12:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I understand that and to me it was pretentious and used to separate the "elite."
There is separation in all walks of life. We're (read: within-race) not all the same people when you get to specifics. There will always be some divergence to go along with all of the convergence in experiences.

The cream of the crop isn't just about performance. People will also rise to the top based on their cultural proficiency and that includes style of dress and speech. It's what people in my field call cultural capital, social capital, and human capital. You portray a certain image and are able to network, then you will be given the opportunity to show of your knowledge and skills, as well as develop your knowledge and skills.

The big issue with this is that it is based on dominant group ideals. Cultural capital is about the style of speech and dress that the dominant group values.
Old 10-20-2006, 01:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhrozenGod01 Send a message via Yahoo to PhrozenGod01
Unless the student was the one presenting for a class, I wouldn't be suprised if he rebelled rather vehemently. At my alma mater, I would have laughed in the president's face for an order as ridiculous as that. Not only is it my right to wear whatever I want, but it is rather sexist to state that only women can wear scarves or do-rags. Some of the brightest students in my mangement school wore pajamas to class every day if they didn't have an interview or presentation. I find that is more important that the student showed up to class. I wore do-rags in school but still got my work done, always spoke properly, and treated everyone with respect. No one ever hassled me about what I wore and I respected them for that.

Maybe I'm real heated about this issue because I went to a huge public university, with progressive liberal ideas, or maybe I just really have a problem with authority figures who treat adults like children.
Old 10-20-2006, 02:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhrozenGod01 View Post
Unless the student was the one presenting for a class, I wouldn't be suprised if he rebelled rather vehemently. At my alma mater, I would have laughed in the president's face for an order as ridiculous as that. Not only is it my right to wear whatever I want, but it is rather sexist to state that only women can wear scarves or do-rags. Some of the brightest students in my mangement school wore pajamas to class every day if they didn't have an interview or presentation. I find that is more important that the student showed up to class. I wore do-rags in school but still got my work done, always spoke properly, and treated everyone with respect. No one ever hassled me about what I wore and I respected them for that.

Maybe I'm real heated about this issue because I went to a huge public university, with progressive liberal ideas, or maybe I just really have a problem with authority figures who treat adults like children.
LOL at the thought of folx at the U wearing suits and dresses to classes. Now pajamas are a little much for me, but then I wouldn't wear pajamas outside of my house anyway.
Old 10-21-2006, 08:42 PM
GreekChat Member

It was her campus and her rules, she was just reminding him of the rules. We as a society have gotten rather lax in our standard of dress, be it school, work, or church. I think she was just reminding the student of the standards of her campus and that he must adhere to that standard.