GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,152
Threads: 115,579
Welcome to our newest member, horsearcher
» Online Users: 1,253
2 members and 1,251 guests
John, Phrozen Sands

Old 12-28-2007, 09:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Ever gotten sick after going to a restaurant? Ever wondered why your stomach hurt after coming home from dinner? If you have, you're either allergic to something that they cooked--or, they did something weird to your food.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathykd2005 View Post
Ever gotten sick after going to a restaurant? Ever wondered why your stomach hurt after coming home from dinner? If you have, you're either allergic to something that they cooked--or, they did something weird to your food.
I have gotten sick before, but I thought it may have been from undercooked or spoiled food. I never thought about anyone putting something gross in it, at least not until I saw that talk show. That guy must have really pissed her off. If you're nice and send something back, how can anyone be that mean and put something in it?
Old 12-28-2007, 10:20 PM
GreekChat Member

How can anyone do anything mean? I don't get it, you don't get it, but it happens.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
That's a little over cynical. Not everyone puts shit in your food. You can get sick for many reasons. Can we stop the whole "the servers can be pissed for no reason and put stuff in your food." We understand. It happens, just not 100% of the time.

Would you like a Cleveland Steamer or Alabama Hot Pocket with your Blumpkin?
Old 12-28-2007, 10:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by epchick View Post
Not everyone puts shit in your food.
lol lol lol
Old 12-28-2007, 11:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PM_Mama00 Send a message via Yahoo to PM_Mama00
Quote:
Way to be accusatory. Look, if you don't want to be aware of the facts, which is that a lot of restaurants are not up to health codes, then so be it. I'm just telling the OP that on many occasions, it's not the best idea to send a plate back to the kitchen. Like I said earlier, if people want to keep believing that these things don't happen, then you put your own safety as far as eating goes in danger. Haven't you ever watched Gordon Ramsey's "Kitchen Nightmares"? Well, I'm telling you that yes, these sorts of things DO happen in real life. This is WHY we have health inspectors coming to places and shutting them down. I've seen it happen, I know it does. Keep thinking what I'm saying is "horrible" and "ridiculous" if you want to, though.
You're making it sound like every restaurant does it. I'm happy to say that I've NEVER seen or heard of any of my cooks pulling this shit... they know better. For one, they'd rather serve top notch food and be proud of it. For two, there's a camera watching them 24/7... they can't pull shit. Oh I'm also happy to say that the last time the health inspectors were in my restaurant, we passed, as did plenty of restaurants in my area. I don't know where you come from, but stop passing it off like it is ohhhhhhhhhh so dangerous to send food back.

Quote:
And seriously... stay home and cook your own damn food and shut the hell up. Gee... I wonder what those cooks do to my food at Mongolian BBQ every time I eat there? They must have some sort of special sauce hidden in those oil bottles. Seriously get over yourself and your chef husband.

KLTC
Old 12-29-2007, 12:18 AM
GreekChat Member

No, seriously, you need to get over YOURSELF. I'm not saying it happens everywhere, and if you could read, you would know that. Seriously, just step off. I'm not saying I'm an authority on anything. But by you saying it never happens, is just stupid. You know it happens in other places, otherwise, why would there be so many exposes about it lately. Come on now. I know you aren't this naive. Arguing for the sake of argument, perhaps? I think so...
Old 12-29-2007, 12:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by epchick View Post
That's a little over cynical. Not everyone puts shit in your food. You can get sick for many reasons. Can we stop the whole "the servers can be pissed for no reason and put stuff in your food." We understand. It happens, just not 100% of the time.
I didn't say it happens all the time. I did say that it happens, though, which some people are more than happy to be in denial about.
Old 12-29-2007, 12:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
No, seriously, you need to get over YOURSELF. I'm not saying it happens everywhere, and if you could read, you would know that. Seriously, just step off. I'm not saying I'm an authority on anything. But by you saying it never happens, is just stupid. You know it happens in other places, otherwise, why would there be so many exposes about it lately. Come on now. I know you aren't this naive. Arguing for the sake of argument, perhaps? I think so...
What kind of hole in the wall restaurant does your husband work at? Unbelievable.

^^^

Can't you tell I'm a procrastinator?
Old 12-29-2007, 12:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionysus View Post
What kind of hole in the wall restaurant does your husband work at? Unbelievable.
My husband no longer works as a chef, but he has worked at more than a few, and they certainly weren't "hole in the wall" restaurants, either. Things like that don't just happen in the seemingly bad restaurants, you know.
Old 12-29-2007, 12:39 AM
GreekChat Member

DSTCHAOS,
I knew there was at least one person who was understanding where I was coming from. I'm not saying, nor have I ever, said that EVERY restaurant sucks and will give you bad service or poisonous food. Nor am I saying that I have NEVER sent food back at a restaurant--because I have. That one time I sent back a dish was because the chicken was RAW and could have given me salmonella. All I'm saying is, be careful where you eat, and what you send back. Don't walk into a restaurant and simply assume that they know health codes, because they might not. You really just don't know. Would you walk down a street you don't know, alone, without knowing where you were going? Of course not. It's the same thing when you walk into a restaurant. Don't get a false sense of security anywhere.
Old 12-29-2007, 12:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTCHAOS View Post
People are assuming that every nice restaurant has a "nasty person" filter.
Kinda like when people get on GreekChat sometimes No nasty person filter anywhere!!!
Old 12-29-2007, 12:47 AM
GreekChat Member

And even that, like you said earlier, is no real indication of their performance on a day-to-day basis. I have seen restaurants get a passing grade the time I went there, and be closed the next time. They just happen to catch them doing what they do all the time, at a certain time.
Old 12-29-2007, 12:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PM_Mama00 Send a message via Yahoo to PM_Mama00
Quote:
Never said that it never happens... and maybe if you could read, you would know that.

Quote:
DSTCHAOS,
I knew there was at least one person who was understanding where I was coming from. I'm not saying, nor have I ever, said that EVERY restaurant sucks and will give you bad service or poisonous food. Nor am I saying that I have NEVER sent food back at a restaurant--because I have. That one time I sent back a dish was because the chicken was RAW and could have given me salmonella. All I'm saying is, be careful where you eat, and what you send back. Don't walk into a restaurant and simply assume that they know health codes, because they might not. You really just don't know. Would you walk down a street you don't know, alone, without knowing where you were going? Of course not. It's the same thing when you walk into a restaurant. Don't get a false sense of security anywhere.
Quote:
My husband is a very experienced chef. Simply put: you should NOT send it back. What you should do, is order something else, or ask for another plate. Never, NEVER talk down to the help. Even if they don't spit in your food or do something else, they could still just keep making your dinner service miserable by ignoring you, etc. My husband always cringes when one of our family members or friends sends food back. Unfortunately, you'd like to think that all restaurants have stellar service, clean adequately, and know health codes. Unfortunately, that is not the case in today's society.

I also wanted to add that if something is comped off your bill, you SHOULD tip 15-20% (Michigan tip wage is 15 but people pay more nowadays) of what it was BEFORE the comp. A lot of people don't do this. Also, I wish the AARP or God would tell old people that 10% is not a good enough tip. And being nice is also not a good tip. Oh yeah and you should also tip on catering and carry out orders. Work still gets put into those orders.

KLTC
Old 12-29-2007, 12:51 AM
GreekChat Member

And again, just argument for the sake of argument.