GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Kappa Alpha

» GC Stats
Members: 326,180
Threads: 115,581
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 979
3 members and 976 guests
buffalogrΣΣk, John, naraht

Old 10-05-2008, 09:19 PM
GreekChat Member

I accepted the (counter to my counter) offer. I paid my good faith deposit earlier today. Now, I need to find an inspector (Realtor suggested 3) and the hardest part...getting insured. Post Katrina, companies aren't writing new policies.

I'm one step closer.....

GIG!
Old 10-06-2008, 08:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA2D '91 View Post
Yeah Tony B, I'm trying to do a little something...something! Stay tuned. Hopefully, more changes are coming! (nope, not what you're thinking)
...first comes the house, then comes marriage, then comes the PHirst Pham and the baby carriage!! lol

Quote:
I accepted the (counter to my counter) offer. I paid my good faith deposit earlier today. Now, I need to find an inspector (Realtor suggested 3) and the hardest part...getting insured. Post Katrina, companies aren't writing new policies.

I'm one step closer.....

GIG!
do that thang, do that thang!!

...regarding the inspection, make sure your inspector is very thorough on the basement and the roof. also, have him check your furnace thoroughly.

God bless you!!
~ Luke 19:10
Old 10-07-2008, 11:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Soror,
Congratulations!!! You are definitely getting closer. I agree with your realtor that you get more than one inspector. I had two that I checked out (they belong to whatever that inspector certification organization is, you can find it online - sorry, I couldn't find the name on google). Anyway, they each were very good but believe it or not, found totally different sets of things that needed to be addressed. One was more high level, paying attention to the systems, etc. and the other was more low level and actually went through and opened and closed each window, door, etc. They each found at least a page of things that needed to be addressed. For example, my furnace needed to be addressed, and almost none of my windows on the first floor closed - this was found by two different inspectors...but each was important to me.

So I think that at least two inspectors is very important. I guess three, as your realtor recommended, wouldn't hurt. It is definitely worth the investment given how much you are about to purchase the home for to invest less than a thousand dollars to get the place thoroughly checked out. Then, whatever they find, NEGOTIATE THE PRICE EVEN LOWER BASED ON THAT. You should have an inspection contingency in your contract so that will give you the right to walk away if something is found during the inspections and you guys can't come to an agreement on how to handle it, be it price reduction, them fixing it and them paying for a re-inspection or otherwise. You may want to have the two inspectors to generate the list of items to be addressed and then have one of them come back after everything is supposedly fixed to check. We found numerous things that had not been addressed - by the builder (and this was a nationally known builder who shall remain nameless). If I would not have had my re-inspection, I might have been clueless as to whether they fixed everything or not. FYI, many inspectors offer a free re-inspection for their price.

Good luck with getting your insurance. AAA gave me a good deal, especially since I had an apartment rental policy and a car plan with them already. Maybe consider checking them out along with the others that you would typically think of.

Again, congrats!!!!

SC

Quote:

I'm one step closer.....

GIG!