GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,141
Threads: 115,586
Welcome to our newest member, commonpeace
» Online Users: 953
1 members and 952 guests
LaneSig

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-12-2014, 04:57 AM
GreekChat Member

A senior's throwback recruitment story

(To clarify, I'm not rushing as a senior. I rushed as a freshman.)

Its late on a saturday night and I can't sleep. I'm about to start my last semester of college and I've got millions of thoughts running through my head. I keep thinking back to my freshman year, when my life really began. I'm so sad that this amazing part of my life is about to be over. So instead of crying on my keyboard while I look through old facebook photo albums of my freshman year, and looking up sorority recruitment/bid day videos on youtube that aren't even from my chapter, I thought it might be a little bit more therapeutic to tell the story of how I ended up where I am right now.

If you had told my 18 year old self that I would eventually go on to join the most amazing organization of women I could possibly dream of, serve in several major leadership roles in my chapter, and have over 100 women that I truly feel I can call my friends, I would have just stared at you wide eyed and jaw dropped.

Before college, I was just the picture of average. I had an average gpa, average friends, average everything. But I was determined to be more. I somehow managed to secure recs to every single house on campus, though I wasn't a legacy to anywhere. I was about to head off for college across the country where I knew absolutely no one, and I was filled with a mix of excitement, anxiety, and nausea. I couldn't wait.

So I take you back to the fall of 2010 for formal recruitment.

There are 11 sororities at my school, and they will henceforth be known as:

Red Delicious
Gala
Honeycrisp
Braeburn
Golden Delicious
Granny Smith
Fuji
Pink Crisp
McIntosh
Ginger Gold
Ambrosia

Yes, apples. Don't ask why. Its the middle of the night (morning) and I'm sort of delirious.

To give you a little bit more of a backstory, like I said I had recs to every house. I had also spent an extensive amount of time on GreekChat learning the do's and don'ts of recruitment. I knew exactly what to expect. I knew what to say, and what not to say. I knew to keep my expectations low, my mind open, and my head high. Regrettably, I had spent quite a bit of time on college gossip/greek ranking websites, so I already knew the "tiers" and which houses were good and bad. But it was honestly just out of curiosity. I was fully prepared (and even expecting) for all of the "good" houses to drop me right away. Because why would all these extraordinary sororities want anything to do with an average nobody like me?

More to come ~