Welcome to our newest member, craig171
» Online Users: 1,523
3 members and 1,520 guests
Cookiez17, JayhawkAOII, John

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-27-2012, 12:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Improving sorority relations for mixers

Hi everyone. I’m a member of a fraternity on my campus that is neither here nor there so to speak. We’re not a socially awkward/dorky engineering frat or anything but we’re also not a fraternity that is really fratty. We’re kind of regarded as “nice guys” and a good number of guys are in relationships although still a lot of guys are single. I’d say we are all kind of cool in a unique way since we are not all homogeneous (i.e. we're not all preppy for example). Regardless, if you talk to people and say “I’m in [insert my fraternity name here]” girls will say “oh I know so and so, I love them” or “oh cool I love [insert my fraternity name here] guys.”

That’s just a small background of us, and I’m trying to see how we can improve our sorority relations. Again, individually sorority girls like us but as an entity they don’t really interact with us (no philanthropy or mixers). I’m wondering how we can go about increasing those relations to have mixers or other interactions.

In the past our social chairs have asked the sorority social chairs to plan mixers (through email) and the social chairs either didn’t respond or said they’re too busy etc. Is there a better way of going about this? Is calling or sending a letter a better way? I think it’s just hard to say “will you join us on such and such date” since we don’t even know if they want to mix or if they are even free that date.

I hear of sororities mixing with frats that are no better than us (as in not necessarily cooler or more attractive) and it just upsets me that we for some reason have this barrier even though people still like us. If it is the fact that we are not as fratty as some other frats, I was still under the impression that people don't only go to mixers to meet people for sex or relationships… I thought people like to go to just meet people and have a fun time… Any advice to fix this would be appreciated (if you have questions let me know). Thanks!

Last edited by gr33kfan; 03-27-2012 at 01:55 PM.