Welcome to our newest member, lopezsae
» Online Users: 1,471
2 members and 1,469 guests
KDKells

Old 04-24-2006, 01:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kddani
Actually, by looking at your profile, I see that you want to go into sports marketing and are majoring in mass communications. There has to be other opportunities in the athletic department for meaningful work (not just the selling programs stuff). Are there other colleges in your town? Any local sports teams? I'm not sure where in PA you are, but there are tons of local sports teams, aside from just the biggies. Just off the top of my head in my side of the state there's the Washington Wildthings, the Altoona Curve, the Baby Penguins over in WilkesBury-Scranton ( know i spelled that wrong). I'm sure there are others that i'm not familiar with. Or look into work for the various high school sports conferences in your area- for instance, in this side of the state, we have the WPIAL.

As someone who has worked in the field, I can tell you that opportunities for those jobs are few and far between. Most colleges have a small sports information department, and many of the jobs available are non-paying. Sometimes, they are filled by people who have already graduated, but who have the flexibility to intern and make no money. That includes collegiate as well as pro athletic departments.
Old 04-24-2006, 01:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KSigkid
As someone who has worked in the field, I can tell you that opportunities for those jobs are few and far between. Most colleges have a small sports information department, and many of the jobs available are non-paying. Sometimes, they are filled by people who have already graduated, but who have the flexibility to intern and make no money. That includes collegiate as well as pro athletic departments.
Not something that I would know, but just throwing out some ideas. What would you suggest she do, then?
Old 04-24-2006, 02:04 PM
GreekChat Member

ILP-- I feel your pain! I didn't have a car until my third year of college. I juggled a work-study and an off-campus job that I walked to. Keep trying for a new job-- see if you can get a job as an admin asst for the school of communication. You can build up a rapport with the professors, who can potentially help you land internships and jobs. And see what you can do about having a car. My money-making opportunities and chances at meaningful internships improved many, many times over once I got my first car!

And if it means anything to you, tell your boss the kid is driving you nuts. The more he hears it, the more he will do something about it. If you say nothing, nothing gets done. What's the worst that can happen?
Old 04-24-2006, 02:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Agreed.

She's looking for jobs elsewhere and is working hard here. She's gonna be fine.

And I'm sure there are things she likes about her job anyway.

-Rudey
Old 04-24-2006, 02:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rudey
Agreed.

She's looking for jobs elsewhere and is working hard here. She's gonna be fine.

And I'm sure there are things she likes about her job anyway.

-Rudey
I definitely hear her on that - I was a preschool teacher, librarian, and babysitter while in school. Changing diapers wasn't my first choice, but you do what you have to to pay the bills.

Penguins - a lot of people have been there. Good luck, and don't get too discouraged about things.
Old 04-24-2006, 06:27 PM
GreekChat Member

*in my best Ceilie voice* "Beat 'em"
Old 04-24-2006, 08:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl
Rudey, get off her nuts already. It's old and annoying and stupid.

She has nuts. So she's a man. That explains everything
Old 04-25-2006, 07:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kddani
Not something that I would know, but just throwing out some ideas. What would you suggest she do, then?
I understand, I'm just giving my perspective; jobs with college and pro sports teams are not easy to find, and when you do find them, many are internships. If she can afford to do unpaid work, great, but it doesn't sound like it fits this situation.

I think threads like these are actually good, because many people can relate to this situation. I just remember being in college, having to pay for school, and sometimes having to choose a job that wasn't necessarily that great to pay the tuition bills.

My suggestion was a few posts ago: Basically, try to stick it out, because if this girl is acting like this, other people are probably getting upset too, and it will catch up to her at some point.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rudey
the hot dog venders would say "It is what it is", and "The colored girls go Doo, doo doo, doo doo, doo doo doo."

-Rudey
Did they take a walk on the wild side?
Old 04-25-2006, 10:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Did they take a walk on the wild side?
For sure. Does anyone even know what that song is about? It makes no sense to me.

And I had absolutely no idea they sold hot dogs on the street in the South. Bizarre.

-Rudey