Members: 326,155
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, luvdovemrh
» Online Users: 1,218
4 members and 1,214 guests
Cookiez17, JayhawkAOII

Old 10-30-2006, 11:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Any other substitutes/teachers out there?

I'm a licensed teacher in Ohio and I'm on my second year of subbing. I'm looking for a full-time position but the job market here stinks .

I'm trying to do things to get my name out in the system. Currently, I have business cards that I pass out at schools. I eat lunch in the teacher's lounge. I'm friendly to other teachers and try to join in on conversations, but it's hard to fit in when I'm in a different school every day.

Are there any other teachers/subs that can give me advice about how to get my name out?

Last edited by Phimuteach; 11-01-2006 at 07:47 PM.
Old 11-01-2006, 01:01 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm in the same situation as you. I'm in my 3rd year subbing in NE Ohio and all I can say is keep doing what you are doing. If you are looking for something long term (like a maternity leave, etc), make sure you talk to the building principal so he/she knows that you are interested. Get yourself out to as many districts as possible. I tried to do that my first year but one district kept me so busy that I only went to 3 other districts and not that often. My second year, not at all (I was in long terms with this particular district all last year) and this year I'm kind of stuck where I was last year. Not that I don't mind it....I love the district but with levy problems....it's been very difficult to be hired.

Keep plugging away at what you are doing and it'll take you a long way....you just have to be patient. (Wow...me using that word considering everyone else has told me that too and I do my best to refuse!
Old 11-01-2006, 05:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool

I subbed when I was in grad school, before I became a fulltime teacher.

Go meet the Principal's Secretary, or other designee who is assigned the job of contacting subs for emergencies... such as, when they call @ 6am for a sub THAT day.

In Miami, where I used to teach, these designees were easily "bribed." (and I mean that JOKINGLY.) If they were given a cutesy little gift, with the sub's card/resume (whatever you use) attached, they'd be called. Gift = something small like a first aid kit / bandages - "in case of emergency" - get it?

The beginning of the year, schools are flowing with subs. But if you can stand to wait till Feb-Mar, that's when lots of subs have been hired, and there needs to be a new flow of available subs.

Good luck!
Old 11-21-2006, 02:28 PM

This is surprising to me. In Texas, we are constantly needing teachers. Again, the best suggestion is to speak directly to the principals and vice-principals of the buildings that you are in and let them know - You are willing and able to teach anything that comes open. Also, check out the private and parochiol schools. Even though they may not pay as well, it's a way to get your foot in the door and get the steady experience.

Or, move to the Dallas area. All of the districts in this area need teachers! When I started in the Dallas district 11 years ago, on the first day of school they still had 200 positions unfilled. It's not that bad now, but they still constantly have positions open.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 11-21-2006, 04:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Hi PhiMuTeach!
I'm in the same boat. This is my second year of teaching in SW Ohio without a full-time job. I have 2 part time jobs with a school district that keep me there 7:30am-3:30pm every day of the week..but still no full time benefits or pay...just keep trying to find jobs anywhere is all I can say. I'm getting my Masters and another license in something other then Early Childhood Edu. so hopefuly things will change for me next year! Just keep your head up and keep searching!
Old 11-27-2006, 12:04 AM
GreekChat Member

hmmm

What is it with Ohio? I've heard negative things about the market for teachers out there. I know a girl who chose to move from Ohio to another state so that she could find a teaching job!

I'm not from Ohio, but I'm interested in teaching, too... still looking at my options as I don't have a BA in edu
Old 03-01-2008, 05:35 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm originally from SE Ohio and decided to get the hell out of dodge when I got my degree. I accepted a position in Clearwater Florida teaching 8th grade Reading, my dream job And get this, my school is going about 5 minutes away from the beach, heck yeah!

I never subbed and just went straight into teaching, thankfully it's worked out nicely. My hubby subs now and has had numerous offers from schools to teach whenever he finishes his bachelors.
Old 03-13-2008, 02:13 PM
GreekChat Member

I am so happy I have found this thread! It has given me some great advice! I recently graduated with a BAE in Secondary Education. Since I graduated in the middle of the year, I knew I would be subbing most of the time.

I am finding it is harder than ever in this job market to find a job! While I am now working a few days a week at a small, private school, and starting to sub the rest of the days. It is so hard to find a perament job for the fall. Any ideas on where to look in this job search? I have already checked out sites like teachers-teachers.com and the local school districts, but no one is listing any openings yet.

Old 03-17-2008, 09:17 PM
GreekChat Member

I was pink slipped today.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:48 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm so sorry to hear that! I know you will find an even better teaching job. I am a bit worried I am going to get let go, too, since our enrollment is slipping. I guess I just have to wait and see... Good luck to you, BetteDavisEyes!
Old 03-23-2008, 04:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Peeing on you and telling you it's rain apparently...
I just graduated and I currently sub-I don't want to teach, but I do like subbing.

I want a regular job before the school year ends, preferrably something that utilizes my skills (English & Women's Studies Major). I've been putting myself out there and all that they seem to be offering is customer service and telemarketing! I want a real job, if I wanted to sell things I'd have just stayed in the mall. I really hate this. I don't know where to look anymore.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetteDavisEyes View Post
I was pink slipped today.
(hugs) That stinks. Were you RIFed or are you officially out of a job for the next school year?

They're cutting a position at my school, but there's someone that was hired after me so I'm somewhat "safe". I'm feeling bratty because I might have to change grade levels and I don't want to. It would be two grade levels younger so I wouldn't really be able to "adapt" my things from this year. I know I should feel grateful that I probably will be staying in my school next year, but I was really hoping to be in the same grade level so I could use some of the things I did this year again!
Old 04-23-2008, 10:36 PM
GreekChat Member

I was RIFed. I won't officially know until May 15th if it will be retracted or not.
Old 05-18-2008, 03:35 PM
wreckingcrew

3 weeks away from finishing my first year of teaching and coaching, and summer can't get here fast enough. I got my Texas certificate in March so I'm good to go. Right now I'm waiting to see who they bring in to be the next football coach, as our head coach left to take a job elsewhere. Hopefully the new guy won't be too bad and I won't have to go looking for a job this summer at Coaching Clinic.
Old 09-03-2009, 03:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Bump! I'm applying to sub in California right now. I passed the CBEST a while ago, and I'm working on getting all of my paperwork together. I still need a TB test as well as letters of reference. I just moved back home, so my whole life is pretty unorganized right now. Hopefully, I can start subbing before too long!