GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,154
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,133
0 members and 1,133 guests
No Members online

Old 02-24-2002, 10:11 PM
Super Moderator

Petition to start a Pledge Forum

This thread is specifically (and respectfully) addressed to John Hammell. I think there should be a forum somewhere on greekchat where people can discuss different methods and programs for positive pledge/new member education. The object of the forum would be to allow all of us to collectively improve our individual chapters' pledge programs by bringing in new ideas learned here. I encourage anyone in support of this to post a reply indicating such. Thanks a lot!
Old 02-24-2002, 10:25 PM
GreekChat Member

I second that statement and would like to volunteer as moderator.
Old 02-24-2002, 10:26 PM
Artimis

Much of the new member programs are discussed in risk management because they have been a direct result of a change in the way education is aproached due to the anti-hazing laws that have been legislated.
Old 02-24-2002, 10:32 PM
Super Moderator

Artimis...

With all due respect, hazing laws have been around for long enough that chapters should be used to the fact that they can't (and shouldn't!) haze pledges. The risk management forum, in my personal opinion, should be for risk mgmt issues related to events and such. Pledge education encompasses so much more than just making sure that pledges aren't hazed that I think it deserves its own forum.

...that's my story and I'm stickin' to it! (-Colin Quinn, SNL)
Old 02-24-2002, 10:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Why don't you email John?
Old 02-24-2002, 10:39 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree
Old 02-24-2002, 10:45 PM
Artimis

Re: Artimis...

Quote:
Originally posted by SAEactive
With all due respect, hazing laws have been around for long enough that chapters should be used to the fact that they can't (and shouldn't!) haze pledges. The risk management forum, in my personal opinion, should be for risk mgmt issues related to events and such. Pledge education encompasses so much more than just making sure that pledges aren't hazed that I think it deserves its own forum.

...that's my story and I'm stickin' to it! (-Colin Quinn, SNL)
Yes, hazing laws have been in existance for a while. Yet, chapters are still being closed for hazing. Risk Management is not issolated to just hazing. It includes any form of responsible behavior be it between brothers, living arrangements, or social activites. Our organizations have taken and continue to take drastic measurements, changes due to liablity issues to reduce risk both to the members and the finanical assets of the organization. Educating members and developing members to be a positive influence to each other and becoming responsible members of society lowers the risk for the chapter.

In addition, new member programs can be discussed in chapter operations as new member programs are part of the operation of a chapter. Some new member programs will not be shared except in general as they are built on a foundation of the beliefs and values that are unique to the organization
Old 02-24-2002, 10:58 PM
Super Moderator

maybe so, but I suppose it's ultimately up to John either way
Old 02-25-2002, 12:51 AM
UMgirl

I fully support a Pledge/New member Forum, and i think John should also be emailed too.

I second Optimist being a Moderator of it

Artimis< I dont think the forum would jsut cover New member programs but it would give new members a chance to talk with other who are going thru the same stuff as them currently. They could discuss their first formal. first grrek week, how they are getting along with their pledge classes, if they feel out of place with some active. Its their own lil outlet. They could say what they think about new member programs and etc. Us alumni have a forum, and so do current collegians with the Greek Life Forum...kinda. It would be something positive for New Members to have one too.
Old 02-25-2002, 01:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
Hi, I agree with Artimis that this is a topic easily handled in the Chapter Operations forumn which is supposed to deal with management aspects of chapter programs as well as leadership issues.

When the board was originally designed the forumns were set up a little more the way that you seem to be thinking, with each aspect of chapter programming having its own forumn.

However, its readily apparent that some forumns have very little traffic and some have only accumulated a few hundred posts in three years.

Why create another very specific forumn that will not get much traffic?

When talking about pledging issues there are only so many angles to explore.

As Artimis said: Issue number one is to make sure your chapter is in compliance with all the rules and regulations that have been imposed on you.

Discussion point two: Philosophical Nature of pledge programs where we discuss what they shuld be based around as well as what to put in a model program.

Discussion point number 3: Comparing existing programs, both idealistically from a National view point such as Sig Ep's Balanced Man, SAE's Leading Edge (did they finish the new one?), Alpha Tau Omega's True Merit Character, Kappa Sig's Brothers In Action etc, with chapter programs.

Discussion Point number 4: Specific problems within an ongoing pledge program, such as people not getting along etc.

Discussion Point number 5 (what UM Girl is saying): People relating pledge experiences like they have ben relating Formal Rush experiences in the Rush Forum.

Discussion point number 5 would be the only reason I could see for starting a whole new forum, if you think that people would start posting in the thousands about their pledge experiences.

But those threads have come up and been sparsely replied to.

In conclusion: It seems that the chapter operations forum would easily hold the above mentioned discussion.

ITs not a bad idea, it just dosn't seem very needful at the present. If we start overflowing the Chapter Operations Forum or Rish Management Forum with pledge stuff we could always revisit this question.

Last edited by James; 02-25-2002 at 01:21 AM.
Old 02-25-2002, 01:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SparkliiQTMTSU Send a message via Yahoo to SparkliiQTMTSU
I think that we definitly should have a pledge forum. I would also volunteer to be a moterator.

nichole
Old 02-25-2002, 01:40 AM
GreekChat Member

How do I email John?
Old 02-25-2002, 10:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

I agree with UMgirl.

I think it's a great idea.
Old 02-25-2002, 12:29 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by James
SAE's Leading Edge (did they finish the new one?)
For the record...

The Official site of the True Gentlemen Initiative a program of Sigma Alpha Epsilon Fraternity
Old 02-25-2002, 06:51 PM
Super Moderator

Just bumpin' this up to the top...

Any more ideas/thoughts/suggestions/whatever?

I already PMed John about the idea. I suppose we'll see eventually.