GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Kappa > Kappa Kappa Gamma

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,337
1 members and 1,336 guests
acg233

Old 06-21-2008, 02:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Santa Clara University

From the Kappa website:
Quote:
The Fraternity is pleased to announce that Kappa has been invited to colonize our 135th chapter at Santa Clara, California, this Fall 2008. More information will be available following our Biennial Convention.
Although Greeks aren't recognized by the school, SCU already has 3 other very successful Panhellenic chapters. They have Theta, DG, and Alpha Phi.

I'm so excited for this new chapter so close to UC Santa Cruz as well as my hometown!
Old 06-21-2008, 09:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Congrats to the Santa Cruz kappas to be!

I'm curious, is it difficult to exist on a campus where Greeks are not recognized by the school? Is there no Greek Life office? How does the student activities organization handle these groups?

Last edited by gee_ess; 06-21-2008 at 09:35 AM.
Old 06-22-2008, 11:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gee_ess View Post

I'm curious, is it difficult to exist on a campus where Greeks are not recognized by the school? Is there no Greek Life office? How does the student activities organization handle these groups?
I'm sure it must be difficult. I've heard that the only form of advertisement they can have on campus is the t-shirts they wear. (i.e. no flyers whatsoever!)

We actually don't have a Greek Life office at UCSC. Our adviser is ummm...learning along the way. He's one of the guys who advises a bunch of clubs registered with the school.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow, good luck with your advisor. Sounds like he will be willing to work with you as you both learn the ropes! And that can be a good thing since he may be more open to suggestions, etc than a seasoned advisor.

Also, have a great time at convention this week. You will love the Arizona Biltmore!
Old 06-23-2008, 09:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gee_ess View Post

IIRC, there are a few Ivies that don't officially recognize GLOs where Kappa has chapters, so the Fraternity does have some sort of experience dealing with campuses such as those, though I'm sure it varies from University to University.

Congrats to Santa Clara! And have fun at Convention. I really wish I could go.
Perhaps it'll be a hootshinpaloozaree. I don't know.
Old 06-27-2008, 05:13 PM
GreekChat Member

I am a Delta Gamma almuna and an advisor to the DG chapter in Santa Clara.

Congrats to Kappa on your invitation to colonize with Santa Clara Panhellenic this fall.

In answer to how a Greek system works without campus recognition: it is all done by the collegiate members, volunteer alumnae (including a volunteer panhellenic advisor, in lieu of a university staff advisor). NPC reps (meaning the national delegation members to NPC who are assigned to this area) often help with Bid Matching.

Santa Clara University withdrew recognition of the Greek system in 2001, citing limited university resources to monitor a rapidly-increasing GLO membership, including multi-cultural local groups, not just IFC and NPC groups. In other words, they didn't want to commit the staff resources to working with the GLOs. (It had nothing to do with any bad behavior, etc., on the part of the GLOs.) At that point, the Greeks formed their own panhellenic and IFC governing councils off-campus.

Both Delta Gamma and Kappa Kappa Gamma have experience with chapters in this type of off-campus greek system.