GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Locals
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,466
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Angelow
» Online Users: 2,353
1 members and 2,352 guests
PGD-GRAD

Old 01-22-2008, 09:31 AM

Send a message via AIM to A-Theta-Nu Send a message via Yahoo to A-Theta-Nu
Alpha Theta Nu~ Starting a new sorority

Hi Everyone! i've been lurking and getting the feel of GC long before my friend and i sat down in Oct. and decided wow the sororities here just don't click with us. We have 6 NPC Sororities who are wonderful ladies in their own right but just don't click with our ideals and what we want out of a sorority. I finished reading wishinhopin's saga with Nu Beta Omicron and only pray i can have half the determination she had. Just between word of mouth my friend and i have at least two committed girls to help us in the start up process. the real questions for me is what now? i went to Greek Life in Oct/Nov and they practically scoffed at the idea of a new sorority since the ones here have had a problem keeping numbers. even though several girls walk away from rush without a comfortable match. I've been looking at many of your sites for ideas and have to say i turned to my co-founding mother and said"this is the kind of thing campus needs." I haven't really had courage to speak up before now but am glad i have. sorry it's so long

Christine
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-22-2008, 10:21 AM

Did you and your friend and the other women involved go through rush at all?

What "ideals" do you hold that you feel the other groups don't?

Were the girls who walked away "without a comfortable match" really walking away because they felt they "deserved" to be in the most popular sorority, were cut, and then turned up their nose at the less popular groups?

If you want to start something completely different - like a sorority more focused on service or for women in a certain major - that won't rush like the NPC groups do - go for it. But if your school's sororities aren't at total, don't expect that another NPC will be welcomed.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Theta-Nu View Post
Hi Everyone! i've been lurking and getting the feel of GC long before my friend and i sat down in Oct. and decided wow the sororities here just don't click with us. We have 6 NPC Sororities who are wonderful ladies in their own right but just don't click with our ideals and what we want out of a sorority. I finished reading wishinhopin's saga with Nu Beta Omicron and only pray i can have half the determination she had. Just between word of mouth my friend and i have at least two committed girls to help us in the start up process. the real questions for me is what now? i went to Greek Life in Oct/Nov and they practically scoffed at the idea of a new sorority since the ones here have had a problem keeping numbers. even though several girls walk away from rush without a comfortable match. I've been looking at many of your sites for ideas and have to say i turned to my co-founding mother and said"this is the kind of thing campus needs." I haven't really had courage to speak up before now but am glad i have. sorry it's so long

Christine
What is "the kind of thing campus needs? A local? I'm not really sure I understand exactly what you are asking?
Old 01-22-2008, 04:43 PM

Send a message via AIM to A-Theta-Nu Send a message via Yahoo to A-Theta-Nu
I look back at what i wrote and said "never post when you just get up and are in a rush to go to work." I'm sorry for sounds so stupid and unorganized. I don't think any of us have any plan to act like an NPC sorority because we are more service goaled then social though we do what to do some social. I don't know how to classify what we want to do kind of Service/Social/Sisterhood but no goals of being NPC. I think truly from everything we have been throwing around the Athena Room, We really want to be more like either a multicultural sorority which we do not have on campus or service where we only have OPhiA and GSS.We did have a chapter of Gamma Rho Lambda but it seems to have disappeared. I hope i have cleared up my meanings and will definetly not post first thing in the morning when my brain isn't working.
Old 01-22-2008, 04:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Theta-Nu View Post
I look back at what i wrote and said "never post when you just get up and are in a rush to go to work." I'm sorry for sounds so stupid and unorganized. I don't think any of us have any plan to act like an NPC sorority because we are more service goaled then social though we do what to do some social. I don't know how to classify what we want to do kind of Service/Social/Sisterhood but no goals of being NPC. I think truly from everything we have been throwing around the Athena Room, We really want to be more like either a multicultural sorority which we do not have on campus or service where we only have OPhiA and GSS.We did have a chapter of Gamma Rho Lambda but it seems to have disappeared. I hope i have cleared up my meanings and will definetly not post first thing in the morning when my brain isn't working.
From what you've expressed, the first step I think you ladies need to take is decide exactly WHAT you want. Based on what you've written above, it isn't clear to me that you've really made that decision.
Old 02-02-2008, 12:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to BootyKBG
A-Theta-Nu, I tried replying to the PM you sent me, but it wouldn't let me. Can you e-mail me directly at vice@kappabetagamma.org? Thanks.