GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,466
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Angelow
» Online Users: 2,299
0 members and 2,299 guests
No Members online

Old 12-26-2007, 04:54 PM
GreekChat Member

An Expansion Story

I’ve got to say, I LOVE reading the recruitment threads on GC. However, I didn’t go through anything like this. My local chapter became nationally affiliated last year. I know my user name plainly states my GLO so there’s no surprise element, but I think I have an interesting story anyway.

In May (2006) of my freshman year, I got a MySpace message from a junior at my school. It read, “Hello! This myspace profile is the beginning of a club that knows no end. In this preliminary process there are many leadership opportunities available and we are completely open to suggestion. Please check us out and tell us if you have any questions or are interested in becoming a member!” This message came from our first president, Yvette. We chatted a bit about this club, and I decided I wanted to get more active on campus. I was at the end of a long relationship so I really felt like I needed to get out there and meet people.

We chatted a bit over the summer, and in September, I found out that it was going to be a sorority named Alpha Sigma Delta. With the president and VP, we started our first recruitment at the club fair on campus. We had rush week and basically did COB for the rest of the quarter. Our rituals and symbols were temporary and flexible, because we had one goal: go national.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-26-2007, 06:45 PM
GreekChat Member

ooo this one sounds quite interesting!
Old 12-26-2007, 08:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkle555 View Post
ooo this one sounds quite interesting!
Agreed. I dont think i've ever seen an expansion story on here; please continue.

Old 12-26-2007, 09:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Yvette (founder and past president) had contacted NPC in the spring of 2006. My school wouldn’t allow NPC representatives (from whatever sorority) to come to campus and recruit from the ground up; it had to be a student-driven organization. We had a little over 20 members at our peak in the fall. We got letters and packages from different NPC groups throughout the quarter, and it was so exciting! By the way, the only other NPC on campus is Gamma Phi Beta. That left 25 other NPC groups. We didn’t know if we would get one package or 25!

Our adviser had to learn along with us during this process. He knew absolutely nothing about the NPC and expansion. He called our president with a vague message about getting a letter from Delta Delta Delta. We couldn’t believe such a prominent sorority was interested in us! As it turns out, they only sent us a letter saying they couldn’t offer us extension at that time. Bummer! It’s kind of like acceptance and rejection letters from colleges: packages are good, letters are bad.

The first packet came about a week after Tri Delta’s letter, and it was from Delta Phi Epsilon. We hadn’t heard from them, but oh my gosh, we got a packet!!!
Old 12-26-2007, 10:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow, how exciting to be part of something like this! Can't wait to hear the rest!
Old 12-26-2007, 10:11 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm so interested in this process...tell us more! I think it would be so fun to choose the sorority that fits your group best rather than pick a sorority based on the group already in place!

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 12-26-2007, 10:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to asa06091987
it makes me think of my chapter...we're only babies on our campus and we did this in the recent past (almost 14 years now!)
Old 12-26-2007, 10:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asa06091987 View Post
it makes me think of my chapter...we're only babies on our campus and we did this in the recent past (almost 14 years now!)
That's funny to think of 14 years as a baby chapter! The other NPC on my campus is only 19 years old and they're huge and well-established! My school is only 42 years old, though...hmm...
Old 12-26-2007, 11:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to asa06091987
lol yeah the oldest greek org on my campus was founded in like 1920 or something...it actually might be older, because im not sure when the fraternity was founded in general...Kappa Sigma anyone? but then the other 4 fraternities on my campus all came in before 1960's (ish) and the sororities right after... i think starting around 1974ish... the second youngest is about 29...
Old 12-27-2007, 12:21 AM
GreekChat Member

OOOOO! this is such an exciting thread.

i cannot wait to see what happens!

Forever and Ever my love goes to Royal Purple and Pure Gold
Old 12-27-2007, 12:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
I'm so interested in this process...tell us more! I think it would be so fun to choose the sorority that fits your group best rather than pick a sorority based on the group already in place!
The process is rather interesting - going through the packets, presentations, discussions on which group to invite, etc.
Old 12-27-2007, 01:35 AM
GreekChat Member

I want to hear more of this! The last time SMU expanded was in 1994 when AXO came on and I was just a kid back then so I've never gotten to learn about this. It's really interesting to see who would fit with your group of girls instead of finding girls to fit with the national group. More, please!
Old 12-27-2007, 08:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SthrnZeta
This reminds me of wishinhopin's thread...
Old 12-27-2007, 01:52 PM
GreekChat Member

You guys are gonna hate me, but I'm going on a ski trip today! I should've thought about that before I started this. Oooops! I'll add a little more now.

A few weeks after Delta Phi Epsilon's package, we got a package from Kappa Alpha Theta. A package! From Theta! I called my president and excitedly told her the news.

Shortly after that, we got another package. It was from Kappa Kappa Gamma. They actually sent us three binders (copies of each other), and we were impressed with that. According to NPC rules, we were allowed to pick 3 NPC groups to present to us. By the time the deadline had passed, those were the only three we had gotten. We did get letters a while later from Alpha Omicron Pi and Tri Sigma (Yvette says Sigma Kappa, too, but I'm not sure) saying something similar to Tri Delta. I think AOII said they were interested but couldn't expand at this time. It was nice to get so much attention!

We had a sleepover and poured over the packets. We split up into groups and wrote out a fact sheet for each group and ranked them according to all kinds of things (philanthropy, total members, NM period). We all liked Theta and Kappa. D Phi's packet seemed really small and less organized. :-/ Sorry to any D Phi's who read this, but we just weren't as impressed with their presentation.

This all took place in November and December of 2006. We had to wait until mid-January for presentations! Delta Phi Epsilon ended up dropping out, and I never heard why. I'm glad we didn't have to prepare ourselves for 3 presentations, because 2 was hard enough!

Ok, to be continued on the 31st! So sorry!

Last edited by LucyKKG; 05-02-2008 at 04:20 AM. Reason: fixed a date
Old 12-27-2007, 01:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
You have fun on your ski trip & we will all look forward to the "rest of the story!"