GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,466
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Angelow
» Online Users: 2,041
1 members and 2,040 guests
fmanning

Old 10-18-2007, 06:35 PM
GreekChat Member

I am a college freshman and I want to start a sorority at my school..

I go to a small university in Maine, and i am really interested in starting a sorority at my school. My school doesnt and has never had sororities or fraternities here. I have a few questions I was hoping someone could answer..

what is the national affiliation i've been reading about?
and what do they Greek letters/names ACTUALLY mean to the sorority/fraternity?
what are some ideas of basis for a sorority? (ex: reasons for starting it)

Any help would be great! thanks.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-18-2007, 06:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimi6389 View Post
I go to a small university in Maine, and i am really interested in starting a sorority at my school. My school doesnt and has never had sororities or fraternities here. I have a few questions I was hoping someone could answer..

what is the national affiliation i've been reading about?
what are some ideas of basis for a sorority? (ex: reasons for starting it)

Any help would be great! thanks.
what is the national affiliation i've been reading about? -
national affiliation means a chapter of a sorority is part of a national organization and not a "local" or "regional". "Local" meaning it is the only chapter of that sorority, "regional" meaning there are two or more chapters in a geographic area.

"National" implies there are chapters across the U.S.

Most meanings of the letters are only known to the members themselves and you will likely not get many answers regarding this.

what are some ideas of basis for a sorority? (ex: reasons for starting it) - if you do not know why you want to start a sorority, I'm not sure why you are wanting to start one in the first place?
Old 10-18-2007, 06:54 PM
Unregistered-

In addition to the great advice texas*princess posted, you WILL want to read this thread.

It's quite lengthy and contains about 3 years' worth of discussion, but it'll give you an idea of all the time and effort you're going to have to put into starting a sorority.
Old 10-18-2007, 07:16 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't usually even look at this forum...

But in regards to your question of meaning of letters...

Typically these represent either a motto, or a statement about the group or are sort of an acronym for the groups ideals.

So like if you start a group and decide your big ideals are Friendship, Community Service and Love, you could call your group FCL...except that you'd find what the Greek words are and use those letters. Alternatively, maybe you start a group in which your motto is "For the Greater Good", translate it to greek and find the letters that you would need.

While secrecy is a "cool" part of being greek, I've heard other groups mottoes and what their letters mean, and it's kind of one of those <shrug> moments, because those letters don't mean anything to me. My letters mean a lot to me because of the people, memories, and personal growth they represent, not because of their actual literal translation (even though that is somewhat profound).

- Abraham Lincoln
Old 10-18-2007, 08:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlwaysSAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post
In addition to the great advice texas*princess posted, you WILL want to read this thread.

It's quite lengthy and contains about 3 years' worth of discussion, but it'll give you an idea of all the time and effort you're going to have to put into starting a sorority.
I don't think NBO ever went anywhere though. After I read the whole thread one day at work I did some digging about her school. They did have 2 NPC chapters when I checked--KKG and something else. But no TNX.

It's a long road and it's not always a successful one.
Old 10-18-2007, 08:42 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysSAI View Post
I don't think NBO ever went anywhere though. After I read the whole thread one day at work I did some digging about her school. They did have 2 NPC chapters when I checked--KKG and something else. But no TNX.

It's a long road and it's not always a successful one.
Exactly.

I was going to mention that in my earlier post, but I decided against it because I didn't want to give the OP the impression that her sorority (should she continue to pursue starting one) would meet the same fate. I just wanted her to see that it's a whole crapload of work.

Regarding UCSC's NPCs, Gamma Phi Beta was there first, followed by KKG recently. The reasons why TNX decided not to expand to UCSC were never disclosed, so I guess we should just leave it at that.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimi6389 View Post
I go to a small university in Maine, and i am really interested in starting a sorority at my school. My school doesnt and has never had sororities or fraternities here.
Well I know you don't go to Colby or Bowdoin, since I know they've both had Greek Life in the past. (In fact, my sorority was founded at Colby and I wished for a second that Colby would bring Greeks back and SK could return) Anyways, among things that other posters have been telling you, you'll have to consider a couple things:

1. Since there are no Greeks at your school, is your administration dead set against it? Before starting a sorority, you need your school's approval to even have Greeks.
2. Are students interested in Greek Life at your school, meaning both women interested in joining a sorority and men interested in joining a fraternity? It would be hard to exist in a bubble. I don't know where you go to school, but I know that schools without Greeks can sometimes have a very anti-Greek attitude like
“I’m so happy we don't have fraternities and sororities at Bowdoin. That's one of the reasons I came here.”
—Aliza Marks ’04

It'd be easier (but still no picnic) if your school already had a Greek community and you wanted to add another. There is still a complicated process that a campus Panhellenic has to go through to add a sorority.

Are you interested in founding your own sorority or starting a new chapter of an existing NPC, NPHC, or cultural or multicultural sorority?
Old 10-31-2007, 04:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Greetings!!!

Hello to you who care about finding out more about Greeks on campus. Kappa Delta Chi Sorority is seeking Community service minded ladies to charter the sisterhood at their own universities across the nation.

We welcome the opportunity of expanding our sisterhood to your campus. If you would like further information about KDChi and the expansion process, please contact our Expansion Chair Mani Banwait at extrecruitment@kappadeltachi.org

My name is Gina and I'm a Kappa Delta Chi alumni sister and Mentors Inc Mentor in Washington DC. KDChi is a multi-cultural sisterhood chock full of professionals of all kinds. It's a community service driven organization with the bonus of networking with professional, graduate and undergraduate sisters coast to coast.

It's hard to describe in words what Kappa Delta Chi has meant to me over the years. It's kind of like trying to describe what you've explained with your friends and family have meant to you in one sentence alone. It can't be done right?! That is what it would be like to attempt to describe what it is that has added to our lives, memories, and special times.

KDChi is an addition to our lives and changes you not in the sense that you will be broken down and rebuilt, but the lessons come from our moments of serving the community, attending conferences, mentoring youth across the nation, working with amazing advisors of organizations, creating conferences of our own that reach out to high school and junior high students informing them of the importance of education and the ability of each and everyone of our future leaders and teaching the way step by step that they can get there. We have sisters who hold PhD's, teach children, run National Organizations, work for the National Securities Council, manage Lockheed Martin, and serve in the military with the Department of Defense against the war in Afganistan! We're truly a sisterhood for people from all walks of life! KDChi is a family, service opportunity, networking arena, mini-business because of the many ideas and visions we create and follow through. KDChi in a way prepares you for life in many facets of human capability. It's everything you can get out of every organization professional, service based, and sisterhood in one!

KDChi has been featured in numerous magazines, publications and in various local news newspaper and television affiliates for the community activities and academic outstanding. Recognition is not what KDChi is all about though. More so, we're proud of what we do for the surrounding communities. We've also been recognized by the current Presidential administration for our outstanding service to the national communities.

There is no way to describe what our sisterhood is like. It's a life changing transformation and KDChi doesn't try to "break you down" and build you back up...Kappa Delta Chi allows you to grow on your own through the projects of reaching out in the community, making wonderful things happen, teaching professional workshops, and sharing the stories that you hold dear to your heart with so many other marvelous ladies! KDChi is a community service sisterhood at the heart of it all and we are the very best of friends to each other and have a wonderful time! I kid you not, I too have researched many sisterhoods because I wasn't sure which one I wanted to be a part of if any and there is none comparable to the astonishing ladies of KDChi and the amazing things these community leaders are doing while in college as well as what they continue to do as a part of our alumni sisters.

What is truly exciting about being a sister is that although I'm so far away, they never cease to amaze me in their continued support, love, and dedication to making me feel as if I never left home! Also I have many sisters here working in DC as well as sisters in New Jersey and many sisters at all locations around the nation who have such an immense ambition and outstanding leadership qualities and contacts that I never knew so many women who had their lives so together! It honestly makes you feel so good to see so many independent, successful, well educated, loving, caring, honest, devoted, self-less, ladies who will be there for me and the rest of our sisters under any circumstances!

If in fact you believe in these qualities that we share in and are looking for a place to serve the community, network with associates of all kinds, excel academically, and be successful in all areas of human capability, then WE WANT YOU TO BE A PART OF OUR SISTERHOOD!

Go to kappadeltachi.com and learn about an organization that can positively benefit every aspect of your life...with KDChi we welcome you to find your niche in this large university life we know as home! It is very possible and well worth it to create a foundation at your University that will create this circle of family and do not feel at all intimidated about beginning KDChi there, that's what we are here for to be here to help you and guide through whatever it is that you need! That is how KDChi is growing and expanding around the nation!

The following is about KDChi, just some quick information just so that you can get to know us better!

Some background on KDChi:
-Founded in 1987 by 4 women at Texas Tech University
-Principles: Unity, Honesty, Integrity and Leadership
-Colors: Pink and Maroon
-Flower: Pink Rose
-Jewel: Emerald
-Mascot: Penguin
-Nickname: "KDChi"
-Type of sorority: Service
-We pride ourselves on community service, academic achievement and standing out as leaders in our University and surrounding local and national communities.
-Our website is kappadeltachi.com
-KDX has an established National Alumni Association.
-KDX has university-recognized chapters Coast to Coast and is proud to call Civil Rights Activist Dolores Huerta a sister.
-KDX is a certified 501c7 non-profit organization

We welcome the opportunity of expanding our sisterhood to your campus. If you would like further information about KDChi and the expansion process, please contact our Expansion Chair Mani Banwait at extrecruitment@kappadeltachi.org

With sincerest best wishes with your researching a sorority,
Gina Garcia
Kappa Delta Chi Sorority Inc. -Pi Chapter Alum