GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,654
Threads: 115,519
Welcome to our newest member, Artisancne
» Online Users: 901
0 members and 901 guests
No Members online

Old 07-24-2007, 09:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Clothes?

This may be an odd question but, are there certain colors you "should" or "shouldn't" wear? obviously not crazy prints and things, but do you want to be noticed or blend in? ( and by noticed i mean wearing bright colors). and also... if there is one sorority i am particularly interested in(because of involvement not a stereotype) , is it smart to wear their chapter colors "by conincidence"?
thanks! i am rushing next month and im starting now to get all my clothes together! : )
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-24-2007, 09:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shommy View Post
if there is one sorority i am particularly interested in(because of involvement not a stereotype) , is it smart to wear their chapter colors "by conincidence"?
NO.

Please do not wear a particular sorority's colors or symbols...
A) You'll turn off other chapters, and since it is MUTAL SELECTION, that's not a good thing. You don't always get your #1 choice.
B) It looks stalkerish, not flattering.

Good luck.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:14 AM
GreekChat Member

I would follow whatever your panhellenic outlines as appropriate attire. As said in many threads, you want to put your best foot forward and look appropriate for the day. I always like the idea of a special piece of jewlery to make you stand out -- like a memorable bracelet or necklace. As for the colors, I never even noticed if a girl wore our colors to a party, and if I did I would have just chalked it up to coincidence. The year I was a recruitment counsler pink was a very "in" color, so lots of the girls wore pink, but I don't think that necessairly made anyone think that they wanted to go Phi Mu.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:19 AM
GreekChat Member

I think it depends on where you're rushing and what you're wearing. Nautical themes are very in this year, so most people wouldn't automatically assume that a girl who came to the first night or recruitment wearing a sailboat sweater from J. Crew only wanted Tri Sigma and nothing else.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieXi View Post
The year I was a recruitment counsler pink was a very "in" color, so lots of the girls wore pink, but I don't think that necessairly made anyone think that they wanted to go Phi Mu.
Pink a popular color, and not very obvious...but if a woman showed up in blue & gold, wouldn't you wonder about her...just a little??
Old 07-24-2007, 09:30 AM
GreekChat Member

If she showed up wearing a yellow and blue striped polo shirt from jcrew...not so much, since its a bit of a preppy combination.

If she she showed up with a yellow shirt, light blue cardigan, and navy blue pants we would think that it was weird.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:39 AM
GreekChat Member

I'd go with whatever colors make you look and feel the best.

I would not purposely wear a sororities colors especially some of the more blatantly obvious combos. I'd also avoid purposely wearing any sorority's symbol/mascot. It can come across as presumptious for that Chapter and it can turn off the other ones. Unless that happens to be your favorite color/object/animal, then it could be a great conversation topic.

Something else to keep in mind, a pnm might have a preconcieved notion she wants to go ABC but once she's in Recruitment realizes that XYZ is a better fit for her. You never want to do anything that might limit your options.

Last edited by Zillini; 07-24-2007 at 09:41 AM.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Wear what you look good in. The house already knows their colors and may not even notice you wearing them. Make yourself look good, and let your personality shine through, that's what's important.

And i would say stay away from all black. It'll be hot out, and that's creepy. Actually, all of any color would be weird. and day glo colors. that's weird, too. (unless you are in to that stuff...be yourself. don't dress how you normally wouldn't just so you fit in and then realize you'll either have to buy a whole new wadrobe so you fit in the rest of your life or dress how you normally do and not be happy...)

But definitely think about getting a signature headband or something...a girl last year wore the same J. Crew headband most of the week and I spoke to her on the first day and commented on it because i have the same one...whenever I was walking out in the next days I could easily pick her out of the crowd...it made it easier to go to my sisters and say "hey, you know Susie PM with that cute J Crew headband? She's soooo awesome/hot/funny/caring!"

oh...and maybe don't have your mind made up about a house before you've gone through recruitment. I had my mind made up (through visiting websites and knowing actives) and then it completely changed the first day of recruitment.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrphimu View Post
But definitely think about getting a signature headband or something...
OK, when I first read this, I thought you were talking about something like this and was going to say "what has this poor girl done to you that you're trying to destroy her rush?"

Then I realized you meant something more like this.

LOL
Old 07-24-2007, 01:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
OK, when I first read this, I thought you were talking about something like this and was going to say "what has this poor girl done to you that you're trying to destroy her rush?"

Then I realized you meant something more like this.

LOL
haha...with the first option you could definitely talk about your passion for tennis, though...that'd be a good ice breaker
Old 07-24-2007, 02:14 PM
GreekChat Member

While we are on this topic, I will share a story of WHAT NOT TO WEAR to a recruitment event.... (which is also under the Weird Recruitment Stories Thread)

We had close to 400 girls go through spring formal recruitment. The whether was on the chilly side since it was January, so girls weren't super dressed up, but still usually looked very nice. Elon often pushed girls to make sure their name tags were noticable or that they would wear something to make them stand out - esp. if you had a common name. (One year we had 2 Megan Rogers, 2 Ashley Browns and a Tess & Jess Fowler -- no relation, etc.).

In 1999 we had a PNM come through recruitment during first round. She was decked out in Pink! She had a pink shirt on, pink legging pants (you know, the kind you wore in elementry school when they were cool!), white socks with pink pom poms on them, and pink flats. To top it off she was wearing a "pink ladies" jacket...ya know, from Greese! And all she talked about was how she wanted to be a pink lady! (i don't know if she realized she was in the AZD house and we have nothing to do with the color pink except for our rose!) Needless to say, she was cut from everyone...even from Phi Mu.

So I implore PNMs: Do not do something like this to get a sororities attention!!!
Old 07-24-2007, 02:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieXi View Post
In 1999 we had a PNM come through recruitment during first round. She was decked out in Pink! She had a pink shirt on, pink legging pants (you know, the kind you wore in elementry school when they were cool!), white socks with pink pom poms on them, and pink flats. To top it off she was wearing a "pink ladies" jacket...ya know, from Greese! And all she talked about was how she wanted to be a pink lady! (i don't know if she realized she was in the AZD house and we have nothing to do with the color pink except for our rose!) Needless to say, she was cut from everyone...even from Phi Mu.

So I implore PNMs: Do not do something like this to get a sororities attention!!!
LOL! I had a girl tell me last year (after finding out pink was one of Phi Mu's colors) during recruitment that she was going to suicide us because pink is her favorite color. I mean, pink is my favorite color too...but still...

PS, i love a girl in stretchy pants.
Old 07-24-2007, 02:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrphimu View Post

PS, i love a girl in stretchy pants.
I just had a Daria flashback...

Oh my God, I'M wearing strechpants!!!
Leggings, Stacy, you're wearing leggings.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:18 AM
GreekChat Member

I think black is a great colors to start with, but I would be a little creeped out if a girl came to our party in all Black and Gold....

Anyways, remember that you will not always have time to change between parties and you want to wear something each round that will showcase you as an individual!

Old 08-08-2007, 12:40 PM
GreekChat Member

feeling good being you

Wear something that you would normally wear but more dressy. Wearing something like their exact colors in my opinion will distract from you. They already like their colors, they are trying to decide if you are for them. In addition, don't wear things that you would not normally wear like hats, head to toe pink, exaggerated makeup. This is not a time to experiment. One time this girl wore a very strange hat and all I could remember about her was her hat. Let your personality make the statement rather than strange fashion. Wear what makes you feel most confident and most like you because it is such a exciting and nervous time that you want to feel good in your own skin.