Threads: 115,583
Welcome to our newest member, craig171
» Online Users: 1,118
0 members and 1,118 guests
No Members online

Old 03-25-2007, 10:57 PM
Super Moderator

Black student - 7 yrs Assault/ White student - probation arson, Paris TX

To some in Paris, sinister past is backIn Texas, a white teenager burns down her family's home and receives probation. A black one shoves a hall monitor and gets 7 years in prison. The state NAACP calls it `a signal to black folks.'

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/n...,1435953.story
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 03-25-2007, 11:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to RACooper
You've got to be shitting me.... why hasn't the federal or state governments stepped in? Is there something I'm not getting here about juristiction or some local autonomy laws preventing direct involvement by state or federal officials?

"Cave ab homine unius libri"
Old 03-25-2007, 11:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
Well . . . she's black.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:21 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACooper View Post
You've got to be shitting me.... why hasn't the federal or state governments stepped in? Is there something I'm not getting here about juristiction or some local autonomy laws preventing direct involvement by state or federal officials?
My guess is that there's some very relevant material not being presented by the newspaper. For example, Ms. Cotton could have been coerced into a full confession to the crime of "assault on a public servant," which in Texas is a class 3 felony, punishable by between 2 and 10 years in the pokey.

The arson convict could have been represented by counsel from the get-go, not confessed and had a reasonably ok defense. Texas law allows the crime of arson in her circumstances to be prosecuted as a "state jail felony" or even a "class A" misdemeanor. The state jail felony would only carry up to 2 years while the misdemeanor might not even involve significant jail time.

It is possible that race wasn't a factor here and that money was.

As many cases as judges hear over a career, it would probably be pretty easy to take the outcome of one case which came out in a manner very palatable to the defendant and another showing an unfair or shocking outcome. The article only shows that this has happened. One outcome was defendant friendly, one was shocking. Not that there is a systemic problem in Paris, Texas which is anything more egregious than the rest of America where monied people will almost always receive a better outcome in the criminal system than the impecunious.

What gets me is the prosecutor's choice to apply that statute. It seems crafted to apply to individuals who the defendant knows are charged with upholding the law. It seems similar to assaulting a police officer. It seems unreasonable to me to say that an assault on a school official should carry such a substantially higher penalty than assault on someone not acting in some official capacity. That was the Texas legislature's decision to make though... I just wonder if this was the outcome they would have wanted.

While the article is very obviously one-sided, I think this outcome at least merits an investigation. The U.S. Department of Education is currently investigating the school system. I'd like to see some inquiry made into the prosecutor's office as well.

I still think it's going to be pretty difficult to determine whether this is a case of racial discrimination or a case of prosecutors taking advantage of those who are unable to secure adequate legal representation.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 03-26-2007, 01:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Another link.

http://www.ybpguide.com/2007/03/13/p...in-plain-view/

Unsure of its validity. But there is talk on the internet and something will happen and it will look ugly...

"Yo soy una mujer negra" ~Zoe Saldana
Old 03-26-2007, 10:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Can you clarify on what will supposedly happen and why it will be ugly?
Old 03-27-2007, 01:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinerbock View Post
Can you clarify on what will supposedly happen and why it will be ugly?
You know the chatter you hear...

Old 03-27-2007, 08:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Still confused, guess I'll know it if i see it.
Old 03-28-2007, 03:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JonInKC
There'll be more bloggings! Someone will write a very tersely worded letter to the editor!

p a w e a since 1899
Old 03-28-2007, 04:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Kevlar281
A few points…

1. The hall monitor went to the hospital
2. Shaquanda was offered a plea agreement but opted for a jury trial
3. Once she was found guilty the judge had little choice
4. She was given a indeterminate sentence not 7 years
5. Sensationalism makes for poor journalism
Old 03-28-2007, 09:01 AM
GreekChat Member

rabble rabble rabble
Old 03-31-2007, 12:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Update

Update

BREAKING NEWS: Cotton to be released

Staff reports
The Paris News

Published March 30, 2007

Shaquanda Cotton is to be released Saturday from the Texas Youth Commission facility in Brownwood, according to a report from the Associated Press.

"We are glad she is getting out and are happy for her family but we have concerns about the way it is happening," Lamar County District Attorney spokesman Allan Hubbard said.

Rep. Harold Dutton, the Houston Democrat who chairs the House juvenile justice committee, said the newly appointed conservator of the Texas Youth Commission told him Cotton was being freed, according to the AP report.

"This is one of those cases that is the poster child of everything wrong with the criminal justice system," Dutton told the AP.

Dutton said he was informed of Cotton's pending release by Jay Kimbrough, who Gov. Rick Perry appointed to investigate the agency accused of ignoring multiple allegations of sexual and physical abuse of young inmates.

"Apparently, cases that get the most public attention can grab the ear of state legislators who can simply order people to be freed from incarceration," Hubbard said. "That sets an alarming precedent."

Local activist Brenda Cherry, a friend of the girl's mother, confirmed that they have been told of Shaquanda's release.

"She should be home by tomorrow," Cherry said.

Dutton told the AP late today that the 15-year-old would be released to her mother on Saturday. He said Creola Cotton was unable to pick up her daughter on Friday because of bad weather

Last edited by AKA_Monet; 03-31-2007 at 12:20 AM.
Old 03-31-2007, 10:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA_Monet View Post
Update

BREAKING NEWS: Cotton to be released

Staff reports
The Paris News

Published March 30, 2007

Shaquanda Cotton is to be released Saturday from the Texas Youth Commission facility in Brownwood, according to a report from the Associated Press.

"We are glad she is getting out and are happy for her family but we have concerns about the way it is happening," Lamar County District Attorney spokesman Allan Hubbard said.

Rep. Harold Dutton, the Houston Democrat who chairs the House juvenile justice committee, said the newly appointed conservator of the Texas Youth Commission told him Cotton was being freed, according to the AP report.

"This is one of those cases that is the poster child of everything wrong with the criminal justice system," Dutton told the AP.

Dutton said he was informed of Cotton's pending release by Jay Kimbrough, who Gov. Rick Perry appointed to investigate the agency accused of ignoring multiple allegations of sexual and physical abuse of young inmates.

"Apparently, cases that get the most public attention can grab the ear of state legislators who can simply order people to be freed from incarceration," Hubbard said. "That sets an alarming precedent."

Local activist Brenda Cherry, a friend of the girl's mother, confirmed that they have been told of Shaquanda's release.

"She should be home by tomorrow," Cherry said.

Dutton told the AP late today that the 15-year-old would be released to her mother on Saturday. He said Creola Cotton was unable to pick up her daughter on Friday because of bad weather
I am sooo glad. She was wrong for what sh e did, however her punishment did not fit the crime. Now, about "little miss firestarter". When is her tail going to be locked up?
Old 04-01-2007, 06:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Her name really is Shaquanda? I always thought that was the "stock Ebonics" name that no one really had.

Her mother should be arrested for giving her that name.
Old 04-01-2007, 07:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkin03 View Post
Her name really is Shaquanda? I always thought that was the "stock Ebonics" name that no one really had.

Her mother should be arrested for giving her that name.
If you think that's bad you should come to work with me when I am calling the roll! Shaquanda is nothing to the names I fumble over. I either get another student to help me, call last names only, or I spell it out! I