GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Sigma > Sigma Sigma Sigma
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,157
Threads: 115,583
Welcome to our newest member, craig171
» Online Users: 1,523
0 members and 1,523 guests
No Members online

Old 08-08-2006, 05:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jadis96 Send a message via Yahoo to jadis96
This year I am going to....

as a teacher this is the start of my "year" so I am doing a resolution. This year I am going to be more positive and work on managing my stress level.

Anyone else want to add something they are working on or want to try to work on?
Old 08-08-2006, 05:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Jadis96-good topic!

*As a graduating senior, I'm going set an example to the new members of my chapter.

*I'm going to get accepted to my top choice Masters program.

*I'm going to do more community service (preferably through CASA and my local department of children's services).

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 08-08-2006 at 07:15 PM.
Old 08-09-2006, 07:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sigma3
I'm going to start working out on a regular basis.

I'm going to donate money to my chapter and try harder to stay in touch with the actives.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigma3
I'm going to start working out on a regular basis.

I'm going to donate money to my chapter and try harder to stay in touch with the actives.
Hey not to sound random, but I just noticed you are in Louisville. I live in New Albany. Maybe I know you!! Are you in the Louisville Alum Chpater?
Old 08-12-2006, 04:48 AM
GreekChat Member

-- I will make the second year of my PhD even more productive than the first, even though my supervisors said they were pleased with what I'd done so far. I am determined to graduate on time with the final three letters to complete the set. (Come on 2008!)

-- I will not be afraid of the staff at the Archivio di Stato in Venice - they may be rude and unhelpful, but by God they will help me. Likewise for any other Italian state archive, or grumpy library staff in general.

-- I will stop feeling guilty for taking a day off or going on holiday. Resting one's mind is important for productivity (am suffering from major academic overload after a research trip).

-- Will sleep more, and try to cut back on caffeine consumption. Though I do love my coffee... Mmm.

Great topic, jadis!

Cheers,
Laura
Old 08-13-2006, 12:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShyViolet

-- I will stop feeling guilty for taking a day off or going on holiday. Resting one's mind is important for productivity (am suffering from major academic overload after a research trip).

Laura I think this is something we all need to work on! When did it start feeling like a bad thing to take a day off for your mental health?
Old 08-13-2006, 08:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Laura I think this is something we all need to work on! When did it start feeling like a bad thing to take a day off for your mental health?
I know! It's so prevalent in academia that it does my head in! Especially among PhD students, postdocs, teaching fellows and young lecturers. While we do have something to prove (in advancing our research and standing within the department) it can't all be about who can work the longest. I have friends in physics and history who get so obsessive about work that they can't really give themselves a break. Not even to be spontaneous and go to the cinema at 8pm. Holidays are good, and I'm hoping to take one (my first since a 2-day hiking trip in May) at the beginning of September.

Cheers,
Laura

/hijack
Old 08-14-2006, 10:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShyViolet
I know! It's so prevalent in academia that it does my head in! Especially among PhD students, postdocs, teaching fellows and young lecturers. While we do have something to prove (in advancing our research and standing within the department) it can't all be about who can work the longest. I have friends in physics and history who get so obsessive about work that they can't really give themselves a break. Not even to be spontaneous and go to the cinema at 8pm. Holidays are good, and I'm hoping to take one (my first since a 2-day hiking trip in May) at the beginning of September.

Cheers,
Laura

/hijack
Let us know how the vacation goes!
Old 08-15-2006, 03:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Finally, but not till Jan.

Actually going to start and finish grad school. Was trying to get home---CA---and enroll in school, and find apt and move less than week.
Rather than go about it in my (former) madcap way, taking a breath, heading down next week to start searching for abode, and proceed in a normal way so can get off to a good start.
Old 09-30-2006, 09:38 AM
GreekChat Member

I went on holiday to...

Cardiff! I know, I know, a lot of people slag off the Welsh (for no good reason), but I decided to go to Cardiff as I'd never been and wanted a city break. I stayed right in the heart of the city for four days and had a fantastic time. The weather was great, especially the day I went to Cardiff Castle, where I then sat out on the grounds for a few hours drawing.

Anyway, here are a few photos: The first is of the oldest part of the castle which is up on a hill inside the walls (climbing to the top of that is a workout!).

The second is of Cardiff Bay (this is the Antarctic Expedition photo - with the Norwegian Church in the background where Roald Dahl was baptised)

And the last one is of the Millenium Centre (which says in Welsh and English: "In these stones horizons sing".

Enjoy! Now back to my 17th century document.