GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,514
Threads: 115,514
Welcome to our newest member, Broncogky
» Online Users: 1,446
1 members and 1,445 guests
Xidelt

Old 07-25-2005, 02:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to twhrider13
What Makes a Good Rusher?

I couldn't sleep, so I decided to post this question that I thought of earlier in the week. What would you say makes a good rusher? What could a person do--besides the obvious, like be genuine, don't make any huge social faux pas, and be truly interested in the other person--to make YOU want to join their chapter? Feel free to include stories, if you want.

If something similar has been posted before, I apologize.

And, yes, before anyone asks, I am asking because I'm the worst rusher in the history of the planet!
Old 07-25-2005, 03:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Good rushers know how to put the rushee at ease. This includes not saying awkward things, and not reacting when the PNM says awkward things. You know how sometimes you'll be talking to someone, and what they're saying isn't all that shocking, but just the way they phrase it sounds awful? That's a bad rusher. Good rushers seem to find a pleasant spin on everything.

Good rushers don't spit out questions at the PNM and then forget to listen to the answer because they are thinking of their next question. Instead, a good rusher would ask an initial question, listen to the answer, and then delve deeper with a follow-up question.

A good rusher is able to give a compliment that sounds genuine and doesn't come off as forced or cheesy.

A good rusher can meet a girl, carry on a good conversation with her, AND remember what her name was, what she had on and what her hair looks like. You'd be surprised at the # of people whose notes between parties are blank because they have no clue who they'd been talking to after the first bump.

Good rushers are able to be AWARE of the bumping situation at hand without putting forth obvious effort. No matter how well your conversation is going, if you've got shifty eyes that are looking out for the girl who bumps you, you're not a great rusher.
Old 07-25-2005, 07:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Well said Carolina.

Some other things that often come from experience and are hard to teach, especially new members who are rushing for the first time on the other side. Good rushers are able to gently steer conversations so that they can guage a PNMs personality to determine if she would be an asset to the Chapter. They don't fall into the meaningless "chit chat" trap and they look beyond the physical. They don't fall in love with every PNM who walks through the door, but they also aren't unduly harsh. They are able to help a shy/overwhelmed PNM open up.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:11 AM
Super Moderator

a good rusher is able to make a connection with the pnm. they are at ease so that helps put the pnm at ease. they make the pnm feel welcome and that they truly are glad to meet them. they want to portray their sorority in the best possible light. i knew that every girl walking thru our door would not join, but i felt that if they left our house thinking what a great bunch of girls the zetas are, then i had really accomplished something.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:15 AM

A good rusher puts each PNM at ease. She makes the PNM forget that she is at a rush party and essentially being interviewed, and makes the PNM feel as if she is simply talking to a new acquaintance.

A good rusher has more insightful questions than "What dorm are you in?" and "What's your major?" and the dreaded "So, do you have any questions about XYZ?" (That last isn't necessarily a bad question, but it is bad when every single sister at XYZ asks that question! )

A good rusher can think on her feet, so that if a PNM does say/ask something awkward, she can keep her cool and respond and steer the conversation elsewhere.

A good rusher has good recall, so that she can remember who she spoke to at each party and what she learned about each PNM.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:52 AM
GreekChat Member

A good recruiter:

1) Knows Recruitment is EVERYDAY. She is a public relations ambassador for her sorority, her university, her community and her family. She represents her sorority well by looking, acting and dressing her personal best both DURING recruitment and BEFORE/AFTER recruitment-- in class, driving down the street, at a fraternity party, in her attitudes toward her sisters and classmates and the way she carries herself

2) Makes good grades and manages her time effectively

3) helps others-- sisters, friends, family and volunteers in her community. She is polite and gracious.

4) Pays her dues on time

5) Leads by example

6) Doesn't speak ill of her chapter or chapter sisters and would never talk about a friend behind her back

7) Is honest. If something troubles her, she tactfully and clearly brings it up to the appropriate party.

8) Gives a firm handshake and sincere smile

9) is genuinely interested in hearing what you have to say. She listens and is able to paraphrase your words--- and then carry the conversation by asking you another question or taking what you have said to highlight a point about her sorority and her sorority experience

10) knows her sorority's history, values and hierarchy

11) makes you feel at ease and happy to talk to her. She finds the common bond you share-- whether it is a hobby, favorite tv show, dreaded course or interest in being Greek. She will find it!

12) she leaves you with a strong positive impression-- you think to yourself-- What a wonderful person that was!
Old 07-25-2005, 11:04 AM

*A good rusher asks questions that branch off into other things and get the PNM TALKING.

Example:

Rusher: "What high school did you go to?"
PNM: "I went to Somewhere High."
Rusher: "Did you play any sports there?"
PNM: "I played softball."
Rusher: "Do you have a favorite moment from high school softball?"
PNM: "Oh wow, there was this one time when we....."

And that opens up the PNM to talking about HERSELF and her experiences. You can open that up and maybe mention how well your chapter does at intramural softball in the spring.

* A good rusher makes the PNM feel comfortable in a sometimes nervewrecking situation.

*A good rusher knows NPC guidelines and follows them.

*A good rusher has an oustanding memory. She can remember FULL names, outfit desciptions, and other useful recall info.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 07-25-2005 at 11:09 AM.
Old 07-25-2005, 11:26 AM
Super Moderator

All EXCELLENT suggestions!! I'll just add one to the list:

-Learn how to ask a question that does NOT require a Yes or No answer; it leads to easier conversation.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
* Give a firm handshake. A weak or hesitant handshake is a vote of no- confidence. Extend yours first, you are the hostess. Always introduce yourself as you are doing so.
"Hello, I'm Suzie Sorority, welcome to ABC"
"Oh, hello, I'm Fran Freshman, it's nice to meet you".

When excusing yourself, the SAME RULES apply. Extend your hand, firm handshake, and repeat the person's name back to them.
"I'm sorry that I have to leave, but it was lovely talking to you Fran, I hope you have a great recruitment experience. May I introduce you to my sister Anne? Anne, this is Fran Freshman..would you please excuse me?"
(also eases the introduction process for the next sister)

Repeating her name back to her means that you were engaged enough to remember her name and it reinforces her name to you later when you are ranking.

I guess in my eyes, a good rusher is courteous and polite, yet not so super-mannered that they make other people feel awkward. Sometimes all that formality is too much for people. There is a fine, fine line between courtesy and snobbery.
Old 07-25-2005, 01:22 PM
GreekChat Member

This is a great thread and reminded me how recruitment can be excellent training for countless business and real life situations. It's amazing how many people never learn the art of conversation!

I second the confident handshake suggestion and the tip about asking questions that require more than yes or no answers. Using someone's name a couple of times in the course of conversation will help you remember it as well as help the PNM feel more at ease and welcome. Also remember to wear your name tag on the right hand side of your chest. It is easily spotted when someone reaches for your confident handshake.
Old 07-25-2005, 03:23 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree! In talking it over with other sorority women, it is generally agreed that our experiences with sorority recruitment have made us great interviewers/interviewees and networking meeting mavens!

ETA: Not to open the flame wars, but ... Haven't you also found when you're in a painful small-talk cocktail conversation with someone new that you may never see again and probably wouldn't have cared to talk to in the first place.... that you can make it through by calling back on your sorority training? You can be gracious and appear interested-- giving that person a positive impression of you-- flawlessly.
Old 07-25-2005, 05:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by adpiucf
ETA: Not to open the flame wars, but ... Haven't you also found when you're in a painful small-talk cocktail conversation with someone new that you may never see again and probably wouldn't have cared to talk to in the first place.... that you can make it through by calling back on your sorority training? You can be gracious and appear interested-- giving that person a positive impression of you-- flawlessly.
It's helped me so much in interviewing people. I always dreaded interviewing people for an article, but it's lot easier now.
Old 07-25-2005, 06:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LyonLuv
handshake

Handshakes are a great way to make a first impression BUT you have to check your recruitment rules first. During my panhellenic spring rush sister's are not allowed to touch PNMs, no matter what. If you do, it's considered an infraction.
Old 07-25-2005, 06:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to TNPhiMu
A good recruiter can BE HERSELF! So many people are a great face during recruitment and can talk to anyone, but then after recruitment, they are a completely different person. The best recruiters are the ones who are always wonderful!
Old 07-25-2005, 08:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Long-distance information, give me Memphis, Tennessee!
Quote:
Originally posted by adpiucf
A good recruiter:

1) Knows Recruitment is EVERYDAY. She is a public relations ambassador for her sorority, her university, her community and her family. She represents her sorority well by looking, acting and dressing her personal best both DURING recruitment and BEFORE/AFTER recruitment-- in class, driving down the street, at a fraternity party, in her attitudes toward her sisters and classmates and the way she carries herself

2) Makes good grades and manages her time effectively

3) helps others-- sisters, friends, family and volunteers in her community. She is polite and gracious.

4) Pays her dues on time

5) Leads by example

6) Doesn't speak ill of her chapter or chapter sisters and would never talk about a friend behind her back

7) Is honest. If something troubles her, she tactfully and clearly brings it up to the appropriate party.

8) Gives a firm handshake and sincere smile

9) is genuinely interested in hearing what you have to say. She listens and is able to paraphrase your words--- and then carry the conversation by asking you another question or taking what you have said to highlight a point about her sorority and her sorority experience

10) knows her sorority's history, values and hierarchy

11) makes you feel at ease and happy to talk to her. She finds the common bond you share-- whether it is a hobby, favorite tv show, dreaded course or interest in being Greek. She will find it!

12) she leaves you with a strong positive impression-- you think to yourself-- What a wonderful person that was!
Great suggestions!

Along the lines of PR, I would like to add -
Being good PR means representing your sorority well outside recruitment as well. If you are wearing letters and sleeping through class, people will get a bad impression of your sorority. Just use common sense.

More common sense, but look your rushee in the eye! If you do not make eye contact when speaking, she will be very uncomfortable.

If you have a shy rushee, you don't need to start off with a question - talk (briefly) about one of your sorority experiences, and ask what she is most looking for in a sorority. Then go from there.. ie, if she says she is looking for an opportunity for community service, tell her about some of your favorite projects, etc.

Last edited by LightBulb; 07-25-2005 at 08:21 PM.