Threads: 115,576
Welcome to our newest member, Candida
» Online Users: 1,136
0 members and 1,136 guests
No Members online

Old 03-01-2002, 04:24 PM
GreekChat Member

New Orleans Locals

Can anyone tell me about some locals at Loyola University in New Orleans? I understand that there used to be three very cool fraternities (Sigma Alpha Kappa, Upsilon Beta Lambda, and Beggars, spelled as Beta Epsilon Gamma Gamma Alpha Rho Sigma). I understand they were as old as forever and had been very strong locally, had some real history to them, but then just went inactive. Apparently Loyola has Nationals now but these new houses were founded fairly recently and not as a result of the old locals affiliating with a national. I met a guy in Law School who had attended Loyola several years ago before returning to school and he said that there were some really interesting stories about what happened to these fraternities. Unfortunately, we never got to finish that conversation and I have been curious ever since. Can anyone shed some light here? Thanks.
Old 03-01-2002, 05:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Locals

Well, I'm not sure if I can help you on the fraternity end, but there is a great locals site: http://www.geocities.com/localsororities

The girl who runs is it great and so organized. If you can't find the information there, you could at least email her (her info. is on her site) and she might be able to help her out. I believe her sorority is in Florida... so ya might wanna try to contact her.

The other thing you might want to try is getting in touch with Loyola University's historical and/or archive department. Most schools have them, and might have information of past sororities and fraternities.

GOOD LUCK...

And by the way, you're right, some locals have been around for ages... My sorority turned 100 years this past Jan!!!!!!!

Last edited by Vixenradio; 03-01-2002 at 05:37 PM.
Old 03-04-2002, 12:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
There was a BEGGARS who used to post on GC. Mainly his posts were under the risk management forum. The thread was something like Hazing isn't bad. I can't remember the exact name.

A few years ago Loyola wanted all the groups to be nationally affiliated, mainly for insurance reasons. BEGGARS went Pi Lambda Phi but they withdrew due to philosophical differences. They were only Pi Lams for maybe two years. The university recognizes BEGGARS again but they don't recognize Tri Phi which is a long established local sorority (members are from Tulane & Loyola). Back in 1984, Tri Phi split over affiliation. Half went with Delta Gamma and the other half remains local.

I can't tell you about the other locals that you mentioned. They may still exist sub-rosa.
Old 11-17-2003, 04:04 PM
GreekChat Member

One of the lawyers in my Dad's firm is a Loyola New Orleans grad. There was a recent article in his campus e-newspaper which announced the return of Sigma Alpha Kappa, one of the very old locals that went inactive about 25 years ago and has now re-emerged as a fully formed fraternity. Apparently the IFC voted to recognize them and the University approved the recognition. Welcome home SAK. My Dad's partner says they were a good bunch of guys who elected to suspend operations rather than affiliate with a national. Anybody have any more info?
Old 11-17-2003, 04:53 PM
GreekChat Member

IF GPhiLlama sees this post I'm sure she'll have something to contribute - she's a Gamma Phi new member at Loyola New Orleans.
Old 11-22-2003, 06:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: New Orleans. Or pure unpenetrable evil, depending on what I feel like at the moment.
Send a message via AIM to GPhiLlama Send a message via Yahoo to GPhiLlama
Hiiiiiiiii!

Yep, SAK was recently re-recognized by the school. I heard it had been operating underground for some time. A friend of mine is in the new pledge class. They're still really really nice guys! Never heard of the other, though.

Tri Phi-In the 80s, Loyola wanted all the sororities and fraternities to become national. Tri Phi became Delta Gamma. However, a small group of Tri Phis wanted to keep being that, so they are not recognized by the school and are forbidden to wear any jerseys on campus. I don't know much about it.

Currently, there are no local sororites on Loyola's or Tulane's campus. Not sure about UNO, Dillard, and Xavier.

BEGGARS is the oldest fraternity on Loyola's campus, and it was named so because the Pope had decreed no fraternities on campus, so a group of men went to the Pope and "begged" to have one. The Pope lifted the ban, and BEGGARS became reality.

Here's what we have: http://www.loyno.edu/students/greek

Last edited by GPhiLlama; 11-22-2003 at 06:51 PM.
Old 11-26-2003, 12:53 AM
GreekChat Member

GPhiLlama, Thanks for the update on what is happening with the Greek community at Loyola. The guy in my Dad's office told me (yesterday) that he has spoken with several of his classmates from back in the late 1960's and they say it appears that the university policy of discouraging locals has modified to allow re-establishment of chapters that had formerly been established at Loyola, could show evidence of adequate insurance coverage, and had strong alumni backing to support the return of the old organization. He said that Upsilon Beta Lambda had a very strong alumni group that had kept their identity alive all through the years of "exile" and that they would probably be back in a couple of years if not sooner. He also said that when he was an undergraduate at Loyola the Tri Phis tended to attract the Sacred Heart-McGehees crowd of old money old New Orleans establishment girls. As he pointed out, if a Loyola girl was Queen of Comus she was most likely a Tri Phi. If that is accurate then I suspect that they are still around as a sort of secret society keeping a discrete profile and will also probably be back as a visable presence on campus soon. Sounds like the Greek community is growing by leaps and bounds at Loyola. Do you know any current Tri Phis?
Old 11-26-2003, 01:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: New Orleans. Or pure unpenetrable evil, depending on what I feel like at the moment.
Send a message via AIM to GPhiLlama Send a message via Yahoo to GPhiLlama
Dekeguy, check your PMs.
Old 03-19-2004, 02:14 AM
GreekChat Member

University of New Orleans doesnt have any locals either
Old 02-05-2008, 10:58 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm a current AXO at Loyola New Orleans. We have both BEGGARS and SAK on campus. Tri Phi was kicked off campus a while ago, but you still see them around, just saw one last night. Every now and then you hear about them getting a couple girls, but they are very underground. I've never heard of Upsilon Beta Lambda at Loyola. Currently we have AXO, DG, Theta Phi Alpha, Gamma Phi Beta, Alpha Delta Gamma, Beggars, Sigma Phi Epsilon, Phi Kappa Psi, and Sigma Alpha Kappa.